Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

i am in the process of making my CRF Road-legal. The bike is already registered and has a number plate...so i got myself a pro-racing lighting kit & speedo etc.

step 1: fix new tale section - brake light, numberplate light & holder

step 2 replace old odometer with new Speedo:

old:

and here with the new speedo fitted:

i than found out that my speedo drive on the front wheel is knackered - anyone got one spare or for sale????

next steps are the wiring loom and headlight switch and horn....which i will do tomorrow or later this week....and post here...

thats it for now.
to be continued...
thx Lars

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hi guys,

last night i did part 2....

the wiring loom is now in and the bike is running...

i still have to connect the "yellow & green" bit to somewhere behind the fuel switch...also the brake light switches are not yet done...and my horn is not yet working...but i will get there..
i will take some more pics tonight.

thx Lars

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi guys,

did the rear brake light switch etc today...all is working from the electics, even the tacho light! :)

took some pics with the tank off...a bit dusty but not looking too bad...i did also get some new tape on the wiring looms etc..

now just have to get the rear brake bleed again...as its gone spungy as i put the switch in...

here is the bike as its now

just need to fit now a new speedo drive - which i have already...
new tyres and the rear numberplate...not sure if i use double sided tape or velcro etc...i shall work something out...

thx Lars

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looking good Lars

is that a DRC rear light unit ? I need to replace my UFO one - tried an Acerbis LED unit but rear tyre made contact and mincemeat out of it

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking good Lars

is that a DRC rear light unit ? I need to replace my UFO one - tried an Acerbis LED unit but rear tyre made contact and mincemeat out of it
it from pro racing Daventry....cost not too much...cant remember exactly...
just received some new front & rear brake pads which i will put it soon and the new Michelin AC-10 tyres are here too...so once they are on i can have proper fun!

thx Lars

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
finally she is ready and taxed and sorted...put new brake pads in this morning as the old ones were totally knackered....

new tyres are in the garage waiting to be fitted but i could not wait so i took her for a little spin round some local lanes this morning...lovely and muddy.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Love it its lookin good:thumbup: Really would love one of these but I just cant help but think they wont survive road work between lanes without oil changes and valve checks every other week

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love it its lookin good:thumbup: Really would love one of these but I just cant help but think they wont survive road work between lanes without oil changes and valve checks every other week
being the 450x and not the R-model - the service interval is about 600mls between oil changes and valve clearance checks etc...
which means more work than a road bike but less than a full on racer or motocross bike...

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi guys,

the wiring loom is now in and the bike is running...

i still have to connect the "yellow & green" bit to somewhere behind the fuel switch...also the brake light switches are not yet done...and my horn is not yet working...but i will get there..

thx Lars
Do you have any more information about what you did with the wiring? I've already bought a horn & switchgear for my 250x but if you've already worked out how to wire everything in then this will save me a lot of time. I also want to add the brake light and main/dip headlight so that I can get a full MOT not just the 'daytime' one.

Many thanks,

Alex

·
sfx wheels
806 Posts
to wire in a brake light the easiest way is to get 2 brake light banjo bolts , its a banjo bolt thats also a switch , you just wire them into the brake light circuit , one for the front brake , one for the rear brake ,,,,,, easy job

images[2].jpg

lots of places sell em , motrax , demon tweeks , oro , etc etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Lars,
Thanks for this.
I have no problem with the switches etc.
You mention "the wiring loom is now in and the bike is running." - have you added to the original loom? Where have you taken power from etc? It is this wiring side of things I need to know more about.
Thanks,
Alex

·
sfx wheels
806 Posts
you need to buy a stator plate with a generator coil / lighting coil on it

avaiable from www.electrexworld.com in stoke row oxon , you will also need a voltage regulator , avaiable from the same place

then all else you really need is , a headlight , a tail light ( led universal acerbis one is the best un ) , a horn , and a switch unit that does the lot ( from ORO )
2 banjo bolt brake light switches , a fuse , and a good few yards of different coloured wires , and about 4 hours time

ooo and a load of zip ties , and some solder , soldering iron , and some more time

dont forget the speedo ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
6 Posts
I already have standard (always-on) headlight (single filament), LED taillight (no brake light) and trailtech speedo fitted.

I want to replace taillight with combo LED unit and fit a dual-filament headlight bulb (the plug is already wired for this). As I already have a battery for the electric start and lighting, and therefore have a charging coil for these, I'm hoping I won't need a new stator for higher output.

My query is more about where to hook all this up to on the wiring loom. There are a few spare plugs behind the headlight which are not shown on the wiring diagram which can be found here. This represents my current setup. Maybe I'll just have to get the meter out and start tracing ...

Ideally, I'd like to simply plug in to existing sockets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts