Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2006 Honda FMX650 Da Moto
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, and if it's better to be in the chat area, could an admin move it!

I should start by saying that i run a site for North UK based bikers, called, northukbikers - and in January, one of our members came up with an idea, to do a Top gear type challenge, and buy heaps of crap, that were at least 10 years old, and were unsuitable for long distances, - and ride from wherever they came from, (Lancs, Yorks and the North East) to Hawes, then on to the Tanhill inn, which is the highest pub in the UK, located near richmond, - sort of in the middle between all 3 areas.

I had drunk a few stella's and said that we could do it for all 3 air ambulance charities, and get personal sponsorship - and then had a few more stella's and bought a Honda Sky 50cc moped on ebay. Ok, it had no keys, the ignition is basically the back end of the barell, mounted on the rear end of the bike, and is run through another switch, which has to be pushed in to turn on the barrell part left. It's taxed and MOT'd. built in 1998 on an R reg, and had covered 11K miles.

After afew more stella's - (are ya getting the picture here :) ) I said, lets go to John O'Groats. before i'd got it!

My mate Vincent, sqaid he do it with me, and another mate from the North East, said he would ride his pan european as support bike - my ped maxed out at 36mph!, Vincents was about 50mph, (he'd bought an 02 piaggio zip 50, that, had been de-restricted)

If anyones interested in the story, I have strted writing it, and you can read the journey to John O'groats at http://www.northukbikers.co.uk/longwayhomep1.html and ther pages following that.

I think we have raised around 2500 quid so far :)

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I couldn't believe that it did it either!, I knew when we arrived at John O'Groats that it was gonna go all the bloody way back, and i wouldnt be able to use my RAC card LOL

I'd just like to say that I did the ride in memory of a member and mate,who lost his life in Scourie, on a trip round Scotland, RIP Roy (Just in case u were wondering what the stickers were about!)

If anyone would like to donate, have a look at the trip website, www.long-way-home.co.uk

Thx for the kind comments, gotta admit, it was pretty darn hardcore, but it was fun, - some visds of it are available on youtube, just have a look at the NUKB channel at www.youtube.com/northukbikers

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL - no chance :) - Ive already agreed to do the longest day thing next year, - on me FMX - 1000 miles in 24hrs i think it is :) Should be easier than mileage we did on the mopeds LOL :)

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
Absolutely mad, but brilliant :thumbleft:

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts