Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I would like to upgrade everything on my bike, its what boys do. But, I can't really justify the cost of it all so need to be a bit more realistic about what should be done now and what can wait.

I have a '09 700 with Givi crashbars and Honda top box. I have in the post a set of Ortlieb throw over panniers (which I hope won't get too hot on the exhaust) for touring which I do several times a year, but not regularly enough to warrant hard luggage.

I like to think I need engine guards, metal footpegs, super knobbly tyres etc but in reality although I often traverse gravel tracks, sand and grassland, I have never ventured over bigger obstacles which might actually damage the bike (like rocks, tree roots).

So, my biggest threats are stone chips and my dropping the bike!

Ok, now that I have gotten all that out, anyone have the Touratech mini engine guard? The one that fits within the stock plastic guard? I like the look of it over fitting nothing at all and think it may help again flying gravel and any ground clearance mis-calculations.

The other thing I am thinking of upgrading are the handle bars and hand covers, because my bars are all paint chipped and I understand better quality bars vibrate less, helping on the long hauls.

Anyone with experience of the above please speak up!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yep i've have the small engine guard installed.
Easy job ,just remove the plastic sump guard and attach the engine guard with 3 clamps/bolts on the frame.
However ,going really offroad the full engine guard might be a better idea.
You also could consider a fender extender to keep the sump guard cleaner from water ,mud and small stones that you pick up.

Enjoy

·
Registered
214 Posts
I too have a small engine guard, it's not by TT but it looks very much like it. Quite easy to make actually, get some ally and have a go if you want to save some cash. Think I might go to a bigger one later but the small one will do for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts