Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to fit a top box to the AT - can I bolt it to the standard rack on the AT? I know the weight limit is 10kg's on my RD04 but I can't be hassled to get a pannier/topbox rack etc. If I used the 4 bolts with some longer bolts and washers to mount it would that be safe/sound etc. Only really for carrying waterproofs/packed lunch and helmet/gloves when not riding.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Usually you buy a top box with a mounting plate - that is what I have. You simple bolt the plate onto your rack and then the top box clicks onto the plate making it easy to take off etc.

I have a largish Givi box and it works well. You need to make sure the box and the plate are matched - they are bought as a set . You can get a small box and plate for ad little as £25.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi,

A Givi E45 Monokey will fit x2 full face lids with waterproofs stuffed inside them, plus a sandwich....not too much room left. The E36 may also at a squeeze, but I'd go for the E45 as it has an extra inch in height. Givi Maxia is huge.

Like Angelo I recommend adaptor plate as it's handy to be able to remove the box and saves drilling holes in it too.

Monokey is better than Monolock.

·
Very Enthusiastic Member
391 Posts
Nothing mounts to the original rack (unless you make it mount). But you can get a honda rack (exacly the same as the original rack but with mounting holes in it) and a matching topbox (Givi 45lt standard thing E45 I think with a Honda sticker)

Try part numbers
08L55 MY5 800 and 08L42 MY5 C00

I bought these two and it cost £95 - £100 delivered.

Cheers
Oli

·
2,701 Posts
I want to fit a top box to the AT - can I bolt it to the standard rack on the AT? I know the weight limit is 10kg's on my RD04 but I can't be hassled to get a pannier/topbox rack etc. If I used the 4 bolts with some longer bolts and washers to mount it would that be safe/sound etc. Only really for carrying waterproofs/packed lunch and helmet/gloves when not riding.
Thats what i would do. :thumb:

I bolt a big ali plate to mine when off camping and strap a 120 litre bag with all the camping gear in it to the plate. . . . . so i think a box for waterproofs etc should be ok. :D

edit
the plate is on my rd07a
this is on my rd04

this is what it carries :D

so i think you are pretty safe with a top box. :thumbleft:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Totally agree that it would be fine, the box box I have is an old ammo box, thing wieghs a ton before I put anything in it and it's usually overloaded. I have four holes in the bottom of the box that bolt straight through and into a plate below the rack sandwiching the rack inbetween. That rack takes a lot more than 10kg :thumbright:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi got a honda plate that bolts staight on to my rd07a ,it takes honda top boxes which are quick release 45 ltr ,which is not needed any more as some little toerag nicked the box while i was in halfords , so i now have a new honda box that came with another plate, and honda boxes are available on ebay all standard fitting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts