Honda XRV Forum banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Guys I've got a ****ty couple of weeks ahead, 5 days on call coupled with preparing with an interview to secure me a job in the restructuring that's going on. I may not have a job in a few months so got to put all my efforts into this.

I'm not going to be able to keep up with everything going on or post, I am aware we've not told the riders anything yet, could someone please put together a post letting them know planning is well underway please.
Unless Tom wants to update his thread http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/longest-day-2011/47765-longest-day-2011-only-thread-you-need-everything-you-need-know.html

If someone can un-lock it, I'll post something up.

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Unless Tom wants to update his thread http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/longest-day-2011/47765-longest-day-2011-only-thread-you-need-everything-you-need-know.html

If someone can un-lock it, I'll post something up.
That particular thread was born from the feedback received from the riders this year criticising the plethora of threads, posts, subforums etc that they had to way through to get the information they were looking for. Therefor the content has to be bullet point facts. It's not a thread for general updates or discussions. It's for hard facts only. It's locked only to stop the general members cluttering up the thread with posts. We want to keep it simple clear and unambigious. I'm happy to leave it unlocked, but it's going to become a mess in no-time, I know it. Which will mean deleting unnecessary posts, which then pi$$e$ members off because their posts were deleted. But if you want it open to all, no problem. :thumbright: Just remember I warned you :angel9:
I think a seperate thread with general updates for the members is better - to let them know what's happening planning wise. So that's where to put the info we have a discount from europtunnel and we're talking to hotels etc. Then, for example, when euro tunnel confirm (or not as the case may be) they'll hold the discounts until June, we post in the locked thread 50% discount available to coonfirmed riders, pm or email for discount code. Anyhows, thats my thinking, but if you want the thread unlocked, just say :thumbright:

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Can one of the admins give http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/id-like-introduce-myself/51948-hello-france.html access to the TLD Planning Threads, he is admin on Bike Club France. Thanks.
We need this sorting so Ian can join us and give us an update as to whether Bike Club France are joining us.

Anyhows, thats my thinking, but if you want the thread unlocked, just say :thumbright:
Leave it locked then, I think Sharrie was just saying to keep the interest going that we should give the guys a short update as to what was going on, as nothing has been publically said for a while.

Good this multiple posting thingy :confused:

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
We need this sorting so Ian can join us and give us an update as to whether Bike Club France are joining us.

Leave it locked then, I think Sharrie was just saying to keep the interest going that we should give the guys a short update as to what was going on, as nothing has been publically said for a while.

Good this multiple posting thingy :confused:
Sharries up to her neck in stuff and I think it's fair to say you've probably got a better idea than most( ok me anyhow :D) about where things are up to, you've definately got your finger on the pulse, so if you want to start a thread for general updates, I will give you my 100% support and backing :D:D:D

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Sharries up to her neck in stuff and I think it's fair to say you've probably got a better idea than most( ok me anyhow :D) about where things are up to, you've definately got your finger on the pulse, so if you want to start a thread for general updates, I will give you my 100% support and backing :D:D:D
That sound like a cop out if ever I heard one :D I'll knock something up and post it on here before going live if thats OK with everyone ?

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Registration Pack

If we are going to offer a pack, we need to consider a price and what it will include, we have a rough idea that t-shirts are going to be about a tenner and decals £14.00, so as a starting point for discussion how about this :-

Your registration pack will include :-

A personalised t-shirt with the name of your choice printed on the reverse
A set of 9 unique decals with your running number
A pin badge (like the ones Phil did for this year)
A commemorative sew on patch (new to this years run) - if we want to get one done, just another thought :confused:
Your road book (which will be emailed to you)

Your registration fee is payable via the TLD Web site and can be paid in full or in installments by direct debit or standing order. Upon receipt of either the full amount or the first installment, we will reserve the running number that you have had before on previous runs or if you are a new rider to the event, you will be allocated the next available number. Unfortuately do to printing costs we can't offer unique numbers to anyone this year.

Your thoughts Guys ?

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Re: Registration Pack

If we are going to offer a pack, we need to consider a price and what it will include, we have a rough idea that t-shirts are going to be about a tenner and decals £14.00, so as a starting point for discussion how about this :-

Your registration pack will include :-

A personalised t-shirt with the name of your choice printed on the reverse
A set of 9 unique decals with your running number
A pin badge (like the ones Phil did for this year)
A commemorative sew on patch (new to this years run) - if we want to get one done, just another thought :confused:
Your road book (which will be emailed to you)

Your registration fee is payable via the TLD Web site and can be paid in full or in installments by direct debit or standing order. Upon receipt of either the full amount or the first installment, we will reserve the running number that you have had before on previous runs or if you are a new rider to the event, you will be allocated the next available number. Unfortuately do to printing costs we can't offer unique numbers to anyone this year.

Your thoughts Guys ?
9 Decals? why?, I thought that one of the things that came out of last years event was that the registration was a bit much.....It makes no odds to me , I'm just thinking out loud 9 just sounds a lot of decals :confused:

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Message to the forum

Go on then tear this to shreads :D

Fellow TLD Riders

Now that the ride and committee have been decided, I have the dubious task of bringing everyone up to date with what is going on. This year it was decided by the XRV hierarchy to keep the organizing committee to a minimum, I can't comment on how their choices were made, just that we were asked and have agreed to help out, that doesn't mean to say we won't be coming to the members for additional assistance where required and if offered.

So where are we at the moment ?

The committee consists of Sharrie, Alslapper, Bankingmadscot, DC, PDSquire, myself.
The date of the run is the weekend of 18th & 19th June 2011.
The ride as chosen by the forum vote is Blackpool Tower to the Eiffel Tower
The charity is Make a Wish Foundation.
The web site is being worked on and re-designed and should be completed mid-November
The T-shirt/decal design is in the finally stages of design and will be launched at the same time as the web site becomes live.
T-shirt/decal printers & suppliers have been sourced and will be ready to receive orders soon; you will be able to do this via the web site, and it is not complusory to buy anything, except the decals.
Euro Tunnel have offered us a discount on the train crossing from Folkestone, and a very generous discount it is too, and we are very grateful for their kind offer. (Details on how to book available soon)
Accommodation in Blackpool and Paris; this is a work in progress at the moment, so details will follow shortly, this will hopefully include a discount, but riders are free to make they own arrangements if they don't wont to take advantage of anything we can negotiate with a hotel chain.
A route has been decided upon, a non motorway route,(to make it more of a challenge) but this is purely an advisory route and it will be up to the individual rider to take whatever route they want.
We are keen that riders take responsibility for their own bookings where possible, but in some cases where we have managed to get a discount, a group booking may be necessary to secure it, in this case we would ask that payment be made as soon as possible, so we all don't lose out.
We may have a slight twist to this year's event, in that a group of riders from the French Bike forum, BikeClubFrance may be doing our route but in reverse, they will also be riding for Make A Wish Foundation, and there maybe a chance for some of us to meet at the Ace on our respective trips. More news on this later.

There is still a lot to do, but we are working our way through the different bits of planning, so hopefully it will come together on the day, and we can all enjoy another Longest Day Ride.

There has been some disquiet as to whether the ride is challenging enough, well Google maps says 17 and half hours, and perhaps in the past the challenge has been just too much for some riders and that has put them off joining. At the end of the day this ride is about XRV, a group of like minded people enjoying a ride out, over a weekend and raising money for a very worthwhile children's charity.

Back soon when we have more to tell, if you have any immediate questions, please post up and we will do our best to answer them

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Just some random thoughts.

I'm not on the committee. Well not taking any active part anyway. I'm just here by request of the "management" :hitler: to stop you lot getting carried away and turning what should just be a fun and challenging rideout (that raises a few bob for worthy causes in the process) into some sort of over organised evangelical mission that has in the past cost many riders more money to take part that they raised.

With that in mind would it not be better to make the decals (maybe not even these as some folk won't want or use them) the only "mandatory" purchase and the rest can then be bought using the xrv shop (We can check with Dave to see if he can/will do this) that way people only have to fork out for what they want and not spend a fortune on badges etc. that they might not want nor need.

The whole reason for the locked info thread is outlined in Toms post above.. What one person's view of where we are and what's been agreed isn't always as others understand it, and last year we often had contradictory statements posted by committee members even although all communications were supposed to be agreed beforehand and then posted by Sharrie. Now as Sharrie is currently very busy now I propose Tom assists in this and only those two shall post info threads. You can all come up with the words (as Mark has) but the actual comms must come from a couple of sources. to retain the committees credibility.

And now for Mark's strawman...

A bit picky I know but I'm concerned about the word "again" on the nominated charity as it sounds a bit grudging.

On the hotels & ferries probably worth clarifying that we won't be managing any bookings on peoples behalf. They will all be responsible for booking their own etc.

And finally I do take issue about the "this is not about XRV" statement.. It's everything about XRV.. It's about XRVers going for a run and raising money for a good cause. The whole event started of 4 years ago as an XRV bash and despite some folk trying to claim it as their own property, it is, and will remain so, an XRV owned and organised charity run.

Hope that lot is not to negative but you have some great momentum here and we don't want to lose that but there is still plenty time to talk about this and get it right first time so let's not rush anything out and consider all the angles first. I, like you, want this to be the best TLD yet and for that to happen we have to be united, learn from past mistakes and avoid placing any unnecessary restrictions or preconditions on those taking part.. Basically keeping it simple and uncomplicated as over complicating things was where most of the previous years issues came from.

Register on this website.. Start Here... Finish There... Here is a list of hotels who have offered a discount.. Here is the ferry discount code.. Buy merchandise here...

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Good points there Gordon and I have amended the sections causing disquiet. I was only following Tom lead and Sharrie's request but would agree one point of contact for this would be better to get something out to the Guys, so they don't think nothing is being done.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Cheers Mark. I'd remove the managed by boris bit as it looks a bit autocratic.. I just stand on the sidelines and chip in when I see the power going to your heads :hitler:

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
With that in mind would it not be better to make the decals (maybe not even these as some folk won't want or use them) the only "mandatory" purchase
i agree with this

On the hotels & ferries probably worth clarifying that we won't be managing any bookings on peoples behalf. They will all be responsible for booking their own etc.
to get the discounts to reduce costs, i dont think we are going to have a choice but to book on peeps behave

Register on this website.. Start Here... Finish There... Here is a list of hotels who have offered a discount.. Here is the ferry discount code.. Buy merchandise here...
:thumbup:

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Cheers Mark. I'd remove the managed by boris bit as it looks a bit autocratic.. I just stand on the sidelines and chip in when I see the power going to your heads :hitler:
It might look like it, but that's not me, just like getting things done, but there is no hidden agenda with me, just want to get the job done and everyone has a good time :thumbup: and if it comes across like just tell me to wind my neck in, no offence taken.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
It might look like it, but that's not me, just like getting things done, but there is no hidden agenda with me, just want to get the job done and everyone has a good time :thumbup: and if it comes across like just tell me to wind my neck in, no offence taken.
And none meant... It was in no small part down to your and Barry's efforts that pulled TLD10 out the mire at the 11th hour as for various reasons some things hadn't gone as planned or promised. There has been a lot of learning done over the last few years and all I am trying to do is not let us fall into the same traps again.

Carry on chaps :thumbup:

And without trying to sound too patronising

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
And none meant... It was in no small part down to your and Barry's efforts that pulled TLD10 out the mire at the 11th hour as for various reasons some things hadn't gone as planned or promised. There has been a lot of learning done over the last few years and all I am trying to do is not let us fall into the same traps again.

Carry on chaps :thumbup:

And without trying to sound too patronising
Very good Gordon, now get back on yer chair and let us arrange the ride :thumbup: with your help of course :thumbup:

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
Re: Message to the forum

The route as chosen by the forum vote is Blackpool Tower to the Eiffel Tower
I would add thats its a non-motorway route and thats part of the challenge

81 - 100 of 117 Posts