Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I have become rusty at riding. Not counting commuting, the only long-ish rides for months and months was the Welsh Invasion. This morning I took a little jaunt up to Abergavenny and over to Rockfield then back down to Chainbridge and wasn't at all happy with my standard of riding. I even turned around at one point to redo a double-bend properly after making a hash of it the first time. :oops:

2. The White Castle ancient monument is miles from anywhere but nevertheless you have to pay to go in, and there's someone on duty to sell the tickets. Nice quiet job, that.

3. Annakees are pretty damn good in the dry. :thumbright: (Not bad in the wet either.)

4. Although I love riding with mates, riding on my own can be fun too. And it allows me to go back and redo bends when I make a hash! :)

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
You might just have been having an iffy day, happens from time to time.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Sorry but to go back to a bend you didnt do quite right all sounds a bit sad... just ride is good enough:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yeah,
5. There's no need to wrap up like it's winter any more! :D

Sorry but to go back to a bend you didnt do quite right all sounds a bit sad... just ride is good enough:rolleyes:
Should have guessed you'd find something to moan about.

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Ah, you think YOUR riding is bad. Should see mine :confused: . When I'm as practised as you, I might only go round the bend once :D.

PS I agree with Yen.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
White Castle is one of the best, when I see you next Dave remind me to tell you the story of how me and some mates tried to sneak in without paying back in the seventies :D

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers folks.
White Castle is one of the best, when I see you next Dave remind me to tell you the story of how me and some mates tried to sneak in without paying back in the seventies :D
Tsk, tsk. And a fine upstanding chap like you...

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
1. I have become rusty at riding. I even turned around at one point to redo a double-bend properly after making a hash of it the first time. :oops:
A bad day. that's all.

I had one at the National. We were in a big ride to but I was just unable to keep pace because I took the wrong line,and felt I was at the wrong speed for every corner (I probably wasn't but never made it feel that way, then once you start easing off in the corners it goes all wrong).

I nearly turned round and came home in case I was holding everyone else up.

But it just cleared and I was OK for the afternoon. Glad I stayed out all day in the end. MInd you, onh the narrow track with loose stones, if I had still felt the same I'd have had to get of an push.

Your riding is exemplary Dave. Don't knock yourself.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Some corners are just a pig! I was up the Ullapool to Durness road this weekend which I'm sure a few of you rode at the National, some of the corners were very off camber and I found the ride interesting!
As it's only just spring I agree we can all be a bit rusty! By the time I got home today I'd covered just over 700 miles in the four days we were away but I finished the day by touching down the pegs of the Mighty Varadero and a couple of massive wheelies!
I'm back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers guys.
... but I finished the day by touching down the pegs of the Mighty Varadero...
Oh I did plenty of that; ground them down good and proper on the roundabouts. But I also forgot to fasten my crash helmet and didn't notice until I arrived at Abergavenny, absent-mindedly missed a couple of turnings on the way... all kinds of stupid things.

Will organise a Welsh ride out to get in some practice!

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
3. Annakees are pretty damn good in the dry. :thumbright: (Not bad in the wet either.)
Indeed, they are.
Which is why it's a bit of a shock for me coming out of a winter with not nearly enough bike in it to switch from Anakee to TKC80. Bloody hell this thing's all over the place now. :shock:

It'll take me a few rides to get used to again, meanwhile it usually helps me to go over the theory a bit in my head, ride a bit more consciously rather than on gut feeling... So that means getting the shifting and braking over with, and ideally the power back on before turn-in, taking nice wide lines.

Usually when I'm riding like a wet nappy I'm cutting the corners too narrow on the entry and I'm braking into corners. Aka I'm chickening out ;-) and paying attention to proper riding technique usually gets me back on my usual form. ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts