Honda XRV Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
I have taken on board the comments made, and have made a few changes in red above. Whaddya fink ? :confused:
I think it's grand :D Personally though, I'd leave out the whole first paragraph and start at ''so where are we up to ... bit ... and I'd leave out the bit in the last paragraph about only 52 people voted in the poll etc.. that will sound like a bit of a dig to some ears. But like I said it's grand and maybe Im being too picky .. just trying to keep completely focused on facts and not giving fuel for any unnecessary discussions about stuff that's in the past and done with.

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Final Draft 'So where are we up to ?'

Fellow TLD Riders

Now that the ride and committee have been decided, I have the dubious task of bringing everyone up to date with what is going on. This year it was decided by the XRV hierarchy to keep the organizing committee to a minimum, I can't comment on how their choices were made, just that we were asked and have agreed to help out, that doesn't mean to say we won't be coming to the members for additional assistance where required and if offered.

So where are we at the moment ?

The committee consists of Sharrie, Alslapper, Bankingmadscot, DC, PDSquire, myself.
The date of the run is the weekend of 18th & 19th June 2011.
The ride as chosen by the forum vote is Blackpool Tower to the Eiffel Tower
The charity is Make a Wish Foundation.
The web site is being worked on and re-designed and should be completed mid-November
The T-shirt/decal design is in the finally stages of design and will be launched at the same time as the web site becomes live.
T-shirt/decal printers & suppliers have been sourced and will be ready to receive orders soon; you will be able to do this via the web site, and it is not compulsory to buy anything, except the decals.
Euro Tunnel have offered us a discount on the train crossing from Folkestone, and a very generous discount it is too, and we are very grateful for their kind offer. (Details on how to book available soon)
Accommodation in Blackpool and Paris; this is a work in progress at the moment, so details will follow shortly, this will hopefully include a discount, but riders are free to make they own arrangements if they don't wont to take advantage of anything we can negotiate with a hotel chain.
A route has been decided upon, a non motorway route, (to make it more of a challenge) but this is purely an advisory route and it will be up to the individual rider to take whatever route they want.
We are keen that riders take responsibility for their own bookings where possible, but in some cases where we have managed to get a discount, a group booking may be necessary to secure it, in this case we would ask that payment be made as soon as possible, so we all don't lose out.
We may have a slight twist to this year's event, in that a group of riders from the French Bike forum, BikeClubFrance may be doing our route but in reverse, they will also be riding for Make A Wish Foundation, and there maybe a chance for some of us to meet at the Ace on our respective trips. More news on this later.

There is still a lot to do, but we are working our way through the different bits of planning, so hopefully it will come together on the day, and we can all enjoy another Longest Day Ride.

There has been some disquiet as to whether the ride is challenging enough, well Google maps says 17 and half hours, and perhaps in the past the challenge has been just too much for some riders and that has put them off joining. At the end of the day this ride is about XRV, a group of like minded people enjoying a ride out, over a weekend and raising money for a very worthwhile children's charity.

Back soon when we have more to tell, if you have any immediate questions, please post up and we will do our best to answer them

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
Re: Final Draft 'So where are we up to ?'

Trying to catch up a bit with this now, has this message been posted now, I will check in a minute but this thread is huge so can someone give me the brief version to save me having to read through it all :)
Basically GOG007 has/is sorting out tunnel / decal t-shirt costs

DC working on Art Design (almost there i think)

Me - Working on Website / Roadbook and Spreadsheet for rider info

Route done

I think that covers it

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
Wow, so I see

You guys are fabulous, that's so much work so quickly

How about I contribute a little by next week sourcing suggested accomadation and prices either end.
Sure why not:D

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
Wow, so I see

You guys are fabulous, that's so much work so quickly

How about I contribute a little by next week sourcing suggested accomadation and prices either end.
have a look at the website, see the website thread for the details

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
a conference call is due me thinks

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Yeap a call would be good, just to bring everyone up to date with whats happening, I know we are streets ahead and thats good, but a friendly chat would be good, howz this thursday at 20.00 hours for everyone ? Ian can you accommodate ?

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
In an attempt to promote the ride to new members

I have sent the following PM to Simon Stumpfingers :-

Hi Simon can I ask a favour in promting TLD2011 to new members. You must be the only one who posts up a welcome to the forum to every new member who joins XRV, (In fact you are famous for doing it :D) when doing so would you be prepared to welcome them to the forum and either direct them to the longest day web site or ask them if they would be interested in joining the ride ?
Cheers Buddy, Mark

PS Howz the calender coming along ?

101 - 117 of 117 Posts