Honda XRV Forum banner
3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  steveR 
#1 ·

Here

I have seen mention of these gadgets elesewhere and they do look as if they would add to making the bike/rider more conspicuous. I would wonder on the legality here in the UK, but would need to check of the modulator allows some "get out" with the fuzz? Personally, I think a couple of hi-power LED auxillary lights hooked to a modulator would be better ;)

At least Joe Smidsy, would not mistake you for another car with daylight running lights on!!

#3 ·
we're all waiting with baited breathe

#4 ·
The worst extra lighting I have ever seen I witnessed just last week. I was driving along and noticed a bike coming towards me indicating to turn right, I thought, `that indicator is white?`. He wasn't indicating, he'd put a bicycle front flashing light on his right handguard!

#5 ·
Not sure about that. Recipe for disaster IMHO.
You are more visable but they would / could be misunderstood and make people pull out in-front. "he flashed to let me out"

Also reckon you would be pulled by every marked car

<span style="font-family:comic sans ms;">

#6 ·
Not sure about that. Recipe for disaster IMHO.
You are more visable but they would / could be misunderstood and make people pull out in-front. "he flashed to let me out"
I'd be tempted to brake (hard) because there was some sort of hazard ahead.....such as a wide load.
And I imagine the headlamp bulbs wouldn't last more than a couple of days with that type of use... they're designed for steady running, not flashing!

#15 ·
My understanding is that the light is continuous, just that the output of the light varies between 30 and 70%, or thereabouts...

#13 ·
Watching that little youtube clip I couldn't help thinking OK it works well enough in the daytime, now show me a night clip. As that'll be entirely too bloody annoying...

Not a fan of these flashy things, as you've probably guessed by now.

About the "continuous", I've recently read something (in Dutch, so beware) that that means you can't blink your headlight, but you can "shimmer" it, as they called it. Not on/off, but vary the intensity of the dipped beam slightly. It's not blinding like the above setup, but it does stand out. No idea if this goes for UK law too, and that point may even be moot as I wish you the best of luck in explaining exactly how varying the intensity isn't the same as blinking after you've been pulled by the nice police officer. ;-)

#14 ·
The device on the website I linked to kills the modulator at night according to the specs and also alters the frequency of the modulation based on light levels..

Sounds like Holland allows the same tech as in the US then. I would imagine that the Dutch (as good Europeans) will not contradict EU rules ;)

#19 ·
Easiest option then is to get some yellow LED Auxiliary lights, although I prefer the idea of blue LEDs and hook them up to a modulator ;-)

#18 ·
Yeah. I had a yellow headlight for a while, it really did work wonders for standing out and "parting the sea" when filtering in the dark winter months.

I took it off again because it's hard to see where you're going if all you have is a yellow light. Dark rainy unlit backroad, main beam on, still not good enough.

That and all the cars you stop behind have this sickly yellow-greenish pus colour. :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.