Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Steve
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello,
My friend and neighbor only had one key for his xl125v 2002 and has lost it,he has searched everywhere but no luck,he has a very active toddler who may have chucked it,anyway can anyone tell me where the key number is located on this model,would it be on the inside of the petrol cap?under the seat?does not seem to be visible on ignition barrel,or are we going to have to remove the ign barrel and send it off to have a key cut to fit?if theyres anyone who has this model and has their key number(probably metal tag with spare)if you could look and see if the key no. is on the inside of the fuel cap or under seat etc. it would really help as to what our next course of action should be
Thanks in advance,
Stevo

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Does the bike have a Honda HISS immobiliser? If so he's going to have (expensive) problems, re the key number, it's normally on a metal tag supplied with the keys and as far as I'm aware not stamped onto the barrels.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Steve
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the bike does not have HISS,its just i had my own bike key stolen earlier in year but managed to retrieve it(long story,justice was done tho)and i went through the whole issue with it and one of the places that the key no. was possibly to be found was on the base of the petrol cap and if there is another owner of an xl125v year 2002 who could check then i could always try to pick the fuel cap lock and see?suppose trying to eliminate the quick fix options before running into the more expensive ones!

·
Stone Crazy
5,300 Posts
It is possible of you know who the dealer was that supplied it new they have a record , I think when I only got one key with a seat leon i bought the dealer there went on the Seat website got the car details up and that told him the key number to order , so any honda dealer maybe able to access it

Object lesson here , if you only have one key get to a locksmith ASAP and get another cut , even if you have to pay £100 for one it will save a lot og hassle in the long run , I bought a fiesta van , only one key , ford quoted me £185 for a remote key and they would have to make a non remote as well to program the remote key at £35 , but a non remote on its own was £90 , so i said i will just have the non remote £35 one please , oh it does not work ike that you only get the £35 as part of the service for the £185 one, went into local cobblers/shoe shop that has been cutting keys for years , asked if he could do one ,oh yes no problem i can clone one for you , 20 mins later £50 lighter i had a key that works , i am not worried about remote central locking on the key ,

Another tip if you break a key and the chip is in the plastic bit at the top , just get a new key dont bother programming it and attach old key top and to the new one with small cable ties or summat , or as my brother in law did with his Ka glue it under the steering wheel cowl so it is always there

·
Steve
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes mervin,its steve talking with you bout my engine guard,rivet master link(thanks again btw)its the man i bought my vigor off,he owns a varadero xl25v 2002,he a good olboy has a very active 4yr old boy who he reckons may have threw the key somewhere(hes getting the blame anyway!) the spare was attached to his car keys which were stolen earlier in the year the bike like your own was up for mot a few days ago i fitted a horn to it for him we got a new battery into it and he successfully prepped it for mot...went to get the key...nowhere to be found!! its lookin like if he cant find it were going to have to remove the barrel and post it off to have a key cut to fit £50 i think not too bad
Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, i used to work in a Honda/Suzuki dealer on the parts desk.
Most of the time Honda will have no record of the key number.
If a caring owner has jotted the key number in the owners handbook you have some hope of getting a key pre cut.
If it's not written in the handbook you have sod all chance of getting one pre cut.
There is (when new) a tag attached to the spare key ring that has the key number on it. As you've lost both keys this is not an option.
You will need a locksmith to attempt to cut a key to the ignition barrel. Barrel will need to come out and be taken to a workshop- very few locksmiths will be able to do this- most will gain access to your house but know dick all about making keys if it not on a key copier.
Failing that you will need a whole new lockset and a locksmith to remove the old locks (I take it everything is locked)
This is why it's sooooo important to make sure you have the key number AND a spare key.

***A customer used to ring up every few months asking for 2 keys for a bike he bought £500 cheaper as it had no keys.
He was suprised everytime we told him it was £1300 plus fitting for a lock set and ECU as the HISS system cant be changed without an exiting coded key. The new ECU and keys can only be coded together by a dealer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Steve
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes am calling with him today a locksmith i know sends the lock off to another locksmith in london who cuts a key to fit the barrel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts