Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's turned into a beautiful day here, and looking out at OUR world got me thinking.

I saw a programme the other day which explained a few things about evolution and our world which I'd never considered, so here is the one that made me think.

The water content of our world has never changed from the day it was created. All of the water is either in the air, oceans, ground, plants, our bodies, products etc.
The ONLY thing that HAS changed is the amount of people on the planet, which means that as the population increases, the amount of water available diminishes, yet the demand becomes higher. Worrying?

So what does the future hold???

My next posting will be about why our oceans are empty of wildlife, because most of it is in freezers around the world!

Then I'll be going on about how wonderful it is that scientists have spent millions and discovered how to prolong our lives, so that we can increase the aging population even more, and create and even bigger population crisis.

Then I'll start on black bin bags poisoning our earth in landfill.

Then I'll start on about nappies, a$$ wipes, quadruple ply toilet roll, blocking drains and sewage facilites.

Then I'll start on about "why are companies allowed to develop and sell new products BEFORE they have worked out how to recycle them at the end of its life? (think TetraPak)

This world should be a beautiful place.

:rolleyes:

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
May I respectfully request a pint of whatever the gentleman above has been drinking......:D

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Its the unspeakable unthinkable "elephant in the room". There are simply too many people on planet earth. If the population was 80% or 75% or 50% of what it is today nearly all our major problems would simply go away. That's not to say new one's might not spring up.

Here's another thought..... before the big bang there was no space, therefore there was no time. If there is no time - which is the same thing as an infinite amount of time - then the chance of a particular thing happening is a certainty. That means it was inevitable that there would be a big bang and that our universe would come into existence..... which also means

....as infinity in our universe must surely be true that means that every single possible combination of events and circumstances, has either happened, will happen, or is happening right now in an infinite number of parallel universes. Or even scarier is happening, will happen, or has happened all at the same time......

.........which also means time must be an illusion created in our minds to make sense of space.

So we all live in infinity for an infinite amount time, which makes us all GODS.:D

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Its the unspeakable unthinkable "elephant in the room". There are simply too many people on planet earth. If the population was 80% or 75% or 50% of what it is today nearly all our major problems would simply go away. That's not to say new one's might not spring up.

Here's another thought..... before the big bang there was no space, therefore there was no time. If there is no time - which is the same thing as an infinite amount of time - then the chance of a particular thing happening is a certainty. That means it was inevitable that there would be a big bang and that our universe would come into existence..... which also means

....as infinity in our universe must surely be true that means that every single possible combination of events and circumstances, has either happened, will happen, or is happening right now in an infinite number of parallel universes. Or even scarier is happening, will happen, or has happened all at the same time......

.........which also means time must be an illusion created in our minds to make sense of space.

So we all live in infinity for an infinite amount time, which makes us all GODS.:D
Well said Zaphod Beeblebrox

Austin I can tell you need to get out more. Never mind only a few sleeps till Wales

Woo hooooo :blob3::blob3:

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Ok I take it back, I'll have a pint of whatever Austin's been drinking then!:D

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
I knew it! I knew it! We are all indeed Gods and some of us are special Gods because we live in Gods country and a shed load of you other guys just cannot keep away - sort of knocking on the gates as it were!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
You do all realise that all the incurable diseases and plagues are the planets way of trying to bring balance.
The only problem is it has not designed a plague that will only wipe out the Chinese, they are the largest population on the planet.

·
Registered
773 Posts
To be fair Stumpy, the Chinese have done a lot more to SOLVE the problem than any other nation I can think of, albeit taking unpopular measures.

If one wanted to point a finger of blame for overpopulation, one might wave a digit in the general direction of Rome...?

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Have I stumbled upon www.hippy.org.uk by mistake?

My contribution to ensuring zero growth in the population was the big V several years ago.

Two bricks an a short sharp BANG!. it only hurts if you get your thumbs caught in between the bricks.:D

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Have I stumbled upon www.hippy.org.uk by mistake?

My contribution to ensuring zero growth in the population was the big V several years ago.

Two bricks an a short sharp BANG!. it only hurts if you get your thumbs caught in between the bricks.:D
I too have made a large contribution chris, after our fourth child, I had the wife done.
Well the bloke had the sun roof open she wasn't rushing off anywhere so slipped him the nod and she will trouble the increasing population no more. Jobs a good 'un, no more ankle biters.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
To be fair Stumpy, the Chinese have done a lot more to SOLVE the problem than any other nation I can think of, albeit taking unpopular measures.

If one wanted to point a finger of blame for overpopulation, one might wave a digit in the general direction of Rome...?
No problems just off the coast of our fair isle then? just following orders eh?

:thumb:

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much as the only chance we stand of surviving is getting off world, otherwise you will find the whole planet covered in shanty towns and refugee camps from scrapping over something or anything........and then the master piece.......a global wipeout!! disease, natural disaster, who gives a monkeys it will be one or the other! :D:rolleyes:

The planet doesn't need saving, it is perfectly capable of looking after itself.......it just needs leaving alone!!!!

Have often wondered at what stage in our future the whole planet will become a nature reserve and holiday destination (hopefully before we turn it into a completely lifeless stagnant cespool!:rolleyes:). About the best thing we could do!!...........oh and put me down on the list for Park Ranger!!!!:thumb::thumb:

............oh and a pint of whatever Bobs on! :D

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't worry too much as the only chance we stand of surviving is getting off world...

Which brings me nicely along to my next thought, while I'm sitting here eating my Singapore Noodles.

If "THEY" did discover another habitable planet, who gets to say who could go and colonise it, or who stays here on earth??

Not exactly like you could hitch-hike there is it!?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
When we went to see the Perito Moreno glacier (one of the very few left advancing), the guide went on to talk about the amount of water around too, and it seems that only 6% of the world's fresh water is readily accessible, or something like that (it was 3 years ago, and I was gawping at the landscape more than I was listening to the guide, despite being a valid point he was making...)

That's it, I'll leave you all to it now....

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
If "THEY" did discover another habitable planet, who gets to say who could go and colonise it, or who stays here on earth??
My great uncle Bill (Bill Elliot OBE, for service to sport in community in East Ham - he set up and ran the Junior Hammers after running all amateur footballl in the area for years and Curbishley used to work for him) once raised this with me.

He left the communist party and joined the labour party after fighting in WWII (sorry Vader, he was on the winning side:hitler:) and worked tirelessly for immigrant families in East Ham.

But he was always a bit sceptical of asylum seekers. He always wondered if he'd have ever fled or stayed to fight had the Germans won.

La Passionaria, in the Spanish Civil war, said: "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees". Mind you, she ended up in Russia so feck her.

Imagine no French resistance (Listen very carefully, I shall say this only wunce). It is I, Leclerc.

Imagine no Arnie in the Terminator series because there was no rebellious human army (they all fled and claimed asylum).

Imagine if everyone who hated Britain left... OK there'd be no Daily Mail - I am starting to like this idea.;)

So, Bob, if they found an inhabitable planet, who cares who decides who can go.

I staying. But I'm trying to make this a better place to live, for me and my generation and for my kids and the future generation.

Together we can achieve that.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much as the only chance we stand of surviving is getting off world,

I disagree.

Unfortunately, I think our best chance of survival also involves a rather unpleasant rite of passage.

I think it entirely feasible that humainty will soon experience a rather large and cataclysmic cull, be it natural or, more likely, man-made (WWIII, for example: look at the increasing conflicts over resources).

Humans will survive; I'm sure they will adapt to the new environment, but I doubt the world will be as we know it now.

I'm not talking about mad-max, but we are working ourselves up to a major crisis: the problem is that we seem unable to control ourselves. Surely the powers be can see that our present way and pace of life is unsustainable, yet they keep going becuase the lure of ££$$ and votes is too strong....

Sad, but I suspect true...

(Do you think they'll stock TA tyre sizes in the new world order?)

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
If we're gonna get rid of 23% of the world's population, I suggest the Middle East first, 'cos if that lot goes the way I think it's goin' we won't have to worry about Global Warming......

Either way...It's just the planet evolving towards it's own survival.....never needed us in the first place.

Now..... where's those drugs I stashed 30 odd yrs ago?....:hitler:

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
*The planet doesn't need saving, it is perfectly capable of looking after itself.......it just needs leaving alone!!!!

Best thing that's been said so far

As for culling back and starting with countries or areas think of all the refugees on the run then and who has the right to decide.

the best thing that could happen to this world is outside intervention where the human race has to start working together

*why cant we all just get along
*(xrv members quotes)

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
You do all realise that all the incurable diseases and plagues are the planets way of trying to bring balance.

Don't worry about that, you'll never see another disease cured in your/ my life time the last one that got cured was Polio and the medical professions are still kicking themselves for that. They lost millions of £'s from pharmoscutical firms through curing the disease, i'm sure they'll never make that mistake again. The money is in the drugs and the treatment not the cure

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
I knew it! I knew it! We are all indeed Gods and some of us are special Gods because we live in Gods country and a shed load of you other guys just cannot keep away - sort of knocking on the gates as it were!
Hold on a minute

I am a special GG:hitler::hitler::toothy1:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts