Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Should this go in bodger corner??

Coming home from work a few weeks ago on my recently purchased Africa Twin I was aware of a kind of graunchy whooshing noise coming from the front of the bike. On closer inspection the the RH disc was out of true by around 3-4mm causing the brake calliper to move all over the place.

A bit strange as this side had a newly fitted disc! On taking the disc off and getting the dial gauge out it was apparent some of the disc mounting lugs on the hub were out by up to 0.05mm

I considered shimming out the low lugs but wasn't too happy with having shims between the disc and mount just in case they reduced any friction between them maybe causing more stress on the disc mounting bolts.

So IMO the best solution would be to get the hub machined on a lathe. However I have just paid for a new rim to be laced on with stainless spokes so didn't want to pay for all that work again I needed a lathe that could accommodate a 21" wheel...........or.........

My father had the idea of taking the cutting tool and carriage (not too sure of the proper name) off his lathe and mounting it on the fork stanchion basically turning the front end of the bike into a lathe.

Worth a try.

And it worked! OK it did take quite a few evenings fabrication up the bracket, finding the best position for the tool etc.

The most critical piece of the setting up was to ensure the tool would traverse exactly parallel to the wheel so the disc mounting lugs would be true, luckily I had the wheel off my TA which I used to set up the cutting tool on, then just swapped out it for the AT wheel.

So far all seems well, although I've still got another strange noise coming from the front end!

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Nice bodge. Make the bike into the lathe. :)

Now, you say that side had a newly fitted disc. Both discs should be replaced as a matched pair. If, in the past, only one has been replaced it points to there having been an underlying problem of some sort. I wouldn't have thought that a 0.05 mm difference in mounting face height is going to cause a 3 or 4mm warping. Heat could be a more likely culprit.

Make sure the caliper isn't sticking on the sliding mount causing the disc to overheat. Both the front discs on the project bike were totally twisted where sticking caliper sliders had caused just one side of each disc to overheat. They were a really interesting shape. If the pistons are sticky causing the brakes to drag, that'll quickly roast the discs too. Dirt in the master cylinder can also cause issues with calipers not releasing correctly.

That wheel looks superb. Who did it and how much?

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice bodge. Make the bike into the lathe. :)

Now, you say that side had a newly fitted disc. Both discs should be replaced as a matched pair. If, in the past, only one has been replaced it points to there having been an underlying problem of some sort. I wouldn't have thought that a 0.05 mm difference in mounting face height is going to cause a 3 or 4mm warping. Heat could be a more likely culprit.

Make sure the caliper isn't sticking on the sliding mount causing the disc to overheat. Both the front discs on the project bike were totally twisted where sticking caliper sliders had caused just one side of each disc to overheat. They were a really interesting shape. If the pistons are sticky causing the brakes to drag, that'll quickly roast the discs too. Dirt in the master cylinder can also cause issues with calipers not releasing correctly.

That wheel looks superb. Who did it and how much?
The original rim had been damaged in Africa and "de-squared" out there too, I wondered if the mounting lugs had been damaged during this process? I will be checking the callipers this weekend though.

I used http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/ for the rim and tyre. I was going to use Hagon but they didn't have any 21" rims in stock and didn't know when they were due any. I think it came to around £180 inc. delivery and stainless spokes. Hagon and Central Wheels use the same alloy rims.

Interestingly the guy at Hagon didn't hold the OEM DID rims in high regard at all!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts