Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knowing how fragile and "always moving" the rear Africa Twin rack is, I started with a CB250 aftermarket rack to create something sturdy and "adventurous" looking.

Again cutting, welding, grinding, and welding and cutting....

All it needs now is a bit of powder coating

·
2,701 Posts
Nice job.:thumb: . . . but i would try it with a pillion on board before painting, . . the grab rail looks a bit close to the seat. (from personal experience :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice job.:thumb: . . . but i would try it with a pillion on board before painting, . . the grab rail looks a bit close to the seat. (from personal experience :rolleyes:)
Yes, that was one of my concerns,so I did test it with my number one passenger.
The pics do make it look a lot closer to the seat than it really is...

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Knowing how fragile and "always moving" the rear Africa Twin rack is, I started with a CB250 aftermarket rack to create something sturdy and "adventurous" looking.

Again cutting, welding, grinding, and welding and cutting....

All it needs now is a bit of powder coating
nice work:thumbup:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And here's the final result after a good powder coater did his thing...

Very pleased with the result and when I have to push the bike back now, The handle doesnt bend and move like the original bit of plastic...

·
where next?
508 Posts
when I have to push the bike back now, The handle doesnt bend and move like the original bit of plastic...
What do you mean 'push it back'? Africa Twins don't break down do they?
:D:D

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you mean 'push it back'? Africa Twins don't break down do they?
:D:D
They dont (unless it's some kind of voodoo in the ignition barrel area:D:D:D:D) but i do like to park it with the front wheel facing the exit and these dont come with reverse. Learnt it from James Bond's movies. He always parks facing the exit...:glasses2: you never know when a quick exit's needed

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
thats a fantastic looking lob, well done.
i hate to be devils advocate but isnt there a major weak spot in the two upper bolts, where the tube has been scalloped out for the flat washers? i wouldnt be surprised if it fractures there after very long with a load.

i hate to say something because its great and you should rightly be proud as buggery with it, please dont think im dissing your rack

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats a fantastic looking lob, well done.
i hate to be devils advocate but isnt there a major weak spot in the two upper bolts, where the tube has been scalloped out for the flat washers? i wouldnt be surprised if it fractures there after very long with a load.

i hate to say something because its great and you should rightly be proud as buggery with it, please dont think im dissing your rack
Yes, the tube has been scalloped for the bolts because unfortunatelly those two bars run exactly on top of the holes where the bolts go.

It took me a while to get to this solution, but I'm more than sure that'll hold. I dont carry a top box, only a drybag with light camping stuff such as sleeping bags, mats, and light clothing. I like to keep the weight low in the bike (easier to pick it up)

The pipe was cut and I used another bit of pipe (bigger diameter) to reinforce the cut one in a 90º direction (hard to explain). Then a 3mm stainless washer was welded to the bottom to hold the whole thing down. If a plastic rear carrier holds , so will this.

I appreciate your concern , Dave, but in opposite to Carbon Fiber, I've been fabricating steel for a loooooong time:thumbup:.

Dont worry, if it brakes, I'll be the first to post it :D

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
The pipe was cut and I used another bit of pipe (bigger diameter) to reinforce the cut one in a 90º direction (hard to explain). Then a 3mm stainless washer was welded to the bottom to hold the whole thing down. If a plastic rear carrier holds , so will this.

I appreciate your concern , Dave, but in opposite to Carbon Fiber, I've been fabricating steel for a loooooong time:thumbup:.

Dont worry, if it brakes, I'll be the first to post it :D
jobs a good'un then, youve obviously thought it through, nice one.

wish i could weld that well, all i ever made was lines and lines of rats**t.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts