Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Le due ruote – La Gazzetta dello Sport

Supposedly, Vito Cicchetti at Honda Italy has revealed in an interview with Motociclismo that there will be an all-new Africa Twin to be revealed during the Intermot in Cologne in 2014.

I have absolutely no idea if gazzetta.it is a trustworthy source. But holy cow, I hope this is true!

Reactions: thedennman

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
That is the old one. All it basically says is wait for Intermot Cologne 2014 and there won't be anything before 2015.

If it's true then about time - although these rumours have been circulating for years. By 2015 there may well be a new lesser capacity KTM Adventure as competition now the big adventure has been hiked up to 1190.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Lets hope Mr Honda sees sense and make something in the spirit of the original.
I suppose a bit more HP, say about 80? maybe an 850 motor, comfy seat, fantastic handling, good two up, and two bug eyes.
And as low tech as possible in these tech obsessed days.
Competing with the Ducati Multi thingy or KTM Adventure in my book would be barking up the wrong tree. How powerful????
Looking towards the BMW F800/Triumph Tiger 800 makes more sense in my eyes.
I would be happy to help with test driving samples.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Why would Honda bring out the cross tourer and cross runner if they were bringing out a new AT, the are even bringing or bought out the cb500 version of an adventure bike. Don't believe the AT will be recarnated:(

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Lets hope the rumors are true!!! Honda are severly lacking in the big adventure bike market at the moment. Yes they do the Crosstourer and Crossrunner, but I don't consider those off road bikes. BMW, Yamaha, KTM and Triumph are the main players in this market now. A simple bike that resembles the original would sell very well in my eyes if they got it right. We will have to wait and see what happens...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lets hope the rumors are true!!! Honda are severly lacking in the big adventure bike market at the moment. Yes they do the Crosstourer and Crossrunner, but I don't consider those off road bikes. BMW, Yamaha, KTM and Triumph are the main players in this market now. A simple bike that resembles the original would sell very well in my eyes if they got it right. We will have to wait and see what happens...
Totally agree, they are using the same engine and frames to produce too many variations, I know the recession has hit everyone hard, but they are loosing what they stand for and becoming boring IMO

·
Registered
155 Posts
I recently went on a trackday and met a chap riding a 700 Transalp,he was an engineer and told me his local honda dealer ,i believe he said in Reading somewhere had a high ranking honda official call at his dealers and asked the manager if he thought a new Africa Twin would sell,the manager said he thought it would sell like hotcakes,the chap from honda said a new one was definatly going to be made but would give no details.This is a true story and i for one believe a new Africa Twin will be made.

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Everyone - don´t hold your breath. I´d just wish all these self-announced Honda insiders out there, apparently being in the know but only making themselves important, would just shut up. These rumours began in 2002 and will not die, until the last of us has bought a GS or a Katie and loses interest, which will sooner or later happen. In the last years there were even outright collections of input for wish-lists started on a number of forums, based on the apparent request by Honda, which all were bogus, but fed with tons of input from dedicated riders. Look at Honda´s current design, look at the removal of the Transalp from the portfolio and figure that Honda is out of the picture for any realistic adventure bike, sad as it is. They learned their lesson from the big ugly failure produced by Yamaha and rarely seen on the road, sadly called a Teneré.

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
195 Posts
As others mentioned rumuors have been around for years and I don't want to fuel anyones hopes (especially not my own) but it seems there really is going on something. The Honda dealer that services my bike also mentioned that Honda will bring a new AT.
But to be honest, if Honda finally brings something new, I fear it will be some monster with too many horse power, too much weight, way too little ground clearance and a tank so small that you have to use just about every gas station you pass on your way. Not to speak of that totally boring DCT system!
So lets just properly maintain the AT's we currently ride and enjoy them as much as we can.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
only thing I can add is that the Gazzetta is normally a good reputable source of information as the main sports newspaper back home.....I would love to see the new AT and hope Honda gets it right this time....:confused:

·
Registered
261 Posts
What does the Ecu do in these bikes? I would like a modern, mechanical bike with simple wiring, carbs that I can maintain and fix on a roadside.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yep. K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple, stupid!) Please, not some lardy, overweight, overly complex BM/KTM/Yamaha/etc clone. A real, fixable in the wild bike without all the electrickery would have me hanging on the dealer's door. Or maybe I should go back to my R80G/S P.D. Rufty Tufty is what we need, not a rolling Ipad !
There, rant over. Are you listening Mr Honda?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Yep. K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple, stupid!) Please, not some lardy, overweight, overly complex BM/KTM/Yamaha/etc clone. A real, fixable in the wild bike without all the electrickery would have me hanging on the dealer's door. Or maybe I should go back to my R80G/S P.D. Rufty Tufty is what we need, not a rolling Ipad !
There, rant over. Are you listening Mr Honda?
well said !:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
With points ignition and carbs, you're going to stand approximately zero chance of going through modern emissions tests so quite simply you won't get a simple points and carbs bike any more. If you want that then you need to buy a used one.

The AT is a massive lump of metal with little in the way of horsepower. It could easily fall into the lardy and overweight category and it's certainly hopelessly underpowered by modern standards. It's got chokes that stick, rectifiers that fry and then fry the ECU if you're unlucky, fuel pumps that give up and yet people go all over the world on them. People also go all over the world on modern BMs and KTMs without any issues whatsoever.

I hope Honda do build something appropriate to compete with the F800GS and whatever KTM build to plug the gap in their current range (a 750 to 800 cc V-Twin lighter than the 990 please but with decent power). If they do, it is not going to be low tech and they're going to have to go some because KTM have a 10 year head start.

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
531 Posts
If the rumours turn out to be true that's great but I suspect I'll be keeping my 2 @'s. I'd really fancy a new @ based on the relatively simple NC700, say upped to 750cc with around 65 bhp, 21/18" wire wheels, appropriate suspension, possibly a strengthened frame, no more than 210 kilos wet weight, and larger under-seat fuel tank. As someone said, there's no proper dual pupose bikes in Honda's range any longer (aside from the 250cc CRF trailie).

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not that the @ is but I prefer the tanks on top so I don't have to worry about fuel pumps.

So, what does the Ecu actually do? Is it to control the fuelling mainly?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts