Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to the site, and hoping you guys could help me out. I’ve been trying to find a vintage Honda trail bike for a while, and I just came across this XL500S
it’s far away from where I live so I haven’t seen it in person yet… but from the pictures it appears to be all there

a couple immediate concerns I have are
  • The black on the cylinder head around the exhaust? Is this concerning?
  • The owner says it stalls when it gets warmed up. could this be a serious issue?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Cracking bike. If the price is right, prepare to get tucked into the cylinder head.
You might be lucky with just a bad head gasket, but being a single Honda, you might need to start playing with the valve train.
If you are happy getting your hands dirty, get in there :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Welcome. Stalling isn't something to worry about as a good carb clean and proper set up will normally sort any faults like that. Inlet rubbers get old and crack which will let in air and aid stalling too.
The oil looks like the cam cover gasket/rocker shaft O ring leak. Not unusual for an old xl either. Can be done with out removing the engine too if I remember right.
Have a listen from cold as these engines have camshafts that wear into the head, expensive fix, and also get a good look at the swing arm, know to rot up front.
Got a front wheel and pair of forks here if needed.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
welcome to the forum nice bike sorry I don't know much about them only I would love one myself . hope it turns out to be a good one . should be easy enough to get parts for it in your neck of the wood's I would imagine they sold well in north America a lot of youtube videos of them seem to be from there . maybe the oil leak is only something small like a rocker cover gasket of rev counter drive type of thing ? its worth buying and sorting mechanically its looks good enough cosmetically the exaust looks solid and all . be a fine bike when sorted maybe you don't even need to fix the oil leak just keep it topped up and ride away just get it running right :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
+1 on the cam cover leak. Check the front tyre carefully, it looks like the original 'cat's paw' design. If it's the original 23" wheel, that's likely, it's a rare size, and an original tyre will probably have perished sidewalls. As far as I know, you can only get knobblies in this size now. Don't let it put you off though, they are great fun bikes and dead easy to work on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had one for a number of years...problem somewhere with the head (leak/overheating?) on your bike.
Check the exhaust also (bottom & rear) mine was holed in a number of locations.
There are great to ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I've had one for a number of years...problem somewhere with the head (leak/overheating?) on your bike.
Check the exhaust also (bottom & rear) mine was holed in a number of locations.
There are great to ride.

Wow what a beautiful looking bike :cool: and welcome to the forum Alan .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts