Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to get the Project Kwacker towards an MOT and one of the issues that has arisen is a "sticky" front brake with the new pads remaining a mite too friendly with the disc.

I stripped the pads out and found the previous owner who has done most of the real work already :) had lubed the slide pins with bog standard grease and the whole thing was glooped up. I cleaned up the pins and the socket in the main assembly with brake cleaner but I was not able to get any pukka slider grease from the local auto supplies shop today. Years ago, when I last did this job on a bike, we used to use Copaslip, is it OK to use on more modern machines on the slick-coated slider pins?

G

·
Yep, though I tend to use silicone grease, it's just as heat resistant as copper grease but more slippy, a PTFE grease works great as well

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, though I tend to use silicone grease, it's just as heat resistant as copper grease but more slippy, a PTFE grease works great as well
Thanks Kymmy, I'll pop it together in the morning and see how it all feels, it cannot be worse than it was!! :)

Just the oil feed to sort out after a proper run and then MOT time and then Wales....

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
If you've got a decent motor factors locally, they sell RED GREASE which is used for the slider pins and is compatible with the rubber boots.

The red grease I've bought recently came in small "ketchup style" sachets rather than a tube or tub they used to sell it in.

Bob :thumbup:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you've got a decent motor factors locally, they sell RED GREASE which is used for the slider pins and is compatible with the rubber boots.

The red grease I've bought recently came in small "ketchup style" sachets rather than a tube or tub they used to sell it in.

Bob :thumbup:
That was what I was trying to get from the factors, but they said they sold so little in the tubs, they didn't stock it!

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Mmmm, not a big fan of coppa-slip in this application - it tends to dry out a bit and 'ball' up leaving dry areas and thus wear/corrosion sets in. I much prefer normal LM type grease changed pretty regularly but No1 choice is the red stuff if you can get it.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Mmmm, not a big fan of coppa-slip in this application - it tends to dry out a bit and 'ball' up leaving dry areas and thus wear/corrosion sets in. I much prefer normal LM type grease changed pretty regularly but No1 choice is the red stuff if you can get it.
Would your choice be due to the fact that you have ample supplies of the stuff like me from our employers?

·
Hill Rider
3,112 Posts
Like Kymmy, I use silicone grease on any areas that come into contact with rubber seals.
The pins get copperslipped, as do the back of the pads, plus the pad tensioning spring thing that sits under / over the pads to help keep them from rattling.

Just my ramblings . . . . . shuffling off now :rolleyes:

Steve T

:cool:

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
Like Kymmy, I use silicone grease on any areas that come into contact with rubber seals.
The pins get copperslipped, as do the back of the pads, plus the pad tensioning spring thing that sits under / over the pads to help keep them from rattling.

Steve T

I concur.. steve t

I did exactly what you describe when servicing my brakes last time, still working a treat.. thanks for the info last time...

I could not find silicon grease in the shop here, so bought from seller on fleabay

G

·

Steve T

Errr, you havn't been borrowing it from the airframe techs have you?? Used to be my favorite place to get some :):):)

Talking though about copperslip use the spray and not the grease as it goes on thinner, is more slippy and less likely to go gloopy as it's the carrier for the copper that hardens

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just putted drive shaft (with molybden) grease in to mine.

Just happened to be near when needed :rolleyes:
i should have silicon based somewhere, I use it for caliber pistons.

·
Hill Rider
3,112 Posts
Errr, you havn't been borrowing it from the airframe techs have you?? Used to be my favorite place to get some :):):)
Might have . . . . . might just be a life ex pot that was being chucked out - maybe :rolleyes:
Talking though about copperslip use the spray and not the grease as it goes on thinner, is more slippy and less likely to go gloopy as it's the carrier for the copper that hardens
I thin copperslip down with some WD40 if I need a thinner coating (Kymmy - PX24 does the same job :rolleyes: :D)

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
It's worth watching which you use, as GP/LM grease seems to make the rubber boots expand. Once that happens the boots won't fit the grooves, leading to dirt getting in and, eventually, corrosion and seizing. I just use red rubber grease now.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll try and get some red grease I reckon, as it looks as if I will have to strip the brakes on a regular basis according to a mate who used to off-road a KMX200. The 125 like I owned was a different setup, i gather.

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Would your choice be due to the fact that you have ample supplies of the stuff like me from our employers?
A'hem, errr, yes, but due to my recent 'retirement' my supply is running out so any donations are welcome. I've still got a natty Loctite deonstrator tube of copperslip in a pritt-stick type stick applicator - it really is just a copperslip pritt-stick - its so fantastic I haven't had the heart to use it yet! :p

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've still got a natty Loctite deonstrator tube of copperslip in a pritt-stick type stick applicator - it really is just a copperslip pritt-stick - its so fantastic I haven't had the heart to use it yet! :p
Are you sure it doesn't say Avon on the outside, it sounds more like lip gloss to me! :)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts

Does the brand matter? For example, should I insist on Castrol, or will Heinz do just as well?
:joker:

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Are you sure it doesn't say Avon on the outside, it sounds more like lip gloss to me! :)
Nope, here it is below in all its un-used pritt-stick-like-copperslip glory......

How cool is that?!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts