Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
where next?
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago Lidl were selling an arc weldeing kit for £39.99. I've wanted to have a go at welding for ages so I took the plunge and bought one. It came with everything necessary to start welding except, strangely, the welding rods :confused:. Anyway, I went to Halfords and picked some up for £3.49 for 10. So I've been tinkering away in the garage with various bits of scrap metal and I've managed to come up with the following:

Both bikes now have a big foot on the sidestand and Black bike has double footpegs.

My narrowed pannier racks have a gusseted brace going around the rear mudguard, and my ammo box panniers have locks on them now.

My welding is not exactly pretty but as my neighbour said, that's what I've got a grinder for! For my next trick, I'll be fabricating a new rear carrier out of a tubular steel chair frame :thumbup:. Great fun.

Dylan

·
where next?
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
'a grinder and a pot of paint......makes the welder he aint!' :rolleyes::thumb::thumb:

I live by that moto!

Gorilla welding - ugly but strong!

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi mate, i've been bodging with my arc for years, its great kit for next to no money.......wanna save up for a sip/mig next.
:thumbup:by the way, you've done a nice job for a first attempt.....well done:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Did the same thing last year over here never welded before and Bricomarche (DO IT ALL) out here had a promo 50euros for a full starter kit :thumbright: first go ended up welding the mole grips to the vice :D got a little better over the year but always keep loads of discs to hand:thumb:
Phil

·
Stone Crazy
5,307 Posts
those LED work lights are good not seen the Aldi one but seen others around and i just got a digi caliper from Lidl last week. my son checked it against his more expensive one and it is just as accurate
merv

·
Stone Crazy
5,307 Posts
first attempt on some scrap metal, you will have rods sticking then holes in the metal and all sorts,

·
where next?
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would engine bars for the first attempt be taking things too quickly? :rolleyes:
YES! As Merv said, you will have welding rods sticking all over your project and you'll rediscover swear-words that you thought you'd lost years ago ;):p. I really struggled to get going with mine in the first place. It's impossible to see what is going on with the welding mask that you get with the kit. I borrowed an auto-darkening mask like this from my next door neighbour and it became a lot easier (though not easy) after that.

Also, as I don't have electricity in my garage, I ran an extension out from my front room to power the thing. And after I'd finished my first experiments, I discovered my dvd player/recorder had died - hard disc just clicks away to itself now. I guess that the huge and spiky nature of the power draw of the welder was too much for the delicate electronics in the dvd player. So now, if I'm playing at welding, I make sure all my delicates are switched off first.

On the up side, the other day, I needed to check under an inspection cover due to a blocked drain. I didn't have the special 'keys' to open the cover, so I got out my welder, and some bits of re-bar, and made them :thumbup::thumbup:. Worked a treat. Sticking bits of metal together is awesome!!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Also, as I don't have electricity in my garage, I ran an extension out from my front room to power the thing. And after I'd finished my first experiments, I discovered my dvd player/recorder had died - hard disc just clicks away to itself now. I guess that the huge and spiky nature of the power draw of the welder was too much for the delicate electronics in the dvd player. So now, if I'm playing at welding, I make sure all my delicates are switched off first.
Ah. I'm sharing a house with 4 computer scientists next year. Maybe I'll put this one on the back burner.....

Uni should have something I can use instead :thumbup:

·
Registered
689 Posts
am now in the market fur an arc welder... whats the difference in strengths to a MIG or in ease of use..?? I think the arc wid be easier sayin that all that stickin an swearing... Man a can do without that

·
Beer monster.
227 Posts
Mig is a lot easier, but will cost you more.
Mig is also a lot neater.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
use a few bits of scrap iron to get a feel for it and turn the welding set up and down to get the optimum size weld that you will need for the job you want to do. ACTUNG ! never weld on a vehicle with the battery connected some even say disconnect the alternator and it might be no harm to remove the petrol tank and pack wet rags around the carbs /wiring especially if your using an angle grinding . have fun and try to not burn the shed down or blow up yourself and your bike . if you has a fire exstinger :lol: keep it handy . get flashed in your eyes a few times with out a welding shield you will end up with arc eye for the night you will have very sore eyes and you may even be crying for your mammy it will hurt that much .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts