Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any tips tricks pitfalls shortcuts ect on the maintainance of the AT.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Err Yeh let the local garage do it?
Heh...

Seriously though because of the lack of time that I have I tend to let my local place do it. They do a very good job, although I do pay an arm and a leg for it!
Also I suppose because I rely on my bike I tend to leave it to the experts. When I had my Transalp though I stripped that down and did it all myself although I did take me over a year!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will not use Dealers, When I arrived home with my brand new AT, I found one of the plug leads hanging off, also the brake light was flashing on and off all the way home. [I had a friend go with me, to help overcome the "Shiney Bike Syndrome"] The first free service, was the first and last.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Well I think it depends on the dealer.
I've had a few crap experiences but then I don't go back. I tend to find the smaller local family run firms are the best.

Fowlers in Bristol (a big dealership) tried to rip me off big time with my broken AT. I must tell you all the story on that one sometime.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wonder if you can stay with your bike while a dealer works on it. Will they get angry if you tell your opinion while they are working ? Here in turkey most of the workers would be happy about a conversation while working on your bike-of course this must be limited- by the way you can check what is going on. :shock:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
I haven't got the time really.
But I've had a few problems where they've fixed it whilst I waited, and they were happy for me to chat to them whilst they worked. In these cases as well they haven't charged me.

There's a bloke I know who runs his own outfit in London, Dave Wilkins, where you can use his tools and expertise and pay less than if he were doing it all. He's a top bloke. You can buy your own parts and basically cut it which way you want.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would love to watch whilst my bike is been worked on, then I could be shure the job was right. All the work I do is stage inspected and stamped,
I wonder how many Dealers monkeys have City and Guilds........

·
Registered
23 Posts
What do you do for long term winter storage really...I read many storage stories from the owners of other bikes, however it is AT...well in fact it is a high milage (72K)one.
I'm not sure if I should empty the tank and spray some W(onder)D-40 for rust of course also empty the carbs.What if I fill the tank full?. Also do you think it is necessary to do the same in inside of cylinder after taking off the plug...I'm planning a three month storage in a private garage.
Spraying WD-40 to the chasis where prone to rust and all over the engine is also okey but what about the rubber parts? do you have any idea about the long term effect of this product on rubber?
Changing the oil and filter but a cheaper oil just for the storage time and put a good one before starting the season seems logical.
I think I will not be able to find that apparatus to keep the wheels off the ground since I do not also have a center stand I'm planning to visit the bike often and change the point that wheel touches the ground. The cost of this two device is around 300E here in turkey and no used ones!!! (and a low salary :oops: )
Any answers would greatly appreciated

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
u,y.sahin,

Do you realy have Winter in Turkey[ I meen the wet damp grey cold we have here in the U/K] Ride the AT all year, the only time not to ride is ice.

Take care :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
In ıstanbul there are;
too many hills+
diesel or oil spilled roads+
really bad winter with snow and ice occasionaly (sometimes you think it will never stop raining-but my home town antalya is at south coast mediterranian and a lovely winter)+
idiot drivers who do not obey simple traffic rules+
many busy surgeons (one of them is me!!)getting sick of treating,operating victims of traffic accidents(turkey is about number 3rd or 4th of world)
= winter storage

1 - 10 of 10 Posts