Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst messing about with the sprockets I noticed that the gear lever was a little loose.

Noticed that the fine splines are worn on the lever and on the shaft. The leaver is an easy fix, just get a new lever, the shaft is another matter, and thoughts on how to get it all tight? I was thinking of using something like bearing fit, but all ideas welcome.

Cheers

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi, I'd look to open up the gap on the locking nut on the lever (so it pinches harder on the shaft), an angle grinder or small file should do it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
ive not changed a shaft on an xr but have on a cr250 took almost 15 mins start to finish remove clutch basket then the shaft pulls out from the r/h/s or the engine slide new one in refit clutch new gasket side caSING on job done
thats on a cr but ide bet the xr isnt much more involved and you dont have to split the cases

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff, sounds like a good idea, I'll have a look tomorrow

Mad, it is a case split to change the gear lever shaft, just checked the manual

Cheers

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
You could try a new lever first or weld a new block too the lever ,
cos case split is not going to be quick or cheap, worst case scenario tack the lever too the shaft with weld,
Where do i get a new block from he asks? HERE i reply
Merv

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
An old trick is to open up the gap on the gear lever, place it on the shaft, then use dress pins in the slots. Put in sufficient, then tighten the clamp around the shaft & pins. Then just trim off any excess length of the pin ends.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mate, ive had the same problem with my XR250R, and its now fixed, what I done was take the lever off and place it in my vice so that it closed up, ( like you had it on the shaft). Anyway all I done then was to get the hacksaw and saw down the opening hence opening up the gap, I had to do this twice but its worked a treat and hasnt gone loose since and that was over a year ago now.
Hope this option helps you, hell anything to save money, Ive just had to shell out £13.50 on two exhaust gaskets:(:eek::(:eek::(:eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts