Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Id like to change the oil and oil filter on my bike.

Just wanted to ask the forums thoughts on oil to use and any tips for the process.

Air filter is K&N so should be fine.

Ta,

·
Hill Rider
3,105 Posts
Me, personally, I like to use nothing more modern than semi-synthetic oil. If I could get mineral oil at the right spec locally I'd use that.

As for oil filters, I've used Hi-Flo filters, both oil and air, for years and they do exactly what you'd expect an oil filter to do but at approx. half the price of original kit.

I have a 600 Alp and I know that the book says 8k miles between changes but I do mine @ 4k miles. Cheapest way of keeping your engine in good condition - regular fresh oil and filter changes.

SteveT

:cool:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
And get a correct size oil filter socket. I use a short socket extn bar

·
Hill Rider
3,105 Posts
I use a fabric strap wrench on mine. Well, if it was good enough for working on Buccaneer aircraft, it'll do on my bikes :)

·
Registered
3,068 Posts

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Semi synth 10/40 bike oil here too. I always use Smith & Allan but as long as it's bike specific, you don't need any fancy priced stuff.

Hi flo or genuine filters.
I normally do a couple of short 4k oil changes to 1x filter change.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
502 Posts
Yeah, I use the same on all bikes, a bike-specific10-40 semi syn from Halfords which is rather less expensive than 'top' brands. And always OEM sump plug washer and oil filter. I think my last air and fuel filters were a replica oem items from Rugged Roads. One thing experience has taught me, however, is not to use replica caliper seals or brake pads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much for the helpful replies and links.

Is there any tips for the process of changing oil and filter.

Basically I'm looking for a step by step process and hints to make the job easier.😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts