Votes: 17 56.7%
  • other leatherman

Votes: 7 23.3%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is this a windows Vs mac question or is there anyone out there that can say markX modelY is the best

I've got a Gerber Suspension hardly used but still carried everywhere when on the bike.

cant fault it

Any one else carry a multitool if so what one, what other models are popular

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
I have. SOG - very well made and not flashy just good solid manufacturing - very high quality metal

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It got me thinking while I was working last week at a christmas function (pissup) a bloke pulled the biggest leatherman multitool on the market out of his sporon and repaired a pair of specs, I said I have a technical set of precision screwdrivers in the van but I got a "this'll-do-laddie" reply, it took him longer to find the right bit than it did to tighten the screw.

It done the job and I wondered if there is one multitool that knocks the rest for six, some of them are well ver 100quid

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i voted for the wave because thats what ive used for ten odd years. the first one, not the current one which takes driver bits, thats not as good. they arent always expensive, got it for less than £50.

you use what youve got, very few people have had more than a couple of different brands to compare so i dont see the usefulness of the poll except as a brand owners poll?

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
oh right.
the wave was (still is?) top of the leatherman range when i bought it, it had only just come out and rrp was over £100, and the normal leatherman was £80 odd if i remember. i went for the wave because the handles were much more comfortable, got it from germany for £50 inc postage, rip off britain strikes again although with much more choice prices are a lot better these days.

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
i voted for the wave because thats what ive used for ten odd years. the first one, not the current one which takes driver bits, thats not as good. they arent always expensive, got it for less than £50.

you use what youve got, very few people have had more than a couple of different brands to compare so i dont see the usefulness of the poll except as a brand owners poll?
snap

& your next post too.

use the "wave" everyday for work. Excellent bit of kit, after sales service second to none.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Don't know much about either brand of multitool but, we were banned from using Stanley knives in work and were all issued with Gerber pockets knives and everybody at work agrees they are crap the steel doesn't hold it edges and goes blunt very quickly.

When you got 40 guys in the department all issued with there own at £35 each it gets expensive especially when they don't seem to last 2 months and are then beyond safety limits for resharpening and need to be replaced.

I would probably go for a leatherman if i was going to buy one

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
ive no idea what steel gerber use. on paper the stainless blades of the leatherman shouldnt hold a good edge but they do.
just talking about sharpening and not features or whatever, victorinox are the best stainless blades ive ever used, leatherman a close second, and ive got two stainless opinel fillet knives that are so sharp i swear it goes seethrough at the edge. ive never tried sharpening them though so ive no idea if i can get them as good again, thats the test of a good blade, they are ALL sharp when new.
ive got an ancient big opinel with a carbon steel blade that will cut all day and still be sharp enough to shave with, but needs a bit more care or it rusts so quickly!

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
My son gave me a Leatherman Skeletool for Christmas last year. It's a potentially useful 'set' of tools that look and feel like they're good quality. That said, I haven't had the opportunity to use it in anger yet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a Wave once and got rid of it once I'd tried a Victorinox Swisstool. They are very well made, but very heavy, which is the almost only thing I don't like about it. Every tool locks open, and if it had a diamond file like the Wave it would be perfect. Mine also came with a right angle wrench that takes standard hex bits, it's the Swisstool plus I think.

The best thing is that it only cost me £23 off Ebay a few years back! :thumbup:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
, victorinox are the best stainless blades ive ever used, leatherman a close second, and ive got two stainless opinel fillet knives that are so sharp i swear it goes seethrough at the edge!
I would agree with that the 2 best knives i've ever owned were OPinel and Victorinox

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
...the 2 best knives i've ever owned were OPinel and Victorinox
+1 for Victorinox: I have carried one of the bigger ones for years, and recently inherited the one I bought for my dad about 20 years ago. My original is still in perfect working order, so my dad's one is going to my teenage son - a keen Scout - for Xmas (he'll have to wait until I shuffle off this mortal coil to get the Rolex...).

+1 for Opinel: I always thought they were too artisan, but eventually realised that's part of their charm. Picked one up in France a couple of years ago and amazed at how well the blade has kept its edge during lots of camping/cooking/biking use etc.

I also carry a 'Carolina' multi-tool in my tool roll. Can't remember where it came from or how much it cost me, but it's "fit for purpose" (i.e. compact/sturdy/reliable) and seems to be available at a competitive price (Amazon US for $20, not the one on Amazon UK for £5) compared to the more fashionable Gerber/Leatherman alternatives. Personally, I don't want something with too many bits and bobs - I'm happier carring separate allen keys; spanners; sockets etc. for the bike in question (Enfields and Hondas are very different things...).

Joe

·
Registered
307 Posts
:cool:

I have used a SOG they are very good so to are the Buck and top of the range leatherman and gerber, I usualy pick mine up in the states from a BX or sportsman's warehouse I have used them for general use and hunting but like other things in life quality counts, its all in the quality of metal.
Must also agree that Opinol and Victorinox are very good I still have an old Opinol from 20 years ago, well used but still works a treat.

BIG D

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
I have 2 l/man and 1 gerber, all 3 I've had for years and they've earned a living in some tough places think 'Army' and fixing all sorts at the side of the road without resorting to a toolbox.....
The l/man wave has lethal knives on it and both of the l/man feel better built than the Gerber (an old basic model in matt black) - but, the pliers on the gerber and the way they pop out with a flick of the wrist cant be beat most l/mans open out so the tools are against your fingers when using the pliers which can be uncomfortable whereas the gerber usualy has the flats of the handles against your fingers - if there was a tool out there that had the same pliers as the Gerber with the tools of the l/man (less for the little flat point screw driver which has sanpped on both of mine), then it would be the world best seller in my opinion.

If it came down to it and I had a gun at my head my choice would be for my vintage matt black Gerber - all three are always with me but the first one I always reach for is the gerber..........

·
Administrator
1,775 Posts
I have a very cheap little multitool - like a cloned Leatherman Micra(?) I bought years ago in an Army Surplus shop. It's been really useful as a small pliers (inside laser printers etc), cutting cable ties, tightening nuts & bolts, and as a penknife.Always with me, on the keyring. I've been looking to buy a second, but they don't seem to be about anymore. Shame.
Agree that Opinel blades are superb.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Personally prefer the Leatherman Supertool, now discontinued a pity really as it's a good piece of kit, pretty hard wearing & reliable.

I replaced it with a Leatherman Chargelots of trick bits etc, but prefer the simplicity of the Supertool.

I got them both from Costco as it was the best ever, & came with extra "goodies" which were fab, such as Mini Maglite & Leatherman pouch, & Leatherman lock knife.

·
Austin's Son
190 Posts
I got the Leatherman Wave for my 21st so I voted for that one. Seems to be very good with all the tools locking. The screw driver bits can be changed for different sizes. I haven't had to use the blade properly yet so can't comment on it longevity or performance but overall it feels a good solid bit of kit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts