Honda XRV Forum banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,067 Posts
Face it - we will never have another AT. I will probably cherish and fettle the one I have - look at other similar bikes and find all manner if reasons why they are not as good as my trusty old AT - like a good pair of walking boots - they don't make them like that any more.
That's another reason I have the two

Now if they used the SP1 lump.............hmmm

·
Registered
136 Posts
Suppose the Africa Twin was the ultimate evolution of an old engine.

The changes to the head on the 700 Transalp gaining 20% more power shows how much can be done to change things.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,096 Posts
If Honda do produce a "new" AT- I wont bother - not least cos I can't afford to but if I could I still would not, because the mighty behemoth that Honda is, can't get past all the rules and regs that cover modern bikes and in my opinion, modern bikes have an ever decreasing soul that, like the balloons in Up!, gradually fail to lift the mind.

I would however, if I did have that level of cash, get an Africa Twin and do a nut and bolt rebuild. Update things like suspension, cherry picking from the very best on offer and grafting it on. I would look at maximising engine performance/mpg with some electricery/engine parts and overall I would do what we want Mr Honda to do and don't change the recipe, just improve the ingredients.

Oh, and I would paint it black ...... matt black ....... with a brush!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I would however, if I did have that level of cash, get an Africa Twin and do a nut and bolt rebuild. Update things like suspension, cherry picking from the very best on offer and grafting it on. I would look at maximising engine performance/mpg with some electricery/engine parts and overall I would do what we want Mr Honda to do and don't change the recipe, just improve the ingredients.
That's what I did, along with many others on here. I like the simplicity, reliability and tractability/character of the AT engine though so that sat ignored on the garage floor while the suspension was upgraded, frame powder coated, wheels rebuilt and Rugged Roads rally fairing added (By Chad and Jonathan no less!)

The closest I got was adding a Pipercross air filter and Venom end can - made enough of a difference to need bigger main jets.

And yes, it's black. :D

A new AT would be like the new MINI...probably a fine vehicle in its own right (The things are everywhere!) but not an Africa Twin to me.

As I said to a friend...vital questions when buying an adventure bike for that lot:

• SIDE CASES: WHICH SHADE OF GREY IS BEST?
  • FOGLIGHTS: HOW MANY IS NOT ENOUGH?
  • TYRES: CHOOSE THE RIGHT 'OFF-ROAD' TYRES FOR YOUR COMMUTE ON THE M25

Mine has been sat in the garage covered in mud from many trail rides and rallys over the years, so I never hesitate to rip the piss out of spotless adventure bikers...

I don't want the name associated with the next Ewan McBoorman chariot either.

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
Best case scenario for a new AT will probably be the difference between say a 1992 GS and a 2013 GS.

Both are fine bikes, but if one ignores the badge on the tank (and the shape of the engine) you wouldn't think they're related.

The AT is a bit like an Airhead GS: Simple. Carbs. Fixable. Can be worked on at the side of the road. (Though with a lot more cursing and chafed knuckles than on the GS, I gather :mrgreen:)

Any new bike from Honda will probably be more like the new liquid cooled GS: Bring a credit card... ;-)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Great find. Upside down forks, round headlights and classic clocks. Maybe this is the strongest info yet?

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Right. No filing number provided of the alleged pending application. BTW, what´s the patent about? A design patent on a motorcycle appearance lik this? Give me a break. Smells like a hoax.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Right. No filing number provided of the alleged pending application. BTW, what´s the patent about? A design patent on a motorcycle appearance lik this? Give me a break. Smells like a hoax.
I guess do folks dislike their current A.T.'s so much that they're waiting so much for the RD07b ;)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Actually I love my Africa Twin, I loved all seven of them!

BUT,,,,

Time stops for no man, I want a new bike that I'll love as much as my beloved RD04, bring on the new Africa Twin, if I like it, I'll have one!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I wonder whether Honda is orchestrating all these rumors, pictures, bits and bobs that crop up here and there, just to create as much hype/expectations as possible.......is it a new marketing strategy....?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I wonder whether Honda is orchestrating all these rumors, pictures, bits and bobs that crop up here and there, just to create as much hype/expectations as possible.......is it a new marketing strategy....?
Triumph did with the new Tiger 800XC, they released information and pics to MCN on a regular basis to keep the public strung along until the launch and held special open days and evenings to launch the bikes. It caught my attention and even led to a sale, pity about the aftersales or I might have stayed with Triumph but that's another story.
Well, I'm following all the info on the new Africa Twin and, hook, line and sinker, I'm there! Bring on the launch, hope there's free beer \nd nibbles? (take note Honda Ecosse!)

81 - 95 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.