Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Off on a family camping holiday in Llantwit the week after next, wife and daughter in the car and my son and I on the XRV.
Anyone able to give a bit of info on the town of Llantwit and facilities please, pubs, curry houses, chippies, pound shops???. Whats the beach like? Is it muddy?
I want to get out to the castle in the air you can see from the motorway in Cardiff and I also want to visit the town centre.
I do not think I will have enough time to do it all!!

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Simon I will PM you my phone number I love about 20 minutes from there there are loads of things to do there

Llantwit Major town - Tourist Resident information Vale of Glamorgan

THe castle you are talking about is Castell Coch, and my great uncle used to be the caretake there so my Mum tells me

It is really easy to get to and a lovely bit of Welsh history in some really pretty grounds

Castell Coch

You get there if you get off the motorway where it is signposted Merthyr and head up the A470, take the first turn off (Tongwylais) and I think it is signposted from there

If your heading out that way it is also worth visiting St Fagans, the museum of Welsh Life, there is loads for the kids to see there

St Fagans: National History Museum | National Museum Wales
Sain Ffagan: Amgueddfa Werin Cymru | Amgueddfa Cymru

There are lots of coastal walks around Llantwit major as well, it's a very pretty little village with lots of local pubs around in the village. The beach there is quite stoney but your not too far away from Ogmore by Sea Legendary Villages - Ogmore by Sea and Southerndown http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southerndown beaches which are a little more sandy.

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:thumbright:Sharibee. Thanks for those links. Deffo going to Castle Coch, thats another thing I want to get onto film along with some bridge shots.
Don't suppose that anyone out there knows where to stop to shoot the bridge..Ah there are 2 bridges now I see from Google maps. Gotta shoot both now..yippee. I think I will shoot the bridges on the way down and get the Castel in too.
Where do I order some good weather?
I'd better extend the pillion seat for Jamie the lanky teenager. Thought about a plank of wood and a cushion as a get me by bodge!! Getting the pegs set a little further back would be great too.
So much to do, service the beast, fix the broken sump guard mounts, find the waterproofs...
I vaguely remember the A470. Isn't that the main route through Cardiff? I worked there 18 years ago and had a rent in Dyfrig st which backed onto the castle grounds. Ahh good memories.
I must get a spoon, a miners lamp, visit a mine.....I am sure the girls team will be wanting to do visit Dinefwr park. I know my daughter wants to see torchwood and Dr Who.
It's looking like a busy holiday!:happy6::happy6::happy6::happy6:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When the tides out :D

Stick Castell Coch
Tongwynlais, Cardiff CF15 7, UK into google maps and have a look at the castle
Hmm. Cant find the castel. Better get the glasses on the packing list too

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
To shoot the old bridge stop at Aust services on the M48, afraid there's nowhere convenient for the new one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts