Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've got my AT 650 on the road after a bit of work on rear shock and rear brakes. Have had a few rides out in Yorkshire but it has just failed me. Having riden about 35 miles it lost power and then refused to start until the engine had cooled. When trying to start it again it was as if the kill switch was set to OFF. After 20 mins or so it started again but then did the same about 20 miles further on.

I'm quite new to bikes but I have enjoyed doing work on this and others. Does this have an obvious cause to those who know? If so can some one help?

Paddy

·
Registered
121 Posts
Check the connections to the starter solenoid (left side of seat) and check the solenoid isn't showing signs of burning.

I had a lot of charging problems with mine and it kept cutting out, everything pointed to the reg/rec or alternator but turned out to be a simple bad connection and burnt out starter solenoid!

Definetly check it out...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Wheelie, will check it first thing tomorrow. I hope its that simple. Someone had suggested coils but I wasn't convinced as I thought it would just make 1 cyclinder stop firing not the lot.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Also could be sidestand or clutch switches.. take them off and give them a good clean/test etc...

Does the battery appear to be fine when the problems happen? Could point more to the clutch/sidestand switch if the battery appears to be fine.

Could also potentially be the kill switch itself.. or a bad connection somewhere.

Electrical problems are bloody annoying :D:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks will have a good look at them as well. I was going away from the lose connection because it seemed to be related to the engine temp.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks will have a good look at them as well. I was going away from the lose connection because it seemed to be related to the engine temp.
Bad connection on the fan/thermostat? when it reaches temp for fan to come on it shorts out and kills the bike? just a thought, might not be the case though

Come to think of it the fan has never come on my bike, wonder if it even works :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts