Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
0 Posts
Id looked at one of those when the first beta products were doing the rounds.

Its something on the xmas list. My son begs for a camp fire every time I take him camping, but its not something thats practical or allowed. That ticks all the boxes :). Just a tad pricey

Paul

Sent from my GT-N7105

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Sorry to sound like a miserable old pessimist, but the power export is only about 2W. So don't expect it to charge very quickly.

On the plus side, the heat output is comparable with a decent sized gas burner, and it runs on fuel you can find almost anywhere. As a stove, it's a really clever way of boosting output, efficiency and ease of lighting: I just think the charging ability is a bit of a sales tactic.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
It would not work that easy during the snowy season, and you have to carry your own fuel if walking above the tree line in the mountains.

Even dry wood burns slowly, and the energy content in any wood is less than in gas, kerosene or petrol, so one have to carry more weight for the same energy.

The stove without the charging possibility would be just another wood burning stove, and the charging facility is IMHO very low.

Save the money and get a decent multifuel stove and use a 20 $ solar panel to charge your equipment. A $20 Solar Charger Runs All My Gadgets : TreeHugger

It will charge even if there is no direct sun.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Even dry wood burns slowly, and the energy content in any wood is less than in gas, kerosene or petrol, so one have to carry more weight for the same energy.

The stove without the charging possibility would be just another wood burning stove, and the charging facility is IMHO very low.
I guess the idea is that you use the fuel lying around: fine in a dry country, but a bit ambitious in a Welsh winter. But I do think the fan-assisted combustion is a good idea: gasifying log boilers get flame temperatures of over 1,000 degC this way. I'm not suggesting the stove will get that hot, but 3.5kW output is not bad. It's one step on from a Kelly Kettle/Benghazi Boiler.

·
0 Posts
You have missed the point. The stove is designed for third world countries predominantly.

Sent from my GT-N7105

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
You have missed the point. The stove is designed for third world countries predominantly.

Sent from my GT-N7105
What, so 3rd world that they need to spend a fortune on a stove that will charge their smartphone :rolleyes:

Nah, it's a bit of a gimick. I'll stick to the Coleman & charge the phone from the bike :D

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
0 Posts
Well if you had read about said protatypes and its aims you wouldnt be quite so sceptical phil. And as a few charities are supplying tbese stoves in said countries and recycled phones from the west are handed out it fulfils a need for power.
Granted
Its more of a novelty product for people in the western world. I dont think its marketed as a competitor to coleman, msr or trangia to name a few brands.
I suspect there were quite a few Americans recently who may have been gratefull of this stove in the nyc area with no power or fuel
Sent from my GT-N7105

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
End of the day it comes down to what's tried and tested, these stoves would be great in warmer, drier and more remote locations. Agree, in wet season Wales it would be close to useless due to no dry wood to burn in it!
I need a stove I can use in any weather with readily available fuel. My gas stove is excellent for all conditions, even inside my tent porch if the weather's poor. My Primus unleaded is superb for most conditions, excluding inside my tent!
So, I'm afraid I won't be buying one of these wood burners!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My jetboil is great for all situations, personally I think it's the best stove on the market.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts