Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself and XT6 had an excellent day on the trails in North Wales. Here’s a quick report and photos………

Meeting up at 07:30 at J12 of the M56 we set off for Llangollen (45 mins) where the trails start. A quick breakfast stop at PontCysyllte Aqueduct (a few miles East of Llangollen) before hitting the trails.

The first one being a fairly difficult mud byway leading up the Llangollen valley through woods. It was a steep ascent up a single track with steep drop offs back to the valley floor. Definitely not one for beginners! It is marked as a byway but there is no way anything other than a motorbike could fir up it. More like a footpath!!

Then we hit the Llwybr Ceiriog trail which offered great views of Llangollen below. A single track gravel / mud / rocky track that first lead back down the valley before turning and rising fairly steeply back up the hillside.

A few miles of ‘B’ roads before forming a loop on the Upper Ceiriog Way. A great track leading onto open moorland.

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/picture.php?albumid=378&pictureid=2975

This loop took us back to the road where we started. It was then a short ride to the Wayfarer.

See my old posts for the Wayfarer. All I want to say now is that it’s a fantastic 10km trail through the Berwyn mountain’s. We did this at speed, my 4th time over the Wayfarer and XT6’s 2nd time. Amazing the confidence you can get after doing a trail once or twice.

We then swapped bikes for the 6 miles or so to the next off road section. XT6 is keen to get an @ so this was his chance to see if they suit. Go on Andy, you know you want to!!!

Back on our own bikes for the next track. First time on this route for us both. Starting at Maerdy (just off the A5) and headed up over open moorland to Cerrigydrudion.

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/picture.php?albumid=378&pictureid=2982

A quick café stop before heading for the byway and tracks a few miles to the West. A deeply rutted 4x4 track lead up and over the mountain.

Followed by a small river (Stream!) crossing. This will become interesting after heavy rainfall. Huge rocks on the exit route.

Here we are - not too scary to loook at (We think!). Andy on his XT6

and me on my @....

I told XT6 about a short section of track that I failed to complete last time I was over this way. We tried….and both failed. I failed first as XT6 dodged me and got stuck a few meters further on. A very steep section with LOTS of loose rock. Had to abandon and turn the bikes round and go the road way round. Photo doesnt do the track justice. It was really steep and big loose rocks!!!!

This lead to our last bit of Off Roading for the day. A great track up and over the mountain which provided amazing views of Snowdon.

A quick road blast to Betws-y-Coed for a drink before hitting the A5 and B4501 back through Ruthin and Mold.

A great day. 160 miles round trip. When can we go again?

·
Registered
740 Posts
That looks great fun. Great photos and scenery and well written up report. I feel gutted I missed this one out.. (I have not been here much last couple of month due to busy time all over)..
But as you asked "when can we go again?" .. I think I am ready for the next one.. Will be great to organise another one soon (in few weeks time) while the weather still good..I am well up for it...
well done to you both and I am glad you had a great time... :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Crumbs, Chief !
168 Posts
What can I say to add to that excellent report? Another terrific day of mountain mayhem. It's a great feeling getting out on the trails on such a sunny day. Why skulk around in the valleys when you can ride straight over the hill? I always think the best bits are when you are right on the top of the moors and you literally haven't passed a person, vehicle or house for several miles.... I've only been offroad now a handful of times. My concern has always been that I can find a way to enjoy this hobby without a) breaking the law and b) upsetting /annoying the residents of the areas we visit... We've been out a few times now and it's been a real revelation to me that you can ride for miles on totally legal byways for 5 hours and not even pass single person let alone upset them! All thanks to mike who puts a lot of effort in finding the routes... I can heartily recommend Beddows Tours - another great route & another fun day. Only thing I'm disappointed at is that the pictures really don't do it justice .In real life that rocky trail was so steep that the 2 of us couldn't push my unladen bike up it with the power on... Andy

·
2,701 Posts
Here we are - not too scary to loook at (We think!). Andy on his XT6.

I told XT6 about a short section of track that I failed to complete last time I was over this way. We tried….and both failed. I failed first as XT6 dodged me and got stuck a few meters further on. A very steep section with LOTS of loose rock. Had to abandon and turn the bikes round and go the road way round. Photo doesnt do the track justice. It was really steep and big loose rocks!!!!

He-he-he, I recognise this one.:D . . . Took the alp up there last september, it's even worse when its wet. :eek: . . . . needed a pull out of the hollow on the left after sliding off on the cambered slab to the right. :happy8:. . . . . Came down it earlier this year, there was a group of little bikes struggling to get up.
You were'nt far off getting there.:thumbleft:
Another rider to help push/pull make's all the difference with the big bikes.(so at least 3 riders )
The stream crossing is'nt too bad in winter, but he deep rutted track that knocks your feet off the peg's is a barsteward.:p

Nice report and good effort boy's. :blob::blob::blob:
ps

I'm over that way tomorrow on the KTM exc400. :cool:

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thats as far as I could get with the @. Andy did well and scrambled round to my left. He almost got to the top of the crest before his backend gave way. With me behind pushing and him on the bike (and off) with the throttle on couldnt get the bike up and over. We were literally meters away from the top. After turning Andy round there was no point in trying to get my bike any further up so I turned round and headed back down. We got to the bottom covered in sweat. So hard to manouve the bikes on loose steep rocks. Great fun though. Will no doubt have another go next time we are that way (although Im sure we agreed that we would by pass in future!!!)

I would love to see someone have a go and get up.....as for the wet....we wouldnt stand a chance:thumbright:

The photo doesnt really give a good impression of the land. Really steep.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice one Mike and Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts