Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi GUYS

I'm looking for side panniers or luggage for my 96 600 T/A

I already have a Givi Top box and just want the sides but after looking on the net my eyes are sore!:(

I'm not fond of the box bmw/alluminium type anyone got reccomendations?

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi GUYS

I'm looking for side panniers or luggage for my 96 600 T/A

I already have a Givi Top box and just want the sides but after looking on the net my eyes are sore!:(

I'm not fond of the box bmw/alluminium type anyone got anything for sale or reccomendations?

Cheers

Tom
You have got the plastic option, never did care for the appearance of the boxes myself although I bet they are the most expensive and supposedly best. And I don't like topbox/airofoil stuff although they have got to be handy, would rather just pile stuff on the rack in a waterproof bag.
If you want to be cheap like me make your own frames to carry soft panniers.

Tom if you can get two soft panniers the size of your avatar you won't need a top box ;)

Chris

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They should bounce up and down as an avatar but they dont!

I like the plastic/ABS side panniers, going to go on a wee tour soon which I've never done on a bike so want something decent, building my own is out as no time and cant be arsed :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you don't need stupidly large luggage, I'd recommend the Givi E21 panniers. They are top-loading and use the same Monokey frames as larger Givi. They are also very cheap - paid less than £100 for a pair.

I've got them on my 650V4 if you want me to post some photos later.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If they are for occasional use I would consider the Givi soft pannier racks (model T221) they are only around £50 and don't stand out too much when not in use. Then you have a greater choice of soft luggage, which is cheaper but still good quality. I use bagster cruise bags, but ortlieb make some excellent 100% waterproof bags and Givi make some nice ones too - to name a few.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They look alright, the mounting kit is £89 and panniers are about £120 which is ok, but now I'm like the idea of the soft luggage appeals because i could carry it about.

Aaaaarrrgghhh

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use the Givi E21 panniers. They're quite slim and don't hinder you when filtering through traffic. (hence I leave them on all the time). Even though they're only 21 litres each, I can get a weekends clothing in to just one of them, (socks, undies, shoes, 2 pairs jeans, 2 shirts, wash kit and towel).
They're cheap enough, (sub £100 new if you shop around), cheaper 2nd hand. They're simple, pretty sturdy and waterproof.

I tried the soft luggage option, but I found it's a pain in the a**e putting it on and taking it off all the time.

The E21's are easy to put on and take off and easy to carry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
On the soft luggage front here is an option that you could consider, but it only works if riding solo.

Firstly you need a top box which you already have.

You then fit an Oxford sports tail pack on the passenger seat. Once this is full of cloths you can strap a tent/camping gear on top using the top box as additional support/bracing. The tail pack straps will hold the camping gear in place.

The best bit about this set up is that you can lean back against the tailpack luggage, and it feels like you are riding along on a big comfy armchair. The other advantage is that you have not increased the width of your bike.

I think a tail pack is only around £60 -70.

I also have a small magnetic tank bag for bits and pieces that need to be easily accessed/quickly removed ......particularly handy if staying on an overnight ferry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts