Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 368 Posts

·
2,701 Posts
airwolf your just the man the :cool:bike is being stored in a farm at the mo so we need to get it away from there to somewhere safe :thumbright: till i can pick it up

i'll ring yeti to get somthing sorted:cool:
If we have someone in the midlands/south midlands, could drop it there so its easier for Chad to get to.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
cheers Chris.:thumbup:

Thats only 40 miles from me , at the mo.:rolleyes:
It is a lot more than that from me so please give my Land End room-mate all my best. Tell him if needs any help getting over it I know a good counsellor. :D

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Ok just had a chat with chad?????He forwarded some Pics Yeti took of SteveC and his Bike
The real good news is the man still can smile:thumbup:

The not so good news is,that is his wrist:(:(

and his foot:shock::shock:

Now for the things i am sure we can fix,cause XRV is such a great forum:thumbup:
Steve's bike once it decided to stop:rolleyes:

This is apparently how far away he was from the road:(

and the good Farmer arriving to recover the Bike:thumbup:

now i am having to go to Sheffield tomorrow cause of Business so i thought i might pop in to see Steve(if they let me:rolleyes:)so anyone wanting to drop in a Card or Spare parts(for Bike:D) just pm me and maybe we can hook up before i go
p.s. i just would like to commend Yeti for taking Pic's of steve in Hospital and of the broken bike.:thumbup::thumbup:You know this site would be nothing without Pictures :D:D:D

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
thanks for posting the pics pete :thumbup:

ive just heard from steve he's just out of the opp on his hand and in full on space cowboy mode and enjoying the drugs:D

i shell call him and yeti to get things rollin on the bike front find out what ward he is in for visitor etc:thumbup:

watch this space we will bring this duckling home safe

·
chicken chaser
1,554 Posts
thanks for posting the pics pete :thumbup:

ive just heard from steve he's just out of the opp on his hand and in full on space cowboy mode and enjoying the drugs:D

i shell call him and yeti to get things rollin on the bike front find out what ward he is in for visitor etc:thumbup:

watch this space we will bring this duckling home safe
sorry to here about steve's off
glad he's ok..well if you can call a broken wrist ok
x-ray looks a bit nasty as does the @
how the fec did it happen,have we any info yet ?

airwolf,as i'm only up the road from you give me a shout if you need a hand

:(

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
hi guys
just got to this one.. very glad Steve is ok

hopefully the bars saved most of the bike but it look well beat up . a bit like Steve:confused:

give him my best

ray

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
Sorry to keep you all waiting!! .........again!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

I got distracted again and went the scenic route home from Airedale Hospital. It was with him in mind......honest!!

Pah !! just couldn't resist, given as I was in the neighbourhood n'all !!

Anyway here goes........:

We set off knowing the weather was going to be hit and miss, keeping the route flexible and open to change and shortcut, so firstly there was no pressure to make miles. With this in mind me were tootling along (actually more of a bimble!! I even thought I saw the reaper pass us on a skateboard we were going that slow!!). We stopped for an hour for breakfast before we had even covered 20 miles! :D

Because of the conditions on that stretch of road we were, and this is a positively and not diluted, doing 35-40mph. At the time of the accident I suspect we were barely topping 30mph.

For what ever reason (still unclear) Steve clipped the left hand bank or rain gully in a right hand bend in the road(not really sure as no good tyre track or contact point as it was heaving it down with rain.). This resulted in him spitting across to the right. Unfortunately as this happend the road crested into a slight left hand bend. At this point he departed the bike and they both sailed off the edge (right) of the road and down into the moorland marsh on similar trajectories!! :rolleyes:

It was the drop of about 5m that enabled them to both get so far away from the road. As they fell, the ground just kept falling away beneath them, so it took some time to land I susupect. Good air time points but none for style i'm affraid! :D

I caught a glimpse in my peripheral of an instictively 'wrong' motion in my right hand mirror and took a proper look. What I saw was a bit deceptive.

I would just like to point out at this stage that my stopping distance on a wet shiny road is testament to the speed we were travelling, ie. not a lot :D

Back to what I saw in the mirror........ I saw steves bike leave the road with him behind it seemingly running with his arms windmilling. In the fractions of a second I observed this, before resuming my concentration on stopping safely myself, I without doubt thought he had just run onto the grass and jumped off and was now having fun trying to stop down hill!! :D:D

On reflection and going back to the same position it seems what I saw was partially obscured by the brow of the crest. Both he and the bike were at that point airborne! :D It seems he was doing the old air bicycle before initiating the first of his cartwheels!! :thumb:

By the time I had got back to him and pulled up, what he did next was priceless. He popped up out of the bog grass like a mercat with his white helmet on looking left and right to see where he and the bike were!!. Had to chuckle at that! :D

On stumbling down the hill and seeing Steve in reasonably good order I looked down at his feet and was faced with a rather bent bike. 'Any injurys?' I asked

'I think I may have broken my wrist?' as he rolls down his glove to reveal Cadwell Parks' 'Gooseneck' in the flesh! I have to chuckle and just say 'hmm you think?' 'time to get you an ambulance!'

'any other apparent injuries?'

'no I seem to be ok'

'has the pain kicked in yet or are you still on adrenaline?'

'throbbing but no pain yet'

'ok lets get you out of this weather before it does (and you start puking everywhere!)' .......I can do blood n gore and broken bones, but sick! no way can I handle sick.....just the smell! yeuck!

So after getting him on the back of my bike we head off back down the hill to the nearest farm.

Biggest thanks go out here to Jean n John ********************** (no point in telling oiks where its at eh?!). They took it all in their stride and got the kettle on and passed me the phone for the ambulance.

It turns out if it's not motocyclists it's cyclist, or half drowned pot-holers, and walkers!! :D:D

Steve went through the colours of the rainbow once the pain hit but I was amazed it took a good 20 minutes for him to go the same colour as his hair!! I've seen it happen within seconds before, like someone has just pulled their colour plug out!! Well done that man!! resilient old sod!!

The ambulance and a local policeman from Settle got to the farm within about 25 minutes after some misinformation from Control via S.Yorks!?!

Turns out being my old pushbike stomping ground I knew the ambulance driver and the policeman?! small world eh? oh and a couple of the nurses that were dealing with him in A+E!? go figure?!? at least he got looked after eh!

The rest is pretty much as already told, the pictures say the rest. (as soon as they upload!)

hope that clears things up a little. I'm off to bed now, I've been up since 5!! sure glad we had that fry-up!

Thanks for all your kind responses and word of comfort. I'm sure he'll appreciate it............ I just think you are all soft in't heed!! the mans ok!! you should be takin the piss already!! :blob:c'mon I did my bit by giving you the evidence!!

It was in more bog than this. This is after we dragged it 5m out to get the trailer to it.

This was taken from where they actually landed!! Time for a scream and a half by my reckoning!!

This is me doing my stint in the bog whilst trying to take pictures and pic the bike up!! :teeth:
Not hard to imagine this is what Steve saw! :D:D

Steves bike having a breather out to pasture after JOG to LE!! :toothy8:

Very slippy in there!!

Heres the nasty bit: Bike damage!:(

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
If we have someone in the midlands/south midlands, could drop it there so its easier for Chad to get to.
I'm in Coalville leicestershire about 3 miles of Junc 22 and have space in the garage if its needed, its pretty secure. the space is yours for as long as it takes let me know if I can be of any other assistance.

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
Squeemish turn away now!! :D:D:puke:

Ugliest swelling feet in the world might I add!!! :D

Ha ha its all smiles until the painkillers wear off!!! :evil4:

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
And this is the culprit. The photos. don't realy relay the steepness or scale and angle of the corner. Looks impossible to get it wrong from the pictures but I assure you it is quite sharp and sh**ty when it's bouncing down!!

looking back now I wonder if that gully is what snatched him. hmmmm.? maybee? I didn't see that before.

In the picture below just to the right of and just behind that grey plastic piece of pipe is where they landed. In the middle of the wettest bit of bog! You can just make out 2 lines of flattened bog grass.

Steve went in for his op so I set off for home via a freind of mine for pizza and took in some of yorkshires finest thunder clouds!.

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Bloody Hell !!!!!!!!

I just got in......Deja Vu....

Steve was recovering from an op' at last years National......wasn't he ???

Speedy recovery please mate........If you need drugs that bad I'll go find some for you...stop throwing yourself about....you're gettin' old...:cool:

Hope that bikes fully com..If not..we know people....(We don't know anyone with a f**king Transalp engine though!!!!:D).

Sending you healing.. (I fink !!! :angel3:)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I just think you are all soft in't heed!! the mans ok!! you should be takin the piss already!! :blob:
5.50pm yesterday:
How's his hair? :D
And 10.12pm yesterday:
Tell him if needs any help getting over it I know a good counsellor. :D
Some of us are trying to maintain the low standards expected from this site, Yeti.

Thanks for the detailed report.

Tell Steve I rode most of the longest day with him and still slept in my own bed. Taking off and smashing his bike up just like I did to mine, isn't going to make me sleep with him. :D

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Tell Steve I rode most of the longest day with him and still slept in my own bed. Taking off and smashing his bike up just like I did to mine, isn't going to make me sleep with him. :D
and there he was trying to out do you with the broken wrist and foot, now go and kiss and make up you know you want to.:D:D:D

21 - 40 of 368 Posts