Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just read a very old post about the use of magnetic sump plugs. May I offer a word of warning, Perhaps there are certain varieties that are better but in my experience they are far too weak. I know a couple of guys who managed to sheer them while installing. I did the same helping a friend service his bike. I was just using a short open ended spanner to wind it in up to the washer and it sheered. The amount of metal left when the centres are drilled to insert the magnet was about 1mm!! I was very lucky in that I was eventually able to use a punch and hammer to tease what was effectively a helicoil of thin brass out. Utter s**t!!

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just did a service on my RD07A last week and replaced the sump plug with a magnetic one just as in your
picture above. Because I'm a bit heavy handed I was being extra cautious luckily. I got the impression that
the sump plug still had a bit to go, but I noticed the compression washer was compressed. It didn't seem to
tighten up as firmly as the old sump plug somehow. I think next service I'll replace with an OEM plug again.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I have seen them advertised but I would only consider them a worry plug . im the sort of ould crater now that if opened the plug out at oil change time and I saw metal stuck to it id think me engine was ****ed and id have a break down and have to go back into the mental hospital , and im ****ed if im going back into that place there is nothing only a mad shower of ***** in there :laughing6:

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
I have seen them advertised but I would only consider them a worry plug . im the sort of ould crater now that if opened the plug out at oil change time and I saw metal stuck to it id think me engine was ****ed and id have a break down and have to go back into the mental hospital , and im ****ed if im going back into that place there is nothing only a mad shower of ***** in there :laughing6:
Been on the beer again sunshine :)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Been on the beer again sunshine :)

only a small drop tonight but im on a right buzz after going for 116 km spin on the bike today I wasn't out since 27th November when I got a real bad head cold and I got another one in between times . today I decided it was a grand mild dry day so off I went with my sun glasses on I had to stop after a couple of miles and chang to clear lens it was raining cats and dogs nearly every mile of the road my feet and gloves were ringing wet when I got home but it done the trick im in great form after it :thumbright:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Small update : Noticed a smudge of oil under my bike today, closer investigation showed it was an occasional drip from my new magnetic sump plug.
Got a spanner out to give it a 1/4 turn to tighten it up (thinking maybe compression washer had given a little). Fookin thing got more loose. Rather than
risk big problems, laid the bike on its right side, whipped out the new sump plug and replaced with the oem and new compression washer. The OEM
seemed to tighten up ok and no oil dripping anymore. Whats worrying though is theres a helicoil around the threads of the magnetic sump plug, I hope thats
not out of the engine casing :(

·
Registered
335 Posts
Agree ...utter poop ! Just finished a 24k km service, and the oil was last on the list. I didn't realise that the previous "alloy" sump plug washer was stuck to the casing. Screwed in the magnetic sum plug + new washer and it never really bit ... just spat out a couple of aluminium coils. My bloody heart stopped ! Trying desperately now to find the original plug :angry4:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts