Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
After the event it would also be useful to do some sort of feedback from the participants based around the organisation and execution of the actual event. I would do individual requests so people can give feedback anonymously if they wish.

What went well?
What went badly?
Costs
Merchandise

And I'm sure there are others but we want to keep it short and concise.

I think we could learn a bit and make next years even better :thumbup:.

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
Things i have pickup on

1. The order forms needs to complete before sending out, the problem comes later with payment of odd amounts making it hard to track. again some of the problems where due to late deals with ferry etc.

2. The rider info being stored in one location for all to access and update.
stops the problem is everyone have something different and not seeing the full picture and if its correct or not.

3. The info about the T-shirt/Decal being post and peeps ordering direct. This should controlled by TLD.

4. Only post full infomation about things, i.e. ferries. As i found it confusing sometimes with only parts of information

Hope no one takes offence, just some things i notice from the rider point view, then as i helped out with the Ferries.

Next year if we get the basic's spot on and only give information to riders when there really need it, Less questions should be asked, hopefully and making organising it easy. If the basic are spot-on everything will be a piece of p*ss

All in all a great job has been done by all

Barry

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Things i have pickup on

1. The order forms needs to complete before sending out, the problem comes later with payment of odd amounts making it hard to track. again some of the problems where due to late deals with ferry etc.

2. The rider info being stored in one location for all to access and update.
stops the problem is everyone have something different and not seeing the full picture and if its correct or not.

3. The info about the T-shirt/Decal being post and peeps ordering direct. This should controlled by TLD.

4. Only post full infomation about things, i.e. ferries. As i found it confusing sometimes with only parts of information

Hope no one takes offence, just some things i notice from the rider point view, then as i helped out with the Ferries.

Next year if we get the basic's spot on and only give information to riders when there really need it, Less questions should be asked, hopefully and making organising it easy. If the basic are spot-on everything will be a piece of p*ss

All in all a great job has been done by all

Barry
I don't disagree with a word of this. All I would add is a)we need to plan the ride so that arrangements for the beginning and end are easier to bring about. I'm sure that food and accommodation at Dingle will be fine but it could have been a lot easier; b) we need to do something about corporate sponsorship if we are to get some bites; c) it needs to be far, far more straightforward to join to attract more non-XRVers

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Well now,

I'm sitting here looking out at the islands off the Western tip of Ireland, calm blue waters below and cloudless sky above, 41 bikes in the foreground. You'd have thought I wouldn't have a care in the World.

Unfortunately I have though. First about the decals and Tshirts about which people are STILL complaining. Secondly about how we are going to pay E640 for the food in the hostel.

So far E80 has been collected. About the same will follow. I intend to get An Oige (the Youth Hostels Association) to pay the E118 deposit direct to the hostel manager. That leaves E360 to find.

When the hostel manager saw people asking me questions last night she asked "did you organise this". I said I was the closest to it who was here. She said "So you're the one everyone wants to slap".

She told me that there was a restaurant in the village that was prepared to cater for us but "yer man" had "insisted" that there was a meal provided on site, and that it was for 80 people. She had got extra staff to come in for the evening (who left at midnight) who had to be paid for and the butcher had to be paid. Basically she agreed to do this independently of An Oige in order to help out, so was livid that there were so few people eating.

We have two choices. Either we ask for a whip round (which is not attractive) or we build in a profit to next year's event and I lend the account E300 odd until then to keep it in the black. If we can design two compulsory ferries into the route, have 100 riders and charge and extra £2 per ferry (i.e. get a discount but don't turn it all off) then that's £400.

Either way, we've got to find the money.

So another lesson learned for next year is not to order stuff without knowing where the money is coming from.

:)

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
She told me that there was a restaurant in the village that was prepared to cater for us but "yer man" had "insisted" that there was a meal provided on site, and that it was for 80 people. She had got extra staff to come in for the evening (who left at midnight) who had to be paid for and the butcher had to be paid. Basically she agreed to do this independently of An Oige in order to help out, so was livid that there were so few people eating.

We have two choices. Either we ask for a whip round (which is not attractive) or we build in a profit to next year's event and I lend the account E300 odd until then to keep it in the black. If we can design two compulsory ferries into the route, have 100 riders and charge and extra £2 per ferry (i.e. get a discount but don't turn it all off) then that's £400.

Either way, we've got to find the money.

I did not want to come to defense of Ash but...........not quite everything said here makes sense
The Pub / Restaurant Krugers did NOT have the facilities or the want to cater for us, speaking to Mrs O'Neill Ash had no success.
The other restaurant An Portan is a conference center with in house catering, they were booked out and did not want the extra custom, if you want copies of the emails to the manager and chef I'm sure Ash has them. I speak to Ash daily and I know who he spoke to including mobile caterers. He wanted to ensure everyone had a meal at the end. We read the posts about the chaos after the JOGLE and dried sarnies and did not want the same. Maybe some of the responsibility for the cock up is my doing, I should of mentioned it the drill hall welcome and brief - brief, which was thrown together by myself with Fishbone giving me prompts. The people that were there wanted to either watch the match or get to where ever they were staying, I dont like the lamplight but I was in my own with the brief and overlooked many aspects not just the grub.
Ash posted ALL the info about what was being offered by whom and where, IF
the bunkhouse is out of pocket then everyone who was on the ride needs an email asking if they paid and if not cough up, I was expecting Carmen to get the money from everyone who was served, and from what I saw most were served, I'm sure it was discussed by myself and Ash when we spoke to Carmen.
The TA could not get the budget to feed us so I took it on the chin and bought 100 bucks worth of grub, for which I asked everyone who wanted feeding to give me a fiver. 25 from the 50 staying paid up the others went to the chippy, the profit I fortunately made went in the collection pot.
Yes there were f uckups but nothing will ever be perfect, no one should be out pocket and no one should be pointing the finger to pass the buck.

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
I was expecting Carmen to get the money from everyone who was served, and from what I saw most were served
I paid for two mails at the bunkhouse. did see a few others paying too, so i havent a clue

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Let us not get into a witch hunt about the mistakes made and by who, (not suggesting we are), but we all know what went wrong and what needs to change for next years run. I am sure that despite the mistakes most, if not all, had a good TLD 2010, and that people were aacting in the best interests of the event, if a little misguided. Planning something like this and to get it right, needs mistakes, so they can be indentified and not repeated. I made the suggestion earlier about having Regional Co-ordinators, (not committee members), who we can feed information back to, that they can pass on to the riders in their area, and who can take responsibility of co-ordinating regional fund raising events. I think it might work well, what say you ???

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
I really don't want to get involved, but shouldn't we just do away with the poll on the route?

The discussions are great - very useful - but ultimately it has to be a decision for the committee on the basis of the logistics.

If there is a poll, the organisers will end up being stuck with a finish point as hopeless as this year's (which was pretty, but was not clear that you had finished, had inadequate accommodation, inadequate food provision, no place to congregate and no-one could get to to form a welcome).

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I really don't want to get involved, but shouldn't we just do away with the poll on the route?

The discussions are great - very useful - but ultimately it has to be a decision for the committee on the basis of the logistics.

If there is a poll, the organisers will end up being stuck with a finish point as hopeless as this year's (which was pretty, but was not clear that you had finished, had inadequate accommodation, inadequate food provision, no place to congregate and no-one could get to to form a welcome).
I keep telling you democracy is a flawed way to manage things.;)

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts

I think the discussions need to happen, and they need to come from the board members. If organisers come in and say this is what youre doing next year, blah blah there will be a board split, certain strong characters will not be part of it and maybe even go so far as to organise their own event, either in direct competition with TLD or if not, attracting riders we would have had on TLD but now lost because riders cant affort to do both, and the event will lose it's xrv cohesion and unity.
Our job as I see it is to take the boards favourited idea and make it work. If it cant be made to work we can be clear about the reasons why and give it back to them for consideration and reflection.
But to be honest it's hard to see why most ideas wouldnt work.
The issues you bring up about this years event are really lessons to learn from and probably all could have been avoided.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
For pity's sake Tom. I described the discussion as 'great' and earlier I suggested that we needed more discussion of the pros and cons of each ride. That has now happened and I repeat, it's great.

What I suggested is that the poll is a bad idea. That's the only point I made in the above post and the one you have not answered.

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
That's the only point I made in the above post and the one you have not answered.
I thought I had. The polls allow riders to pitch their tent for their favourite ride, making it clear who favours what. Without a poll we'd need to thrall through thousands of discussion posts and threads to try to work out how riders feel about the different rides. If, for arguements sake, the towers ride is favoured, by a clear majority, organisers look at the logistics, and then if something is practically insurmountable, tell the forum why it cant happen. If logistically it can be done, then the TLD ride is on, voted on and favoured by the board, and facilitated by the organisers.
I think the polls are critical in making the event an xrv event.
If you think there may be issues when drilling down into the logistics, what if we shortened the discussion time to the end of august. That's still gives fully two months for discussions, and we can start looking at logistics etc from the 1st September.
It also gives us two months to get things into place that are not dependent on any board discussions such as fixing the date for next years event (get your a$$ over to the thread and comment!) getting the IT in place that was not in place this year - specifically - an order form on the website and shopping basket for tshirts, decals, and a one click secure pay now button.
For the record, I was the first person way back in time to suggest polls, in certain circumatances, are nothing but trouble and organisers should get together, work out a brillant event and publish it - but I was firmly put in my place back then and have since come to see the essential nature of them in keeping the event firmly as an xrv event and allowing all memebrs of the site to be and feel involved.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
I've just registered for the Ride To The Wall in October
have a look at the website, if Barry can copy it in some way that should make things a hell of alot smoother

I registered bought the T-shirt and the stickers easy in just a couple of clicks

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
have a look at the website, if Barry can copy it in some way that should make things a hell of alot smoother

I registered bought the T-shirt and the stickers easy in just a couple of clicks
what website?

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
I know we can use paypal to set a on-line shopping cart thing. I had a look over it a few years ago, the basics is that our website re-directs to paypals so they deal with the online payments.

I think an account will be needed linked to the TLD account.

I really dont deal with on-line payments, but i know that paypal has a charges when payments are made, cant remember if there is a charge for transfer it to the bank account...... thinking about it, i dont think so....

it could be some we can look at....

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Avoid the fees by advising orderers that their order will only be processed on receipt of payment to the TLD account by transfer or post.

:thumbup:

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts

Nick, will you be doing the website again :thumbup:

cause i think the shopping cart thing should be easy enough using paypal, if we want to go that way.

One page would be enough, with say............

Registration fee .... say £15

the optional stuff

Number of T-Shirt(s) with sizes
Number of Decals
Start / Finish Bed (if we are going to do it)
ferry / tunnel (again if we are going to do it)
etc.....

Then the minium cost for a rider would been £15 which might make more affordable, or appear that way, not being forced to have decals / t-shirts etc

Another thing i thought might a good thing is a medal (like the Olympic Medals), for riders that finished the event in allowed time and another to say they took part
This could come out of the registration fee.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts