Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... for Africa Twin

Hi,

I have the opportunity to buy a used Africa Twin Year 2000, but due to to being short of stature 5'6" and wanting to have a safe grip with both feet on the ground my question is

¿ What is the lowest possible height of the seat and still have a comfortable ride as I am going to use the bike only for Road and not Enduro ?

¿ Does somebody make a good lower seat for the AT ?

Thanks for any info so I know if I can venture and buy it or not :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
....well I'm as vertically challenged as you and have the same issues with the AT. I've dropped the forks thru the yokes about 2" which helps, this quickens the steering which isn't a bad thing. I've also bought a corbin seat off here which is an inch or 2 lower than standard.

I'm now def closer to terra firma when on the bike but really can only get the ball of one foot on the ground at any time. I don't think that at 5' 6" you'll manage to lower the AT enough to get both feet planted on the ground.

There are some adjustments or mods u can do to the rear shock which also lowers things a bit. I haven't done these but I've learned to plan where I park the AT (not on an adverse camber) and practice turns etc. at low speed

:thumbup:

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Tony Archer is good for lowering the seat, he is in the recommended dealers section.

He lowered my seat and put a gel pad in. :thumb:

I also have my forks dropped through 20mm, the bike handles fine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Like you I am vertically challenged, in fact the same height but with fairly short legs. I too have a 2000 RD07a and have solved the problem by fitting an already reupholstered and lowered seat which I aquired from a member of this forum (Chad). Whilst this meant I could get both feet on terra firma the ride position was not comfortable.

I then fitted SW Motech bar risers which took the bars up 30mm and back 25mm. Result, when two feet are off the ground (on the pegs) perfect, perfect, perfect. All for about £50.

I would certainly recommend re upholstering your seat, it's probably the most cost effective option.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Another option as well as the above, would be to have extra thick soles and heels put on your riding boots.

It'll al help.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
i sometimes ride in my stout walking boots.. amazing how much difference there is compared to my Dianese, there is a guy who cuts and welds the suspension linkage arms, my friend prefers to machine a pair up from toughend steel bar, cheap & simple enough job. using centre-centre shortened by 5-10mm reduces seat height by a considerable amount, there is a thread /post somewhere on the site, good luck

found this.. ( at lowering kit ) by scarfacehugo 31/5/09

I took the linkage rods from the rear suspension and added one extra cm, that causes the seat to come down something like 2 cms. This does not affect the suspension travel or the spring stiffness.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3308883904/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Everybody,

Thanks a lot for your answers and solutions. I have taken the decision not to buy it as there nearly no Honda Africa Twin in Mexico and therefor possible problems in getting spare parts.

I have a Honda XR 250 Tornado year 2008 which is a Latin american model of Honda and even for that one I have trouble finding spare parts :mad:

Yesterday I wanted to get some screws M6x10 and NOT avfailable. Last year I bought a clutch lever in good faith thinking it was the correct one. Yesterday I wanted to install it and it was a wrong one. Today I went to the official Honda dealer and guess what, NOT available !

As you see even for very new motorcylces nodels nearly nothing available. At least I got my money back :thumbright:

---------------------------------------------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts