Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TB
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know this isn't exactly bike related but I'm looking to power a ball machine (chucks the ball out at speed) with a car battery. But a normal car battery won't last that long, so my question is, is there a type of battery i can get that could be "supercharged" or something that will last longer. This might sound strange but hoping someone can help? Thanks, T

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Get some 2 volt cells from a submarine or an old telephone exchange. They are HUGE and 6 of them will give you 12 volts and last forever.

·
TB
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would prefer f it wa sjust one battery as we'll have to carry it in and out - and avoiding the possibility of uranium or radio active poisoning woudl be good too so may just give th submarine batteries a miss! ;o)

·
TB
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We had looked at a powere outlet previously but i seem to remember that it never gave quite as much zip to the machine - might have a look for a generator as you suggest. Thanks

·
Registered
585 Posts
What about a leisure battery like you have on a caravan. They have a larger capacity on account of them not being charged very often. more capacity usually means more money. Also a 12v lorry battery might offer a bit more power. Batterys are rated in amp hours so the higher the amp hours the more capacity. If I'm talking out my whatsit (not allowed any swear words here!) no doubt someone will delight in putting me right.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If 2v traction cells (forklift/submarine type)are too inconvenient (which they are but they would last for ages!), what you need is a deep-cycle battery or semi traction monobloc.
They are contructed differently to car batteries; whereas a car battey's job is to deliver a massive burst of current for a very short period of time (i.e when starting engine), a deep cycle bloc is built to deliver a much lower current but for a very long period of time.
There's loads of different types available, normally same sort of size as a car battery.
I know this because I sell them as part of my job (but we can't ship to Ireland at a reasonable cost I'm afraid!)

D

·
0 Posts
Leisure battery for a caravan lasts for years even got a carry handle. Dont buy cheap or you will buy twice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts