Honda XRV Forum banner
4K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  ©-© 
#1 · (Edited)
Today, two-and-a-half hours into my participation in the Madonna tal-Grazi motorcycle pilgrimage procession, fun&games were cut short by the Transalp's clutch suddenly ceasing to function, just as we were about to set off en masse to the finale in Zabbar … clunk-stall … Thistles.
At first I thought it was just the clutch cable letting go ... but no, cable intact and pulling the clutch casing outer clutch lever ... double thistles.

Oh, woe ... stalled and stationary, as they pass by.

Managed to ride the TA home, using gentle clutchless gear changing.

At least I was back in front of the telly in time to see the Missano MotoGP.

Any of the forum Knowledgeable Ones care to express an opinion as to the likely cause of this frustrating clutch-bust ...

(Twenty-four hours later, in the clear light of Monday ...
After a deal of close examination and some prodding, poking and pulling, the final few strands of wire parted ... revealing that the cable had almost completely snapped, out of sight, up inside the lower end of the clutch-cable sleeve.

Now, where's that spare ?)

09:45 - 15/9/13

Mosta assembly point.

See less See more
1 2
#15 · (Edited)
TA Clutch-cable Threading, in Ten easy steps.

Earlier, in this Madonna - Sudden clutch failure ! post, I whinged on about the ill-timed snapping of my 650 TA clutch-cable.

Recently, replacement TA clutch-cable in hand, I pondered the method of least fuss and bother (read avoid tedious fairing removal) clutch-cable replacement.

Now, please forgive me if the following method is so familiar old hat, common knowledge, to you assembled Transalpians … but, at the time the idea plopped into my conscious mind, It seemed like some sort of divine intervention to me, Our Lady of Graces doing me a motorcycle maintenance favour, in a sorta recompense for me missing out on the climatic finale, the Blessing of all two-wheeled participants in the 2013 Pellegrinagg Madonna tal-Grazzja.

Ahem …

Please refer to the accompanying illustration.

1: Remove old, busted inner, wire clutch-cable from its correctly routed old cable sleeve.

2: Thread a thin stout wire through the correctly routed old clutch-cable cable sleeve that remains in place beneath layers of TA.

3: Firmly attach stout orange line to the lower end of the thin stout wire.

4: Remove correctly routed old clutch-cable sleeve by tugging it firmly up and away at the top end.

5: If all is well, the thin stout wire should now remain exactly where the correctly routed old clutch-cable sleeve used to be.

6: Firmly attach the top end of the entire replacement clutch-cable to the lower, free end, of the stout orange line.

7: Pull the thin stout wire upward, drawing the stout orange line behind it, which in turn will (fingers crossed) be pulling the replacement clutch-cable into exactly the right routing place … !

8: Attach replacement clutch-cable top and bottom to TA … adjust to suit.

9: Happily ride away for a pleasant jaunt aboard the Transalp.

10: Grazi Hafna Madonna !

891:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.