Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nowthen, i have a 2005 tranny, i want to get rid of the cat so i can use leaded peterol,so i was hoping to fit a end can off a 2004[ pre cat].does anyone see a problem, the end cans and fittings look the same
also does any one make a foam filter for a2005
cheers ben

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
silverfish said:
nowthen, i have a 2005 tranny, i want to get rid of the cat so i can use leaded peterol,so i was hoping to fit a end can off a 2004[ pre cat].does anyone see a problem, the end cans and fittings look the same
also does any one make a foam filter for a2005
cheers ben
Hi Ben and welcome to the forum :)

All the 650 Alps are essentially the same regarding emissions gubbins.

The cat/subchamber is part of the header pipe system, not in the endcan and lives under the front of the swingarm, a few of us have removed it and achieved better low-mid grunt and better fuel economy to boot.

This subject has been covered in great detail so do a search for more info or check out techtransalp.co.uk

What is described as a catylist is (i believe) not a true cat but a heat tube to super heat the spent exhaust gasses, so running with leaded fuel may be ok.

I believe that unifilter (Oz) do a foam element (modification) for the 650, but I don't think that anybody's had any joy purchasing one in the UK. I had a go at putting some car airfilter foam in place of the pleated paper, wasn't a real success but worth a go!

Phil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cats

hi phil thanks for that,so i dont need to change the end can ,but will it run on leaded fuel,do you know of anyone that has done this.
thanks ben

·
Registered
448 Posts
Leaded fuel is no longer made, do you mean super unleaded or Shell V-Power, or BP Ulitimate, i can think of no reason to use leaded fuel.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi Ben
Best of luck on your proposed trip, i think when you get to darkest Russia the octane rating of the fuel might cause the engine to pink a bit (a tinkling noise on acceleration) but maybe Russian petrol is now the same octane as our own and the problem won't arise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts