Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Only 4 months to go till were as good as banned from central London . I will be sad as my SLR has been doing the 15mile commute for the last 8 years rain or shine .I should just get it passed the 40k mile mark by April. Not sure what to replace it with maybe a cb500x or g650gs ! Dooh
I thought I was the last person up there commuting on a 20 year old bike , I pulled up next to a flat tracked 1995' dominator at the lights tonight at Waterloo bridge , that cheered me up 馃榾

Registered
My 鈥99 NX650 will be surplus to requirements when / if ULEZ comes in, so watch this space if anyone wants a donor bike for a custom project.

A shame, because the Dommie has been great as a commuter bike, winter hack and occasional off-roader for the last five years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve
ultra low emission zone,and they be expanding it in 2021!or pay the ferryman!
you could always join a moped gang,they seem to getaway will murder:mrgreen:
i will have dibbs on yer dommie btw if youre giving it away and its rideable,i am living in northern ireland close to the soft/hard/soft/hard border?:joker:
but i would gladly take your bike and give it a good home with my FX

Registered
Well that is a very kind offer... but I was rather hoping to sell it, not give it away! :)

i will have dibbs on yer dommie btw if youre giving it away and its rideable,i am living in northern ireland close to the soft/hard/soft/hard border?:joker:
but i would gladly take your bike and give it a good home with my FX

Registered
[Double-post - also posted on the Transalp forum linked by Wicky above]

I had a brief exchange of emails with Honda UK before Christmas, about my year 2000 NX650 Dominator...
Me: [requested CoC for the bike, quoted VIN and registration number]
Honda: CoC unavailable for that bike, either due to age / it's an off-road bike / it's an import.
Me: I suspect, from that list, it's because of age. Is there another source of emissions data for the bike? [It's not shown on the V5C reg doc]
Honda: Due to the age of the vehicle, these details are not available as they were not a requirement when the vehicle was manufactured.​

I'm a bit stumped now. If the manufacturer can't tell me the emissions data for the vehicle, I've no way of finding out whether it's below TfL's ULEZ NOx limit.

Registered
[Double-post - also posted on the Transalp forum linked by Wicky above]
If the manufacturer can't tell me the emissions data for the vehicle, I've no way of finding out whether it's below TfL's ULEZ NOx limit.
By the same logic, neither can TfL. Have you had, or can you get, a NOx emissions test done on your bike? If it's below the limit, surely there's not much TfL can say against you using it. Give it a service, get it running spot-on and get it tested: at least, you'll know.

Registered
By the same logic, neither can TfL. Have you had, or can you get, a NOx emissions test done on your bike? If it's below the limit, surely there's not much TfL can say against you using it. Give it a service, get it running spot-on and get it tested: at least, you'll know.
TfL have nothing to prove. All bikes that are not Euro3 compliant (c.2007) are liable to the ULEZ charge but they have since conceded that if the NOx emissions alone of a particular model are within the threshold, that model would be exempt.

As for testing an individual bike, TfL and DVSA have yet to agree the testing requirements.

In the end, I expect an old-spec carburated bike such as the Dommie will be over 鈥渢he limit鈥 but I鈥檇 like to know one way or t鈥檕ther before considering changing commuter-bikes.

Registered
I had another go with Honda UK about NOx emissions data for my bike (2000 NX650), using the form from MAG鈥檚 recent wiki article.

As before, they were unable to supply a certificate of Conformity due to the age of the vehicle (pre-2001 being their quoted cutoff).

They offered to provide a 鈥測ear of manufacture鈥 letter in exchange for 拢30. I asked whether such a letter would identify emissions data? Answer: no. No point getting one of those, then.

I tried another approach, suggesting that as 鈥淓uro1鈥 started in 1999 and included limits for NOx and other emissions, my bike - first registered in 2000 - was a model that MUST have been tested and the data should therefore be available.

Response: 鈥淯nfortunately there is no other way to obtain these details for you鈥

End very much dead.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Well the SLR has now officially retired from the London commute. If anyone out there is looking for a well kept totally original Red SLR please drop me a line .
Hagon shock , nearly new metzerlers, starts runs and ticks over , never cuts out , oil changed every 3000 miles MOT. 39k miles but engine is very quiet.It's always washed and looks very good for a 20 year old bike., I've had it for 8 years, sad to see it go 拢1000 will buy it.

Registered
I took the drastic step of getting a job outside London so I鈥檓 still on my 99 NX650!

Not a deliberate ploy, just the way things have turned out.

Hope your SLR finds an appreciative new owner, M90Jef. It sounds like you鈥檝e looked after that bike. Same can鈥檛 be said for me and mine!

Registered
Fitz, thats a good option and glad you will be able to continue to enjoy your Dominator. I have been using mine every day on the commute since getting her back on the road towards the end of November last year. I'm genuinely gutted that from next Friday she will sit at the side of the garage waiting for the odd fun trip out. At some stage she will be green lane prepped with some nice knobbly tyres.

Funny enough on the way home the other night I see the Red Dominator coming through Lewisham, occasionally see that one around. Not sure if the owner is on here..

My bike stinks of fuel and oil so no way my one would ever be under the required emission output.

Registered
March 2019

ULEZ lifeline for older bikes

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2019/march/ulez-test/

Riders of older motorcycles in London have been handed a lifeline thanks to a new TfL-approved emissions testing centre being set up that should see many older bikes be exempted from the upcoming ULEZ (Ultra Low Emissions Zone) charge.

On April 8, the Capital introduces the new ULEZ in a further bid to improve air quality. To enter this zone, all motorcycles which are not compliant with Euro3 (ie made pre-2007) will have to pay 拢12.50 per day.
Is my old bike going to cost more to ride in London?

Not necessarily. As TfL are currently only intending to crack down on vehicles with excessive NOx emissions and many pre-2007 bikes actually produce less than the 0.15 g/km limit TfL have set, so older bikes could be exempt as long as owners can prove their low NOx emissions.

Some bikes were tested for this when manufactured but many were not, so until now there was no way of proving a bike鈥檚 emissions were under the limit. Now, however, Riverbank Motorcycles, which is the only TfL-approved facility for testing bikes, has removed that problem.
How does it work?

It鈥檚 been set up by John Rusby and Neil Freeman at Riverbank Motorcycles just by the London Olympic Park. It鈥檚 similar to a motorcycle dyno, however they have had to source new exhaust gas measuring equipment and develop their own test that meets the rigors of the emissions standards.

Bikes are placed on the dyno, run through the test three times, which involves idling, acceleration and deceleration, and an average is then taken. Much like an MoT, the result is a straight pass or fail.

鈥淲ell maintained, properly set-up and cared-for bikes stand a much better chance of meeting the standard and passing the test,鈥 says Freeman. 鈥淗owever, there are certain problems that will guarantee a fail; such as leaking inlet manifolds or badly fitting air filters.鈥

If a bike passes the test, the results are uploaded straight to the TfL database resulting in an exemption. But even if a bike fails it鈥檚 not the end of the world. Sometimes simple maintenance is all that鈥檚 needed to get the bike within the correct levels. Although, even then, not all bikes will be able to meet the standards.

For more information, or to book a test for your bike, go to www.nationalemissionstestcentre.com The tests costs 拢175.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts