Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, This my first post on XRV and a wee bit nervous as I've watched the verbal back being ripped out of the lesser ofay when asking simple questions. At the risk of getting the hair dryer treatment, could I ask if anyone has come across a LED gear display for an RD04 as I am getting a bit on in years and constantly forgetting which gear I'm in?

·
Registered
752 Posts
something like this? NEW ARRIVAL Universal Digital Gear Indicator for Motorcycle New (RED) | eBay

I've never seen one specifically for the AT but a universal one is available as per the link, but I would ask why?

Given the correct slip of the clutch and application of throttle my RD04 will pull away still in 3rd albeit less spritely than 1st, when on the move I have no idea what number gear I'm in, just the correct one for the road and engine speed at the time.

You sure you need one?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
if it's screaming... gear up, chugging... gear down ;), no seriously, i have seen one on an @, with some kind of hand gear-change mechanism thing. i think the gear display was linked to the mech though.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Hi Folks, This my first post on XRV and a wee bit nervous as I've watched the verbal back being ripped out of the lesser ofay when asking simple questions. At the risk of getting the hair dryer treatment, could I ask if anyone has come across a LED gear display for an RD04 as I am getting a bit on in years and constantly forgetting which gear I'm in?

Wouldn't worry about the age thing, I just wear the same gear all the time :teeth:

No doubt Vader will come along shortly and take the p1ss as he certainly knows fek all about anything mechanical :D
I have seen something along the lines of the above, but I wouldn't waste my wonga, just drop her down a cog if she feels " threatened " :p

Oh and welcome to the site :thumb:

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I've watched the verbal back being ripped out of the lesser ofay when asking simple questions.
This allegation is worthless without pictures;)

I am getting a bit on in years and constantly forgetting which gear I'm in?
There's a few like that on here.;)

I have an RD04 and every now and then find myself trying to go up to sixth when there isn't one. I suppose adding an LED gear indicator is easier than adding a sixth gear.:(

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
I like that gizmo - very clever design. Agree you probably don't need it but for a tenner or so it's not going break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the responses and the welcomes. Pleased to see the expected abuse wasn't too bad LoL. As Whealie said, it's more about looking for that sixth gear. It's not so much when on gravel or dodgy mountain roads but I tend to get p'd off with myself when on asphalt and looking for an extra gear. I think I might just get one for the hell of it :sunny:

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
Well if you do buy one you must let us know how you get on with it. I'm a bit sceptical of anything that only costs a tenner, but on the other hand you often find in engineering that the simplest ideas work best.

I used to have a gear indicator on my Fazer, and I found it quite useful for London riding. Trying to pull away in 4th got a bit lairy sometimes, especially if I'd just given a bus driver a gobfull.

Shorty

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I've got to add that every trid out I am always looking for 6th and trying to hook up to another cog....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fortunately there aren't a lot of busses to dodge where I'm located but the local drivers are definately worth avoiding. Just ordered one and as Angelo said, for a tenner it won't break the bank. It'll probably take about three weeks to get to me but when I eventually get it fixed I'll let you al know what the result is. I suspect there are one or two sixth gear searchers out there who will be interested but reluctant to come out of the closet (that's cupboard for the smart folks of the world)... Have a good week-end all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts