Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if it's actually physically possible to lift an AT onto the centerstand with a full tank of fuel ? I tried it for the first time yesterday trying every handhold I could find and method I could think of and failed abysmally.

Note that I'm about 6'2, consider myself to be fairly strong and can lift my blackbird onto the centrestand with one finger. I've even managed to lift an R80GS beemer, which are known for their crap centerstand design.

On another note, looking through the manual last night I noticed it said to change the oil about every 12,000 miles - eh, surely not ?

On yet another note, this bike is bloody brilliant, I love it !

·
Registered
288 Posts
The key to success is to put your full weight on the lever. Then it only needs a gentle lift with the lift handle.

There was a discussion about this recently. If you search for "centre AND stand" you'll find it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes its posiable, I use the (I tkink its the rear foot rest bracket) to lift mine using my right foot on the centre stand.
Having the tank full does not realy effect lifting it too much as the weight is infront of the centre stand and you are lifting the rear.
(If you get it wrong and the bike tips over it does make it very difficult to lift off the ground though.)
Glad you are enjoying the AT.
Pat (Cork)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I dont have a lift handle.. I have to use the rear grab handles, or the pannier mounts. I can get the bike onto its centre stand with a full tank no problem. The trick I find is to start with the bike on the side stand, and, using my left leg to move the centre stand down, bring bike vertical, and then press down will my full bodyweightwhilst guiding the bike backwards. after, dont forget to put the side stand away ;)

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
cbrpaddy said:
n another note, looking through the manual last night I noticed it said to change the oil about every 12,000 miles - eh, surely not ?

On yet another note, this bike is bloody brilliant, I love it !
Have a look again, I think you're looking at the Km reading. It's 8,000 miles for oil changes which includes the filter. I do mine at 5,000, it's easier to remember when a change is coming up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Instructions, Centre stand lifting with full tank:

With bike in upright position push centre stand to floor and apply pressure, grasp handle near passenger footrest as supplied in Honda stand kit.
Pull upwards with right hand you will now feel your lower spinal discs begin to rupture, pull harder, harder, HARDER MAN, FOR GODS SAKE, PUT YOUR BACK INTO IT!, well done your bike is now safe on its stand.

Go indoors, make tea, ring osteopath

Merry Christmas

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
:lol: Been there and done that!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Centre Stand

You're right, its an absolute pig as the stand hinge point is too far back and lifts the bike a bit too high. You need an equal amount of downforce on the stand and upforce on the handle. Just wait till you have a full tank AND tankbag AND panniers!

I fact I don't know what we see in these bikes!! they're too high, too heavy, could do with a bit more power, you have to spend ages dismantling to get at simple things like the plugs, too wide to squeeze through traffic easily, not very economical, go rusty quite easily, steer like a barge, wheel spokes go loose after a while....................

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes there semes to a knack of lifting a AT onto it's centre stand,once discovered you'll have no problem it's a bit like riding a a bike once discovered never forgotten :) .

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm only a puny 10 stone and 5:10 but I have found if you lift use your right leg to push against the left passenger peg at the same time it usually works. You should be aware though, without taking a deep breath and taking the starin, it is possible to accidentally follow through.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol, I'll try again once my back has recovered from my first efforts and I've purchased some nappies.

·
Am I that old?????????
214 Posts
Ya just need to eat more weeabix initt :lol:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
The Honda manual states 3 shredded wheat, Weetabix is a cheap option specified in the Haynes manual

·
Am I that old?????????
214 Posts
Once you can carry a sheep in each hand lifting a AT on to its stand is just so easy. 8)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Rolo said:
Once you can carry a sheep in each hand lifting a AT on to its stand is just so easy. 8)
Is that for a 3-some ?

Ive been to Cardiff... I know what you lot get upto down there;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have difficulty lifting my bike up initially.
But now I can lift my bike with lot of fuel + 3 boxes.

I think the trick is to exert all your strength lifting directly up, rather than lifting it up while pushing it back at the same time, like what we usually do to other bike.

:albino:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Ironically I hurt my back yesterday pulling the bike on the centre-stand (well, I had an office move as well last week, this was the final "drop"). I now have those pleasant spasms, can't either sit, stand or lie down for more than 10 minutes. Other than that, indeed use your full weight (eat sufficient numbers of pies), use the rear passenger footrest to pull, and don't wear shoes with floppy soles. :bigsmurf:

And don't volunteer to move desks when moving office :blackeye:

Nice :alien: smileys today :faroah: , quite :cyclopsani: addictive :geek:

:drunken: :cherry: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I can sympathise with you ... I "burst" the disc that sits between the 4th and 5th lumber vertibrae a few months ago .... If you get prolonged back pain..... and you have privater medical insurance, get yoruself an MRI scan ... My Quack told me it was muscular ... until the consultant showed me the MRI and pointed out the bits of burst disc floating around my spine!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
:colors: Hi folks, yep after my joke instructions on how to lift the AT onto its stand I have finally done my back in, not caused - I hasten to add - directly by my bike (I did it jogging*) but I have to say that lifting the beast onto the c/stand certainly hasn’t helped, especially when holding 23 litres of BP’s finest.
I have decided to only use the stand for punctures/chain maintenance/weddings/barmitzvahs funerals etc.

Seriously though folks, I did not realise how easy it is to hurt my back, so lets be careful out there! ROB

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
YEN_POWELL said:
The Honda manual states 3 shredded wheat, Weetabix is a cheap option specified in the Haynes manual
I have reasons to believe the Haynes manuals are printed on Weetabix, who said there is no such thing as "synergy"? :albino:

I actually hurt my back pretty bad when pulling the AT on its centre-stand a few months ago (wayhee, just discovered my previous posting). Usually I manage rather well doing this, but the front wheel was in a small ditch, so had a long way to go. Too long in this case. I usually put my imense body weight on the "foot" of the center-stand and pull the passenger footrest at the same time. Add some swing and elegance to this exercise and it usually works fairly easily. There are bikes around that are easier to handle though, but not in my garage.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts