Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fancy getting myself an 1150GS when the cars sold but can't for the life of me find one at a dealer anywhere locally to get a test ride on one. I've never so much as sat on one so I really need to ride one before I go any further.

if anyone sees one at a dealer in the East Midlands let me know and I'll try and get a ride on it.

while I'm at it is there anything I should be looking out for as potential problems?

I've joined UKGSER for my sins but can't bring myself to post on there yet :)

I'm sort of considering the alternatives too, Vara, Tiger, Vstrom etc. but want to get the GS checked out first as that's kind of what I've set my heart on, rightly or wrongly.......

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
I'm sort of considering the alternatives too, Vara, Tiger, Vstrom etc. but want to get the GS checked out first as that's kind of what I've set my heart on, rightly or wrongly.......
Not seen any recently, will keep an eye out, I had a 955 Tiger last year.....what a fantastic machine,the triple oozzes torq and is silky smooth, the factory luggage is a bit restricting but they're easily changed for a set of ali boxes :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I've joined UKGSER for my sins but can't bring myself to post on there yet :)
I wouldn't be in to much of a rush. For every one sensible reply you will get half a dozen idiots with nothing better to do than be pedantic or tell you to rtfm. I now know why they are called tossers.

I certainly won't bother renewing my subs and will just leech in future.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Don't discount the R850GS
I covered 30k miles on mine.
When I bought my Transalp, it was because with the money I had, I wanted as new a bike as possible.
It would have meant an older GS, coupled with the fact, I'd like a different dealer near me.
Don't listen to people who say the 850 is under powered. There were only 2000 made, so most of the comments are hearsay.
I went down to Switzerland two up full luggage at 85-90 all day.
The bike will comfortably accelerate to over 100.
Other holidays to Portugal, great; except when the rear whell collapsed:(
I've always preferred standard swinging arms; easier for bearing removal, but might be just old fashioned. The BM drive shaft scared me a bit when it came to maintenance, but I don't have a garage.
Fantabulous handling, tappets take 20 minutes, very comportable.
Should've kept it..............
Transalp is a great bike, the BM was great also. I'd say it had the edge on most things, but I hate comparing.
Good luck
John

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
And on a helpful note

Have a look in autotrader. I get 23 GSs listed in dealers nationwide

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And on a helpful note

Have a look in autotrader. I get 23 GSs listed in dealers nationwide
done that but there's no 1150s near me that I can see at dealers and most private sellers wont allow test rides :(

I can't stretch to a 1200 otherwise there's loads to chose from

I did think about the 850 and 1100 but wanted to get something a bit newer and I don't like the styling of them as much ('orrible square headlight)

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Does anyone on here still own a Honda? :D

The 1150 is a great bike. :thumbright:
Why would you want to own a Honda?????? when there are BMW's around.:D:D

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Why would you want to own a Honda?????? when there are BMW's around.:D:D
so u can save a bit of money not replacing shaft final drives....:rolleyes:

there was a nice one on ebay today but I think is down south...

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I did think about the 850 and 1100 but wanted to get something a bit newer and I don't like the styling of them as much ('orrible square headlight)
Headlights: 'orrible but effective.

The 1150 had horrendous lights. Mine needed all sorts of aux lights to give me a decent beam. Other than that a great bike!!

I had an 1100 briefly and it was a nice bike. Don't ignore it unduly. The 850 was also said to be a very good ride...

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
there was a nice one on ebay today but I think is down south...
Whats wrong with being down south ??????:mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
if only I could afford one :(
Sell both cars then... Tell her the walk will do her good. You are more than welcome to a shot of my 12 if we are ever in the same area.

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've found an 1100 not far away that I could get a test ride on so might investigate that for now, I wont be buying it as it looks a bit tatty but it hopefully should give me an idea of if I'm going to get on with an 1150 (go on tell me I'm talking bollox now)

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
I've found an 1100 not far away that I could get a test ride on so might investigate that for now, I wont be buying it as it looks a bit tatty but it hopefully should give me an idea of if I'm going to get on with an 1150 (go on tell me I'm talking bollox now)
Ian, if your doing TLD you can give mine a test ride in Lowestoft, you wont be disappointed :thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts