Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my bike tripped over to zero on Friday morning just past Bishops Stortford. I thought I’d look at my service records (never been dealer serviced) and see what the bike has used in the last 100,000 miles. I was a bit gobsmacked when I counted things up.(Bought new in 2000)

8 Front tyres (Bridgestone TW101)
8 rear tyres (Bridgestone TW152)
4 Chain and sprocket sets (still on 4th, not been on long)
32 spark plugs
5 sets of rear pads
6 sets of front pads
13 oil and filter changes
2 clutch cables
3 speedo cables
1 set of rear wheel bearings
2 Honda fuel pumps (I’m a vacuum man now)
1 battery
1 regulator
1 set of camchains (changed as a precaution)
3 sets of grips
1 set of headstock bearings
1 set of clutchplates (didn’t need doing actually)
4 headlight bulbs
3 speedometer/tacho bulbs
1 trip meter pod (pod pod!!)
1 pair of front discs (don’t buy EBC discs, mine are crap)
1 choke valve
8 washes so I could see what colour it was
1 rear rim tape
5 airfilters then a K&N 40k ago

The tappets have been adjusted 5 times. Each of those times it was only one or two that needed adjusting. The carbs have been balanced 3 times, they don’t seem to go out of synch very easily.

Broke down 6 times of which 4 were repaired at the side of the road (clutch cable snap/fuel pump bolloxed/front puncture/ flat battery- push push) and 2 were tow home jobs (clutch cable snap without a spare/ rear puncture at 80mph can’t break the bloody bead, it never shifted depite the puncture at speed).

It’s been ridden on tarmac, Kent/Essex greenlanes/snow/through fords, on desert sand and gravel roads, rocks and most memorably on 15 miles of ice. It has not fell over yet, a personal record. It has been sworn at 4 times(sticky choke) and patted affectionately more times than I can count. It has shit loads of corrosion which bothers me not a jot.

It has had 2040 gallons of petrol through it’s fuel filter….Time for a new fuel filter I think. It has the second worse Africa twin colour scheme after the red/ white/blue 2000 type. I have missed 5th gear 5,231 times.

Anyone want to buy a 2000 model Africa twin with very low mileage(30 dry miles) and one careful owner.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
That is fantastic information.. had Honda been making the AT still I'm sure they would have been interested in all that info.

So how were the 100K + miles done? Plenty of foreign trips one assumes.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think Honda would've cared less. They weren't interested when I asked them about my fuel pump before it expired. I had a lovely letter from them saying there was NO problem with any AT fuel pumps. This was before my two failed pumps of course, which I only imagined. Still at least I know what to watch for on my next AT which will have to be a 2nd hand one. I'm going to keep the old one and pinch bits off it as needed. Still that'll be a while yet as I'm very poor.(ahhhh)

Most miles done on the daily commute to work. 100 mile round trip 5 days a week soon add up. A few trips abroad, Brittany, Normandy and Morocco. Strangely this bike and the previous RD04 were more suited to cheap high mileage than my FJ1200s. Also more comfy due to my strange shape.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
One thing I picked up is that you've used the same number of front and rear tyres whereas I use 2 rears for each front.
How long do your rears last?
Mine do roughly 6K, with the front doing 12K.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fronts have lasted between 11,000 and 14,000. Rears have varied between 9,000 and 13,000 miles. I fit them myself and don't balance them at all. The fronts wear in that odd way peculiar to all trail bikes, where the outer tread goes before the centre. It happens on all my mates ATs and transalps as well as my DR350.

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Excellent stats, but please let us in on how you get 12,000 miles from a rear tyre ?

Or are you just 'limp wristed' :wink:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Limp wristed????? Give us a kiss and I'll tell you!

I don't consider myself a slow, gentle rider (14 years of commuting on the A13 and in London knocks that out of you) but I like to look well ahead which cuts out a lot of panic braking (not all) which I imagine contributes to high wear. I also ride all year so maybe the cold weather makes tyres wear less quickly. Finally I am a bit of a tyre pressure freak and I check them everyday. But mostly I put it down to good clean healthy living and a cold dip in the birdbath each morning.

By the way I once got 19,000 miles out of a TW101 front but that was unusual. Maybe the streets of east London are so crap that my tyres are hardly ever on the tarmac anyway.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, but only cos I get good mileage and like them in the wet. After the 80mph puncture I was also impressed with the fact that I could slow down safely with the rear tyre still on the rim (chasing my mate on his GSXR11 through brain dead motorway traffic all dong the same speed in all the lanes, bring back hanging). Plus the same tyre went on afterward to do a decent mileage. I've also ridden a front flat without it leaving the rim when it deflated on the Dunmow bypass with nowhere to stop or get off the carriageway.

On my old AT I used to use Bridgestone TW41/42s. They were my favourite and were very cheap but I don't seem to be able to get them anymore. I also liked T66s but again, they seem hard to get hold of when I'm in the market for a tyre, which is every 5 months.

If it makes you feel better my Michelin Desert front tyre was shagged after 3,000 miles resulting in a bumpy ride as you plonked from central knob to central knob. Made me quite sea sick.....

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
What is the standard tyre pressures for the AT front and back with and without pillion?

I am sure my tyres are the incorrect pressures as the bike tends to wander a bit lately.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had my camchains changed at 70,000 miles to cure an annoying noise that had started. The old chains were still well within service limits and the original tensioner/blades were reused. The bloke let me pitch in and at one point slapped the camshafts into my sticky hands. They too were like new. Now no laughing but the noise turned out to be the front cylinder spark plug slowly unscrewing. I never overtighten them because it would be a real pig to sort. The noise source was confused by the waterproof plug cap. I traced it two days before visiting Galea Camchains but thought what the hell, I'll get them done anyway. Brilliant bloke, used him a couple of times over the years for camchains on various bikes.

I run 29psi front and back, 33psi in the back when I know I'm going somewhere two up with luggage.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi Yen,

you must be happy with the saddle then :) How would you describe the condition of the bike apart from corrosion? Does the engine still sound sweet and do you ever have to top up the oil?

Do you remember what was the mileage when your regulator went south? My 98 has just under 30 K on clock but planning a long trip this summer and am pondering should I carry a spare or not. I thought some weeks ago mine was goner as well but luckily it was just the connector from generator.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Top o' the mornin Samih,

Regulator packed up at 65,000 miles. Being a bit dense I bought a new battery without checking the regulator unit 1st.

I always think every engine of mine sounds rattly, but all my mates say it sounds fine. Spent three hours in central London yesterday two up with the fan nearly always on, followed by 25 miles of motorway and didn't miss a beat. It does use oil, but has done so from new with no increase with extra mileage. I find it uses none for ages after an oil change, then 1-2mm from the top of the dip stick per day (100 miles)after about 2,000 miles from oilchange(I change oil every 5,000 miles). It only seems to happen when I go on the motorway and the revs are above 6,000 rpm(80-90mph). Got no smoke so I've always assumed it's vented as part of the crankcase breather system.

The seat hurts eventually. I have got one of those Touratech single seat jobbies which I sometimes use for long journeys. It is wider which makes it a lot more comfy, although strangely it is actually rock hard to the touch. I tend not to use it in normal everyday use as I find I feel every lump/bump and pothole go right through me and it is significantly lower to the ground which I don't like.

The bikes general condition is pretty good bar the dirt and the wheel rims. Fuel consumption remains about 50mpg. Although I mentioned the fan earlier, in general it only comes on about once a year. It starts really well, goes really well and stops pretty well. Things overdue are a new exhaust to replace the nearly dead orginal, front caliper seal renewal, rear master cylinder rebuild (bit grindy at the moment, got the bits just gotta get the energy up)and a regrease of the suspension linkages.

Ian

·
Registered
288 Posts
Talking about density: I replaced my battery as well when I experienced an energy crisis in it after those melted generator connectors.

At least I have a spare now, just have to keep it well charged with frequent top-ups.

Yeah, I have noticed the same oil-consumption pattern on my bike on some oils. It got cured with some Castrol GTX Magnatec car oil. The level has stayed the same for past 2500 miles now, whereas I had to top up using Shell Advance VSX bike oil well before that. Go figure. The clutch feels ok, if slightly softer with the GTX, but no slipping so recommended. The gears work best ever with it as well.

Those AT cooling fans don't normally get that much excercise. I'm sometimes worried that mine's going to seize with no use.

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
A propos oil, I've heard that thicker oil helps with the Honda V's - something like a 15 or 20w/40. Does anyone know anything about this or have any experiences? I have to do an oil change every month and I like to use the best oil I can get for a reasonable price (so not often fully synthetic!).

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been using Castrol GPS semi synthetic from Halfords. It's just expensive enough to make me feel like I'm looking after my engine and being in Halfords saves me having to go to my local shop and dicing with a particular parts man who is deaf, stupid and only seems to have 4 litres of oil in 1 litre bottles or none at all except the flash stuff they're pushng this week. Mind you Halfords rivalled him when I went to try and buy a car numberplate after the recent rule changes. One and a half hours of extreme patience before throwing the number plate back at the cash desk and saying I didn't want it now after he wanted yet another bit of paper just so I could pay for it. He changed his mind and just took the money.

Oh yes and the one in Stepney Green were rather good when I needed a bike plate...."Front or back mate?"

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thank you Electric_monk. I inquiried about that Mountjoy Cycles part earlier, and they are only around 100 EUR. If it is the OEM it's a steal.

I have about 4000/5000 miles to do in a months time so it might be a good idea to carry a spare.

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Yen, just out of interest, have you ever enquired at a dealership how much the AT would be worth on a trade-in with that sort of mileage.

:roll: or would you be laughed out of the shop

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But it's only showing 400 miles guv. I only used it to ferry the vicar about his parish on sunny afternoons.

I might pop in and ask though. Darn, where are my colour matched leathers and black and deckered knee sliders?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts