Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No I'm not talking eccentric Clergy, I was pootling through a residential area on my way home today at about 30mph and in 3 or 4th maybe, on a flat bit it no throttle action by me, the rev needle went potty, and shot about all over the place, it was around 3.5k before and was shooting upto 8K, no noticible change in engine noise and no lurching that you would expect if I was giving it a wristful.
It settled a little but I was only around a corner and down a hill from where i was going anyway.
Background is it has been bogging between 3-6K in any spped/ gear and so you need patience, I've put some FST fuel additive to help clean up grubby carb deposits (did that about 30 miles ago) I even made sure I followed the instructions:happy6:

I'ts happy below 3K (not much use, as the old girl needs a bit to shift her) and 6k+ which is about 80mph:p just that bit in the middle, and any idea what that rev flip out is about?

I'm just a little worried when the needle dabbles with the red end of the dial, as this is new. (She is my T400 Tiger, just know I'd get more views and advice in this general section)

Help welcome:toothy2:

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
if there's no percebtible change in engine noise or vibration then I would suggest it's an electrical problem, I'm presuming the speedo is electrically driven from... alternator?

trace the wiring & check connections. check your earths too.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
i had this on an nsr125 it was caused by water in the alternator area, where there is a sensor fitted too the end of the crank shaft. the sensor replaces the points,on most bikes this sensor feeds the rev counter and the electronic ignition thingy (god can't remember what its called).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not sure what bike your talking about, or even if it is a Honda. However, I used to have a Yam XJR1300, and Yam used the Tacho needle as a fault diagnostic indicator/ reader. The idea was that the needle swing wildly around the dial several times, as you describe, and you noted what revs the needle pointed to each time, and how often in each sequence. This combination was the fault code, which you could then look up in the manual. Not sure if some Honda's do the same?

Of course, it could be that, or else it could be a completely random and intermittent electrical gremlin! bad connection or bad earth would be the usual suspects in this case.

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, I had a good nose around yesturday afternoon and looked, pushed and cleaned connectors as I found them :) as I already had the tank off, so will try it again this afternoon when the tanks dried (and then refuelled).
Curzon, I don't think my old Triumph is as advanced as you suggest (would be nice though)
Thanks all, I post when fixed (or developments)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts