Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New member here.
This is not a wanted ad.
I am planning on selling off my PanEuropean barge and get something a bit smaller.
I am a boring old thing and want a sensible reliable bike that i can do my own maintenance on.
I am also hoping to go and invade the Picos De Europa next year.
The Transalp seems to fit the bill. I dont want bucket and shim valves or any of that nonsense. Simple stuff and maybe a bit of off roadishness so I can survive the coming Zombie holocaust and chase the radioactive cockroaches.
I have browsed the net and there dont seem to be and dodgy issues at all on the Tranny. the Pan is indestructible until the cam belt goes or the swingarm. Mine haven't but the bike is going anyway.
is there anything the cognoscenti would advise me to look out for.
I am most likely to go for the 650, my budget is a bit low for the 700, probably around the £2200 mark, might go up if a certain commission comes in. (self employed artist).
Accessories that you would reccomend, I reckon for starters centre stand, crash bars and hard luggage.
Other thoughts, 600 versus 650 versus 700. In terms of rideability and pillionability.
I will be doing almost entirely road work (probably) a mix of commuting and touring.
Would lurve an Africa twin but doubt Mrs C could get herself on the back of one.

Cheers all.
Chunko'.

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Sounds like the TA fits the bill perfectly, right time to buy too.

You should be able to pick one up easily - ready kitted out, bought my '05 with full luggage & centre stand for a tad under 2K.

I'm sure you'll survive the holocaust on whichever model you choose, but only with the right decals ;)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nice to hear that, just have to get rid of the Pan.
I will miss the massive elastic band power of it but, never mind.
Brilliant logo.
My teenager is a Zombie lover, was going to ask where can I buy that logo on a Tee shirt for him.
But hey google is your corporate whore/friend, just ordered it for him.
But why is nobody saying this that and the other goes wrong with these bikes?
Right time to buy? I have noticed the price creeping up as December 21st approaches.
Big thanks, Chunko'.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Hi & welcome :)
It sounds like you may have to readjust your performance expectation when moving from the Pan.
If you are going two up, forget the 600's - they were softly sprung/ damped from new.

They are all pretty durable & long lived & no bucket & shim valves ;) but expect a few skinned knuckles & WTF's the first time you service it :D:D:D

Main things to check;
Exhaust headers rot (600)
Exhaust silencer can rot in with winter use
Wheel rims can rot if neglected - check around spoke nipples/valve
Output shaft splines/bearing can fail, rare but check.

Thats it reallyother than the usual stuff on a used bike.

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cheers
That seems to agree with what research I have done, the plugs sound as though they are hidden deliberately.
Skinned knuckles are no problem, sooner be wrestling with daft design than dropping shims and messing with camshafts.
I serviced my old XBR myself and last saw it with 90k miles on the clock.
Drop in performance? I will miss the massive shove but did not really use it that much. Old farts don't need to go fast.
Looking forwards to getting a TA sorted out.
I have licence 'issues' to sort out first.
Last December I was taken ill, almost croaked due to pneumonia and had some sort of seizure.
July this year DVLA suspended my licence (potty! 7 months to tell me). Hoping to be back on the road at the end of December.
Stll I got fit cycling 10 miles a day to work and have grown gills and webbed feet.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
TAs are built for the Herefordshire country roads and of course on the edge of Wales.
I have a 650 and find it adequate for bumbling around, a good compromise fast enough to get to the hills/lanes, light enough to ride around them. I had a ST1100, great for getting there but too great (large) for the lanes and conversely had a XR250 great on lanes but a pain getting there.
Servicing 600 and 650 simpler and lower tech than 700 but all are low tech compared to many current offerings.
Happy hunting

·
Registered
756 Posts
Sounds like the TA fits the bill perfectly, right time to buy too.

You should be able to pick one up easily - ready kitted out, bought my '05 with full luggage & centre stand for a tad under 2K.

I'm sure you'll survive the holocaust on whichever model you choose, but only with the right decals ;)

Hi what sort of mileage did you get for under 2k any luggage :thumbleft:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Pigugly, I have spotted that one, I have to sell my Pan first and hear back from DVLA about my licence.
(Suspended due to health issues). Should get it back this month.
Re Pan sale see thread in the chat section.

·
Registered
95 Posts
New member here.
This is not a wanted ad.
I am planning on selling off my PanEuropean barge and get something a bit smaller.
I am a boring old thing and want a sensible reliable bike that i can do my own maintenance on.
I am also hoping to go and invade the Picos De Europa next year.

Great move- you'll love it. The Picos are great, as are the Pyrenees, but you can begin by a tour of the Scottish Highlands and Islands.

The Transalp seems to fit the bill. I dont want bucket and shim valves or any of that nonsense. Simple stuff and maybe a bit of off roadishness so I can survive the coming Zombie holocaust and chase the radioactive cockroaches.

How wise. It is not much talked about but there is BIG trouble ahead and many economies will be in free fall. Riots and bank burning (a good thing) will happen. That is unless Israel kills us all by attacking Iran. Its all brewing. Get that TA to head for the woods!

I have browsed the net and there dont seem to be and dodgy issues at all on the Tranny. the Pan is indestructible until the cam belt goes or the swingarm. Mine haven't but the bike is going anyway.

If you look at a TA take off the front sprocket panl and CHECK THAT SPLINED SHAFT!
is there anything the cognoscenti would advise me to look out for.
I am most likely to go for the 650, my budget is a bit low for the 700, probably around the £2200 mark, might go up if a certain commission comes in. (self employed artist).

the 650 is just fine.
Accessories that you would reccomend, I reckon for starters centre stand, crash bars and hard luggage.

Alpos do cheap(er) boxes. I suggest no top box but that's my prejudice. They block the use of the w/proof roll bag and tent.Also you couldnt find a
worse place on a bike to put a box - high and to the rear. And if the missus is on , then a T/box is a real pest.

IMO avoid all the fashion boxes like Toura and Metal Mule, which come in at eyewatering prices. You'd be ashamed to tell folk what you paid. There's a lot of posing in this kind of biking, among the travelbikers. It should be said that I cant stand fashion biking and of course that annoys the fashion bikers; so that's where I'm coming from. :)

Spare reg/rect. Spare fuel pump or fit a facet.

Other thoughts, 600 versus 650 versus 700. In terms of rideability and pillionability.
I will be doing almost entirely road work (probably) a mix of commuting and touring.

I'd say most people do what you do.

Would lurve an Africa twin but doubt Mrs C could get herself on the back of one.

The missus can get on an AT as easily as a TA. She just stands on the passenger peg to climb on and thats it! The AT is the classic bike, but the TA is the bee's knees also. Anyway, whose bike is it? Get the Africa Twin, and also admiring glances from TA owners who want to upgrad
e. ;)
;)

Cheers all.
Chunko'.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quality information there, covers lots of things, I understand the comment about fashion biking.
There is a guy near me on a 1200GS, he has all the bells and whistles, even LED lights like xmas lights on his cylinder heads. Weird.
The tip about the spline son the output shaft is worth having. Would I be looking for worn splines and welding on the sprocket.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Crapper - you have 1 or 2 innacuracies.....

Top boxes are great for pillions & very handy for day trips. Mine lives on the bike except when camping.
We are not all world travellers.

There is no fuel pump on the Alp so no need to take a spare!
The rr's are long lived on the 650 unlike the AT & older Honda's, so no need to upgrade. Just make sure you have a cleen connection where the alt joins the bikes' harness ;)

Phil

·
Registered
95 Posts
Crapper - you have 1 or 2 innacuracies.....

Top boxes are great for pillions & very handy for day trips. Mine lives on the bike except when camping.
We are not all world travellers.

Me neither - but I wouldnt call that an inaccuracy about T/boxes.;)

There is no fuel pump on the Alp so no need to take a spare!

Correction fully accepted:thumbup::thumbup: - didnt know they were gravity fed. I wish the AT was the same.
The rr's are long lived on the 650 unlike the AT & older Honda's, so no need to upgrade. Just make sure you have a cleen connection where the alt joins the bikes' harness ;)

Even the early TAs? I heard they had the same prob - but good news if they do
nt:thumbup:

Phil

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quality information there, covers lots of things, I understand the comment about fashion biking.
There is a guy near me on a 1200GS, he has all the bells and whistles, even LED lights like xmas lights on his cylinder heads. Weird.
The tip about the spline son the output shaft is worth having. Would I be looking for worn splines and welding on the sprocket.

Yes re splines /sprock - but search around the forum for this well discussed issue. Theres someone right now on XRV who bought a TA with a welded sprock. I thought he'd have been here to pass on the word....

What does pigugly have to say on this???? Or any other TA owner?

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts

Yes re splines /sprock - but search around the forum for this well discussed issue. Theres someone right now on XRV who bought a TA with a welded sprock. I thought he'd have been here to pass on the word....

Worn output shaft on TA's hardly ever comes up so in my view not much of a problem.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Worn output shaft on TA's hardly ever comes up so in my view not much of a problem.

I'm sure you have a point Austin - but can you help the bloke from Ireland who posted a day or two ago with a TA who had a look at his purchase and somebody had welded the sprocket on because of the splines being worn?

He has a quite a problem - as a TA owner can you advise him? I can only say a little bit because I have an AT but few were helping him so I chipped in. :)

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I'm sure you have a point Austin - but can you help the bloke from Ireland who posted a day or two ago with a TA who had a look at his purchase and somebody had welded the sprocket on because of the splines being worn?

He has a quite a problem - as a TA owner can you advise him? I can only say a little bit because I have an AT but few were helping him so I chipped in. :)
Ah, yes I havent read all the threads and posts and thought it was a general question and not a specific one. I have now found Alias's post about his welded on sprocket and he has had some advice, but as far as I know there's no quick fix or anything different about how you would fix a TA's output shaft compared to fixing one on the AT, just that TAs are (a lot) less prone to them wearing. If he can find a way of removing than rewelding a new sprocket on then he should be able to get 30,000 miles out of it before working out what to do next, or as you have suggested 500euro seems good value to get the engine rebuilt for peace of mind. It depends how much money he has in the bike and how much he can afford to send on repairs.

Back on the thread topic: the output shaft is worth a look on a high mileage bike especially if the chain is too tight. Otherwise not normally an issue. Other things are sticky brakes, kanckered alternator end cap, wheels for rust/rot, plus signs of abuse from thrashing, dropping, off roading, general lack of maintenance and TLC. They are very robust bikes. In my opinion what would set one apart from the other would be the owner, "the story" behind the bike, and accessories or modifications. Look for a keen owner who doesnt really want to sell and has added the right accessories and mods and you are almost certainly onto a good 'un.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
thanks for the info lads :thumbright: i went lucking for a facet fuel pump on the rugged roads website and i was anoyed that they didnt list one for a transalp . i was kinda anoyed but now im glad :D i had one go on an ntv 650 once . i pushed the bike home 3 miles home it nearly killed me and thats 7 years ago . today id set fire to it :toothy10: . im going to ride away untill the chain and sprockets need changeing i think i will get another 2k at least out of them they will be kept well oiled and i ride real smooth and easy its kinder to the bike and stuff dont wear out as fast . my last fast bike was a yamaha fzr 1000 ru it was a great bike but the only fun to be had on it was while rideing fast . it was light enough on petrol 50 mpg when rideing smooth and fast keeping it down to about 70 mph with out screaming it too much but its appetite for tyres was a bit much . i swaped it for a 1981 bmw r100t that was a lovely old thing to ride but it gave me a lot of trouble . so i got rid of it . im well chuffed with the transalp and i will do what ever it takes to keep it going . i will try to very carefully grind/ cut off the sprocket and weld on a genuine honda front sprocket . it should be ok .i have got some good advise on the other thread and thanks agin for that lads :thumbright:.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts

As Austin says, the topic does crop up regularly, and yes shagged shafts do crop up from time to time. Personally, I think there is more discussion & worry about them than than the amount of problem shafts justifies.
That said, I'd certainly check said item pre purchase for peace of mind.
I reckon a decent welded on sprocket with quality chain should see 30k+, another one 60k this on an already well used bike.......

Over the years I have owned/part owned 6 Alps & checked/serviced many many more & never seen a knackered shaft.....

Stelth Crapper, stop frettin' & enjoy the flipping thing!

Phil

1 - 19 of 19 Posts