Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just brought an unrestored 1963 Ariel Leader, speedo reads 5000 miles, last tax disc 1969, been in a shed since 1978. It has nearly every extra that were available for the Leader. Plan at this stage, to leave it unrestored and get it running.
Even the tyres look good, no cracks and proper whitewall.
First problem is to get the seat lock to unlock, it worked for the seller but remains firmly locked for me now its home!
PS got it opened, pulled harder!
leader1.jpg leader2.jpg

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not quite a Wing, more a Pan with builtin panniers screen and even the pullout handle to heave it onto the centre stand, but only18 bhp. Ariel did a 4 cylinder inline 700cc flat 4 prototype (BMW K) version, nothing new, but then the group decided to stop Ariel production.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Lucky you, I'm a jealous AOC Member with a '57 VH
Want to trade it for my '74 Honda XL350?
I think you are dead right not to restore the Leader.
Cheers,

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
A good clean and it will look like new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Wow how cool is that. I would change the tyres after standing around for that long:thumbup:

·
Ex seagoing truck driver
357 Posts
What a beauty. Reminds me of the early 60s, one used to go past every morning while I waited for the school bus. Good luck with getting her running.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Nice one Dave, I can remember the police riding those when I was a kid....

wp87751606_05_06.jpg

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It started first kick after fitting a new battery and replacing the 35? year old petrol (smelt old), surprised! clouds of smoke as it cleared the crankcase, at least it wont seize.
Now sort out the rest of the electrics as front lights, horn and winkers not working
Went to Bill Little jumble at Minety and found a reprinted workshop manual for the Leader and some rear shock shrouds for the Sportster.
Saw an AT, GS800 and KTM there and a neat Cheney Triumph.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
that's a right cool bike I allways liked the look of them very best of luck with it .

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
wasn't that the one affectionately known as the bath tub ?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dont think so, usually called Bleeder.
Bathtub was generally referring to the rear enclosure on late 50's cooking Triumphs - Speed Twins and Thunderbirds, Norton also had the enclosure on their Deluxe models 250, 350, 500 & 600/650? twins. The fashion possibly came from the enclosed Vincent Black Prince and Knight of 1954/55

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
It started first kick after fitting a new battery and replacing the 35? year old petrol (smelt old), surprised! clouds of smoke as it cleared the crankcase, at least it wont seize.
Now sort out the rest of the electrics as front lights, horn and winkers not working
Went to Bill Little jumble at Minety and found a reprinted workshop manual for the Leader and some rear shock shrouds for the Sportster.
Saw an AT, GS800 and KTM there and a neat Cheney Triumph.
It's going to smoke anyway, it's a 40 year old two stroke :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts