Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....... I made it all muddy!

I left the WR426F in the garage and took the Africa Twin out to check out some trails.... Suprisingly capable even on road tyres! The lane was a LOT wetter and boggier than I was expecting :lol: road tyres aren't ideal especially on a big old africa twin but it handled it fairly well just had to watch the front end :lol:

Who needs a side stand?

Some deep puddles! One of them was deeper than the wheel and as there was loads of cyclists/kids I gave it some throttle and dissapeared under a wet muddy tidal wave :lol:

Did I mention that you need to watch the front end? Front end seemed to go walkabouts in a rather slippery section, cue me doing a superman over the front :lol:

I don't know what all the worry about picking up is, maybe my years of stunt riding and learning to pick the CBR up helped me but the AT is a doddle to lift up.

Now it's all muddy, looks much better! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
14 Posts
That lane photo terrifies me! I've only ever ridden on tarmac! I'm well impressed!

How on earth did you pick it up in that mud? I've always struggled to pick even light bikes up, but I would at least need a firm footing to start with. I've read that you should put your bum against the saddle, grab the bars and under saddle and push with your thighs, but I've never tried it, please divulge your technique, I will be forever grateful!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How on earth did you pick it up in that mud? I've always struggled to pick even light bikes up, but I would at least need a firm footing to start with. I've read that you should put your bum against the saddle, grab the bars and under saddle and push with your thighs, but I've never tried it, please divulge your technique, I will be forever grateful!
I don't know to be honest... I'm not particularily strong so it's not sheer strength, I don't have a technique, I just grab the left bar with my left hand and grab the pillion handle on the left with my right hand then just lift it up.

I used to do stunt riding on a CBR600 fsport.. obviously I dropped it a lot and had to pick it up a lot so I can only assume that I don't struggle with the AT because I'm "used to picking up fallen bikes" :D

I'm sure I'd struggle when completely knackered though... I'd imagine it'd be easier to pick up with panniers, it'll be heavier but it'll be about a foot of the ground ont he panniers so less distance to pick up I'd imagine. Will probably find out some day haha.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Get some TKC's on and you'll have a ball :thumbup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get some TKC's on and you'll have a ball :thumbup:
I will probably take some TKC80s if/when I do a europe on/off road trip.. but for over here I've got a Yamaha WR426F for the muddy stuff so not tooo bothered about putting knobbilies on the AT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts