Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Need a job
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all!

I had an idea to make tensioning the chain slightly less fiddly:
Would it be possible to get rid of the 2 nuts used for tensioning the chain and replace them with one locknut?
So:
-undo axle
-tighten chain
-fasten axle

Might be a stupid new boy question, but in my mind it seems a reasonable solution to an otherwise fiddly problem.

Feel free to tell me how stupid an idea it is, I'm only looking for a bit of attention anyway...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I dont see the problem so long as you used nylon type locknuts and checked them every time you tension the chain, any sign of wear or deterioration they get replaced.

Good idea.:thumbup:

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
BAD IDEA!

The reason there are two nuts is they act as a mechanical lock, the threads acting against each other. if you replaced with a nyloc it would move, the nylon would not be enough to cope with the vibrations and stresses. You could find the adjustment could gradually over adjust itself or under adjust itself or a comination of the two gradually, resulting in a crooked wheel alignment and probably damage or wear and tear or even death. I'd leave it as it is designed to be, do you not think the manufacturers would love to fit one nut,it would save them money and assembly time, they fit two because it needs two.

·
Registered
897 Posts
BAD IDEA!

The reason there are two nuts is they act as a mechanical lock, the threads acting against each other. if you replaced with a nyloc it would move, the nylon would not be enough to cope with the vibrations and stresses. You could find the adjustment could gradually over adjust itself or under adjust itself or a comination of the two gradually, resulting in a crooked wheel alignment and probably damage or wear and tear or even death. I'd leave it as it is designed to be, do you not think the manufacturers would love to fit one nut,it would save them money and assembly time, they fit two because it needs two.

Think you've just saved his life!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry BTBloke, we use Nylocs on our aircraft (Helicopters) all the time and the vibration is not that much of a problem if at all, but I did say to inspect the nylon every time you adjust the chain. If the vibration was that much of an issue then the locknuts would need to be wirelocked together and to the swingarm as they could vibrate loose.

Loic.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Transalp chain tensioing is something I hate with a passion, I hate those 2 nuts that get used with the block that fits in the swingarm I have often wondered if you could have the same system of notched cam adjusters like XRs and @s fitted by drilling the swingarm and putting a welded bolt thread in there for the cam adjusters to hook up against, if you get what I mean

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Transalp chain tensioning is something I hate with a passion, I hate those 2 nuts that get used with the block that fits in the swingarm I have often wondered if you could have the same system of notched cam adjusters like XRs and @s fitted by drilling the swingarm and putting a welded bolt thread in there for the cam adjusters to hook up against, if you get what I mean
Why did they not just use the same swinging arms as on the other bikes with the cam?
It would have saved manufacturing costs as only the one system would be required. I have never been at ease using the twin nut system.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had the loan of a Suzuki SV650 a few years ago. As I recall, that used nyloc locknuts on its chain adjusters - so Suzuki obviously didn't see a massive problem. I would say if you're going to use them, check them regularly (at least every time you adjust the chain) and go for stainless ones from somewhere like Stagonset so you won't have corrosion worries. It's always a good idea to check wheel alignment when you adjust chain slack anyway - once you get the hang of it, it only adds a few minutes to the job, and gives peace of mind.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My BSA has the old style nylock nuts. It is after all the tightening of the wheel spindle that stops any movement. If that came loose the wheel could still move backwards even with the adjusters locked up, though not much on the lefthand side due to the chain.

Can't really see any major problem with the lock nuts though.

·
Need a job
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can I stick my head out again? That'll teach me for asking silly questions when I'm bored at work, eh? :sad5:
You guys scared the *%$ out of me with the talk of ''death'' and ''big repair bills'' so I think I'll stick with the 2 nuts.

Strange to see how peoples opinions differ though. Some would'nt do it if you paid them and others said it'll be allright. Interesting. I suppose it comes down to different experiences and the like.

Anyhow, enough talk about my nuts. Cheers for the advise and warnings, as usual XRV rocks!
:rr:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts