Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday went for a ride after work and pulled up besides the Solent to phone the wife put helmet on Right handle bars to use the phone then decide after 10 minutes I would go back home to find I couldn’t start the bike as much as I turned it over with the starter motor whizzing quite happily. I could was smell petrol so I presumed I’d flooded it so left it for 1/2 hour then tried again still wouldn’t work so called RAC to only end up arguing with the call operator saying she cant find Hamble on her map of locations. Eventually after finally getting though to her I was outside Hamble point marina even though she kept asking where it was (Put it in Google comes out first time?). I had already checked all the H/T leads and scratched my head several time so I decided to sit on the bike and wait for recovery. So put my helmet back on Right side handle bar to notice I had knocked the kill switch to off.:tool:

I felt really stupid so started the bike and left the area quietly after canceling RAC. So just goes to prove even blokes can have blonde moments…

·
Pirate Ginger Beard
121 Posts
Yep, Also done something similar on my xr250, switched the fuel off whilst visiting Torquay, forgot when I returned to the bike, got a few yards up the road and broke down, after a few sharp words with the bike realised I turned the fuel off. Never forgotten since :D:D:D:D:D

·
Varadero Explorer
237 Posts
Out on a bikesafe ride a few months ago and couldn't start the bike. Police rider with me had a look and couldn't see anything obvious, loads of other riders around and watching with interest. Just about to call the AA when a young lad on a scooter sidles up and points to the kill switch :rolleyes:

My red face matched his red scooter :D

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,034 Posts
I did the same when using handlebar muffs in the early 80s on my CX500, took me ages to work out why I'd conked out at speed. Those older Hondas would still spin over when the kill switch was activated, just didn't fire up. I didn't half feel a ****.

You often see born again riders swearing in petrol stations because they start their bikes then stall them as they put them into gear, over and over again. They come from a generation that didn't have to put up with sidestand cutout switches last time they rode.

L

·
0 Posts
I did the same when using handlebar muffs in the early 80s on my CX500, took me ages to work out why I'd conked out at speed. Those older Hondas would still spin over when the kill switch was activated, just didn't fire up. I didn't half feel a ****..
Oh gawd yeah, used to do that at least once a day when I couriered on my CX.

One thing I do like about most modern bikes though is that the kill switch doesn't just kill the coils voltage but actually connects via the interlock diode that prevents the Starter motor turning so it's easy to realise that you;ve activated it.

Kymmy

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
never done anything so stupid in my life..:angel7:

well .......

side stand incidents

fuel off...

kill switch...

replace dipstick...

no not me:rolleyes:

but to tell the web and his dog......

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
and it wasnt me that sat for ages on the bandit wondering why the start button would not work... then pulled in the clutch interlock....

no that was another idiot

·
Registered
209 Posts
We all ave 'em.
When I used to race, prepped the bike the week before, out comes the airfilter to wash it and in goes a rag to the carb entrance to stop any chuff from getting down. Clean air filter goes back on, removal of rag forgotten..:knob:Bike starts and then cuts out after a couple of seconds.:rolleyes:

Took me a good half hour to work that one out..

Wot a spanner..:D:D

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
so, why do bikes have kill switches? I use mine very ocassionally, just coz can I can mostly, but wouldn't miss it if I didn't have one!

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I fully understand. It was the Deptford monkey.
I was red-faced and puffing at the bottom of the hill recently explaining to someone that, honestly, because it is an old bike you do sometimes have to run it down the hill looking like you're trying to bump start it, just to make the ignition work.
Realistically, the reason it would not start (on ignition or bumping it) was the kill switch.
The Deptford monkey had broken into my garage and flipped the kill switch for laugh. I am sure I could hear him laughing at me from his vantage point in the trees.
The Deptford monkey does other annoying things too. If I have a few beers, he follows me home and after I fall asleep he sneaks into my bedroom, beats me round the head with a big stick and craps in my mouth - I always wake up feeling terrible.
I hate the Deptford monkey.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Deptford monkey does other annoying things too. If I have a few beers, he follows me home and after I fall asleep he sneaks into my bedroom, beats me round the head with a big stick and craps in my mouth - I always wake up feeling terrible.
I hate the Deptford monkey.
Hmm i think he must have a cousin that lives in Southampton then since similar things happen to me :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts