Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
chicken chaser
1,554 Posts
There cannot be all these lovely new forums with no posts in them so I'll start this one off.

I like the look of this little beauty, the cagiva elefant

almost bought one of those......almost..

:clown::clown:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
looked at one of these beasties before I boughtg the @ the only thing that let it down was it was one of the first to have fuel injection and a CAT. Good bike tho done the DAKAR:thumbup:

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts

Me too. There was one going for a slightly less than I paid for the Africa Twin around the same time and looked in better condition (from the photos at least) as well.

The thing that put me off is that I'd heard that the parts were pricey and harder to come by, and I was swayed a bit by having had my heart set on an AT before I saw these as well.

After I bought the bike I picked up an old 1990 bike magazine where it did a side by side review of the RD04, Yamaha Super Tenere and one of these. The elefant came out well in the lead, followed by the AT then the Tenere.

It seems they were very expensive (for the time) when they came out, but now you can pick them up for around the same price as an old africa twin (if last year was anything to go by - though I'd heard with the bad summer bike prices weren't as healthy as usual which might have had an effect).

I'd love to have a go on one or own one one day though. I get a similar butterflies feeling in my stomach when I see one of those that I used to get when I saw the Africa Twins for the first time :D

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
the 900i is a cracking bike and probably what got me into the whole big trailie thing, in honesty better than both the @ and the S10, however its a cagiva... have had mine nearly 10 years and most of them its been in bits, parts prices are extortionately high when, and if you can actually get them!!

....great as second or even third bike in the garage but not to be trusted for day to day use.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi All,

When first moving up from my trusty XL250S, I tried both an Elefant 750 and the AT. The Elefant ws far more engaging to ride and the AT offered better protection and of course was a Honda. Difficullt choice!! They had done similar miles the Elefant was only slightly cheaper and and slightly rough around the edges. So I chose a 600 Bandit and then a Vara - whoooohooo.

I often look back and wonder what if?

Paul

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts

me too just before my first @ but it was festooned with electrical problems:(:(:( so i had to pass

there is one running around this way in those colours and looks fantastic:thumbup:

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
This bike was my first idea when moving up from my old XT 350 (that still sleeps at my mom's garage awaiting for some fixing).
I discarded the Monster because of it's short suspension travel and inhability to go out of the tarmac:toothy7: so the obvious choice was the Elefant.
In fact I was near to buy a blue one (really they were two, one running and another in bits as spare-part donnor) but the @ reliability won the match.

Maybe some day...:cool:

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
I did consider a cagiva at the time I passed my test but heard horror stories of spares availability and failing electrics, I don't know how true the stories are but they do some pretty good looking bikes

G

·
0 Posts
There cannot be all these lovely new forums with no posts in them so I'll start this one off.

I like the look of this little beauty, the cagiva elefant

Now I like the look of that. Has anyone got any dimensions eg seat height cos me finks I have just found my second bike.
Regards
Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine has a seat height of 870mm with the seat 20 mm beefed up. So 850mm for the standard seat.
The bike is a bit on the wide side, but I get easily with both soles to the ground with my 182cm height.

G

·
0 Posts
Mine has a seat height of 870mm with the seat 20 mm beefed up. So 850mm for the standard seat.
The bike is a bit on the wide side, but I get easily with both soles to the ground with my 182cm height.
Cheers tuzzi for that info
The varadero seat is 838mm but not too sure how they compare on width.
It looks to tick all the boxes for me and seeing as it can't be trusted as an everyday bike, its going to serve its purpose
:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts