Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm fairly new to biking, so far i've never let the bike out of my sight on a ride which obviously isn't ideal. Please can you advise what solutions you have? I have a motorbike chain but it weighs 12+kg so I dont know how best to transport it? Seem to think the rear rack is only rated to 9kg? I'm worried an alarm will just drain the battery every time I want to go out. The steering lock can be broke and then the bike just pushed away? Am i just being paranoid and worrying about nothing? Will a smaller chain through the rear wheel be enough?

TIA,

Rob

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think your being abit paranoid rob, the only time i take a security divices is if i am having a few nights away on the bike i use a thatcham approved disc lock but take care with these as ive just smashed my front mudgauard on my other bike while moving things around in the garage!.

·
Registered
527 Posts
ive just smashed my front mudgauard on my other bike while moving things around in the garage!.
Ha ha ha

TBH Shaun if you haven't ....... then yet not really a biker! Mine was a GSXR750L

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
google bike locks . I have a chain and pad lock bough from a hardware shop that I lock my front wheel to a metal railing with its not too heavy it will prevent people just riding off or lifting it into a van if I am going somewhere I take it but normally I just have a cable lock in my top box . nothing will stop determent scum in white transit vans they use battery powered small angle grinders go trough the best lock money can buy like a hot knife threw butter in a minute flat the bastards can even detect trackers on a bike you cant win with them . certainly a good strong disc lock with slow down opportunists but attaching it to something as well will help . :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
its possible to get a bargain on a second hand good quality chain or disc locks on e bay too . someone getting out of bikes flogging off their unwanted gear and all :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
What bike do you have?

I have AT's and always carry an Oxford Magnum U-bolt type lock on the RD07a in the location provided under the rack, on the RD04 Marathon I just carry the same lock in a hydration rucksack

On my DRZ400 I have a smaller Oxford Magnum U-Lock that fits in the peli case I have on the rack for spares, tools, tubes, puncture repair kit and waterproofs etc

At home I have the Allmax chains and HSS locks

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
i think you're being a bit paranoid. just get a lock like this for when you're out and about. this will stop people breaking the steering lock and wheeling it away.

Xena-XZZ6-Aprilia-Motorcycle-Disc-Lock-Alarm-434-Yellow-3.jpg

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
i think you're being a bit paranoid. just get a lock like this for when you're out and about. this will stop people breaking the steering lock and wheeling it away.

View attachment 92010
the feral track suit wearing little inbred bastards use skate boards to move bike's these days lock the bike to something in the busiest place you can plenty of people around is a little bit of a deterrent :thumbup:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Your level of paranoia will vary according to where you live. I've had a couple of cars stolen but never a bike. I didn't leave them in the more likely nicking areas tho.
Alarms and immobiliser s made it harder to ride your bike away but ultimately it can be picked up and wheeled away or skateboarded as alias says.
A cordless grinder will make short work of any chain really but its noisey and gets you noticed. A sledge hammer will do the same thing to a chain and padlock but its harder to carry around.

It's a case of inconvenience for you vs inconvenience for the thief and only you can decide how far you want to go.
I've had bikes for erm 30 years, only had alarms on them, if that and not had one nicked but I know mates who have lost their bikes for ever cos of thieves even chained up.

Choose what level of personal inconvenience you can tolerate and go with that. Alarms and chains would be my limit.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
i would get a disc lock and a cover. most thieves are opportunists. if you make it that bit harder for them, they will move on.

most bikes that are stolen are scooters and sports bikes. a transalp is not particularly sought-after. i've lived in london 20 years riding transalps and have never had any problems. but my mate with a £9,000 ducati sports bike has had it lifted onto a van 5 times, and he only got it back twice because it had a tracker/tracking service (police aren't interested)

although i did meet a bloke the other day who said his new £10,000 KTM adventure was almost nicked in central london, in daylight, they broke the steering lock but couldn't move then bike as it had one of these on

KTM-Radial-Roadlok.jpg

i know a guy that has an old blackberry phone hidden on his scooter. someone nicked it once and he could trace it's location from the gps in the phone, he found it locked away in a nearby housing estate, police came and removed the lock for him, but wouldn't let him lie in wait for the thieves!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I use one of these on my bike , the conical part spins around if you try to use an angle grinder on it.
Not too heavy to carry in your pocket,
I havnt lost a bike yet but I dont live in London.:thumbup:

Abus_granit_victory_x_plus_68_motorcycle_disc_lock_yellow.jpg

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Never mind London, what about Liverpool?
I dont live there either :D:D:D

The first thing I did when i finished my carpentry and joinery apprenticeship when Thatcher came to power was jump on my bike (with my locks and tool bag) and went to germany to do the Aufwedersehen Pet thing and never came back.
Wouldnt go back if it was free ,I wonder if its changed after 35 yrs?.:thumbup:

PS.
We used to go to Angelsey on our summer holidays to Benlech and Red Wharf bay ,no houses on bricks there as I recall :D:D:D

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You should try NZ, all their houses are timber framed and they're short of chippies. They can't build fast enough to keep pace with the population, so they need builders. Great lifestyle and climate; been here since November and got no great incentive to go back. Anglesey in February? No contest. Just wish I had my bike here.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I dont live there either :D:D:D

The first thing I did when i finished my carpentry and joinery apprenticeship when Thatcher came to power was jump on my bike (with my locks and tool bag) and went to germany to do the Aufwedersehen Pet thing and never came back.
Wouldnt go back if it was free ,I wonder if its changed after 35 yrs?.:thumbup:

PS.
We used to go to Angelsey on our summer holidays to Benlech and Red Wharf bay ,no houses on bricks there as I recall :D:D:D

Would'nt come back if it was free! DON'T even dream about it!! the whole country is turning into a sh*thole and will remain so as long as we are in the EU.:(:(:(

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Would'nt come back if it was free! DON'T even dream about it!! the whole country is turning into a sh*thole and will remain so as long as we are in the EU.:(:(:(
How is leaving the EU going to help......................seriously.
The last half dozen British PM,s created this mess ,you cant blame it all on europe :D:D:D

·
Registered
897 Posts
How is leaving the EU going to help......................seriously.
The last half dozen British PM,s created this mess ,you cant blame it all on europe :D:D:D

Yeah the problem goes way back when we joined, but we are on a bike site here so I won't get into it ;)

I'll just keep on biking it helps to keep me sane :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Yeah the problem goes way back when we joined, but we are on a bike site here so I won't get into it ;)

I'll just keep on biking it helps to keep me sane :)
I am going stir crazy waiting for winter to end so I can get my bikes out and clean the winter dust from them :thumbup:
I wont take em out of hibernation until the local council have stopped throwing salt all over the place every time the temperature drops.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts