Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
coming back from a 500km trip I apparently managed to run the oil-level of my Rd07a below the dipstick. Oil pressure light did not light up, though. Although I don't really believe that this caused damage, any comforting words from knowledgeable folks would be appreciated ;-)

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
As long as oil pressure was maintained, you should get away with running below the dipstick. Ultimately, it depends how low it got as the remaining oil will have been given a really hard time. I'd give it an oil change and see how it goes from there.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I ran my CBR600 off the bottom of the window after thrashing up the A1 one night 104 miles in 55 minutes and mostly single carriageway. It took a couple of pints of oil when I got back but suffered no long term ill effects.

I'm sure you will be fine

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've run mine low twice now. Firstly I just didn't check the level. I can't recall how much it took, but enough to make me worried I'd caused damage. Second time was when I had a bad oil leak from off-road and there was one big hill between where I was and my house which I REALLY didn't want to push the alp up. She still runs lovely though. Does use oil but doesn't smoke- I think the oil level drops because she still leaks a bit from the off-road incident, but it's impossible to say.

Fill her up, and she'll almost certainly be fine. Firstly, it's a honda, secondly, it's in such a soft state of tune you'd have to work a lot harder than that to damage it!! (But do check regularly in future!!)

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. What really ticks me off is that I´m somewhat meticulous about checking the oil and I would never have expected that this would happen to me. I topped her off and she´s running fine; oil change is up over the weekend.

Thanks again,
Chris

·
Registered
341 Posts
Last year I ran my queen a little low on oil on a 2000km trip (1240 miles). I could literally feel how she became a little harsh on the clutch and more noisy when changing gear. She became good as new as soon as I topped up with a bottle of premium oil (1 litre/2 pints) and I finished the season with no problems. I did an oil+filter change earlier this spring, and the oil looked quite good despite all the hardship. Installed a new sump plug with neodymium magnet as well this time.

As I told myself; don't worry, and don't do it again :)

Edit: also, I think it's better to slightly overfill on these bikes anyway?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts