Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'06 Transalp
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a Varadero. One thing that worries me is the linked brakes. I've done all my own servicing on the two Transalp's I've owned (60,000 miles in total). Is it a difficult / expensive thing to maintain? I'm used to the simplicity of a Transalp's braking system; change pads, clean calipers now and again, refresh blake fluid and bleed. Simple.
Is there any electrical element to it and how easy is it to change pads, clean calipers or bleed the system? Has anybody de-linked their bike?
Also, is it a good system?

cheers
rob
:thumbright:

ps. sorry for so many questions!

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
its a good system, you dont know its there. it looks complicated because of the plumbing but thats mostly the ABS. leave it alone. bleed, fluid change, perfectly normal, and if you cant change the pads in 10secs per caliper theres something wrong with you

·
Registered
27 Posts
Brakes on the VARA are awesome!! I have only changed the rear pads, and it took me two minutes for my first time!

When the time comes to change the brake fluid, i will probably leave it to my dealer. On my Transalp i change them myself, but its much more simple. :thumbleft:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Pad changing - easiest EVER. All bikes should be like this:D

Linked brakes - I like it, but dont really notice it much except at very low speeds when I would normally finish with the just the back brake you still get a tiny bit of dive at the front.

ABS - dont know its there. Only ever come on once when braking quite quickly to a stop at the kerb and hit some very greasy stuff right at the kerbside.

Bleeding - dont know yet as I haven't tried. The owners manual describes how to do it, as does Mr Haynes, so cant be that hard - there only seems to be a specific order in which to do it.

The ABS/Linked brakes is not a reason not to buy a Vara. (ummm I think that makes sense:confused:)

·
Twisted Aussie
20 Posts
i have the 08 without abs i have only noticed the linked brakes once in the dirt i hit the rear really hard and the front locked as well was not a problem and was on really loose gravel other than that i think it works well and is a very basic system 1 pot operates with the other brake so hit the front and 1 pot comes on the back hit the back and 1 pot comes on the front that is why the extra plumbing the pot that is linked does not operate with the same brake so if i hit the front the pot that would come on with the rear will not come on unless i hit the rear as well
i hope this is making sense it does to me

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Thinking of getting a Varadero. One thing that worries me is the linked brakes. I've done all my own servicing on the two Transalp's I've owned (60,000 miles in total). Is it a difficult / expensive thing to maintain? I'm used to the simplicity of a Transalp's braking system; change pads, clean calipers now and again, refresh blake fluid and bleed. Simple.
Is there any electrical element to it and how easy is it to change pads, clean calipers or bleed the system? Has anybody de-linked their bike?
Also, is it a good system?

cheers
rob
:thumbright:

ps. sorry for so many questions!
Servicing on a Vardero is no drama's what so ever brake pads take minutes to change, CBS works well again easy to bleed just takes a while from scratch. Bike not expensive to run, good tank range comfortable.

Only thing i've had my dealer do was teh 32k service as thats valves and carb balance, didn't fancy doing the valves myself and they didn't need adjusting anyway

·
'06 Transalp
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated. :thumbup:

cheers
rob

ps. All that plumbing does look daunting though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts