Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recomend any good maps of Germany? Ones with enough detail to pick enjoyable riding roads. I am heading down through the Black Forest and into Switzerland this June and would like a good map with enough detail to pour over and plan details.
I have booked stopovers allready and once I get to the top end of the Black Forest I want to link the stopovers with some fun riding roads and passes, not dual carriageways or motorways.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I spent ages last year looking and I could either get really detailed maps (of which I would need many) or one that covered most of Germany which was pretty useless.

I ended up buying the regional map Michelin Regional Maps and it was pretty good and covered all but the smallest roads

Reactions: Traveller

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blimey, that was a quick response. I have been trawling the web for something like those maps you pointed out. They are ideal, three miles to an inch in real money :D
Thanks for the heads up.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
I have a few sets of those, your more than welcome to borrow.
I found the best (for me) was the Falk Straßenatlas, ring bound spine and it fits in the map pocket of the tankbag

Available from Amazon for €6

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I ended up buying the regional map Michelin Regional Maps and it was pretty good and covered all but the smallest roads
Agree, the Michelin maps really are the touring motorcyclists friend. I did have a bikers map of Germany and Benelux back in the dark ages, but the Mich maps were better ;)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have a few sets of those, your more than welcome to borrow.
I found the best (for me) was the Falk Straßenatlas, ring bound spine and it fits in the map pocket of the tankbag

Available from Amazon for €6
Thanks for the reply and the kind offer Nick. Our family is a bit selfish with maps. If we borrow one it is rarely returned (these words are aimed at our daughter). She is a magpie with maps. When I asked her why she was so interested in maps her reply was "when I was little and you an mum got the maps out I new we were going on an adventure". She now makes maps for a living! She is the named mapping geologist on some of the UKs base maps. This summer she is surveying the land nort east of Loch Lomond. She has just completed the Forres area south east of Inverness. Out in a Hilux pickup for weeks on end.
Anyway, enough about the map magpie. As well as the Black Forest Switzerland bike run in June, I am taking the campervan to the Moselle region so I am looking to buy a set of maps as keepers for the future.
I have also looked longingly at your Dambuster tour. It falls on dated we set aside for other things however Mrs Traveller has an opportunity to attend an event on those days that would free me up. Its only a glimmer of a chance at the moment but if she does go to a conference I will be doing something on the bike.

Ps just to be clear does the spiral bound map cover Switzerland?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
+1 for the Falk maps!

Plus the ADAC do a whole series of recommended routes for Germany, Austria and the land of the cuckoo clock... but they're around 15€ a shot...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree, the Michelin maps really are the touring motorcyclists friend. I did have a bikers map of Germany and Benelux back in the dark ages, but the Mich maps were better ;)
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1 for the Falk maps!

Plus the ADAC do a whole series of recommended routes for Germany, Austria and the land of the cuckoo clock... but they're around 15€ a shot...
Thanks for the reply, I have been on the Amazon site using snaphappys link but am struggling to follow the buying process (language barrier)!

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Traveller, yes mate they cover Germany and Austria at 1:300,000 and Switzerland at 1:301,000

then there is main routes of Europe too. I prefer the spiral bound to the bedsheet type especially on the bike. For planning though a huge outspread map enhances the excitement, looks like your daughter got hooked well and truly:thumbright:

Here's a link to their site, just keep your daughter away it will be like 40 shades of grey to her :angel4:
http://www.falk.de/
[URL="http://shop.falk.de/"]http://shop.falk.de/

[/URL]

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
If i go abroad i normally take Michelin maps with me but ialso have MOTRAX maps and sat nav. Michelin are very good and i always buy them form this firm below who are very good and are only around the corner from my works. They sell lots of other brands of maps aswell and are normally very good on price. Also do very competitive prices on leatherman and victorinox. LAst knife i bought from them was £37 Cotswold wanted £63 for the same knife

Michelin Maps & Guides - Maps of France, Spain, Italy and the rest of Europe - Dash 4 It

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Michelin or Falks every time. I usually buy from Maps, Travel Books, Guides and Travel Information - Stanfords "the only map and travel store you need" :cool:
Hi, thanks for the advice, my daughter, the map magpie I refered to earlier in the thread is in Stanfords today. She has been briefed with the information the people have provided on here and I will add yor contribution.
I would have liked to buy off the German Amazon site but struggled to decipher the language.
Anyway I have my expert briefed by this site, she is also a motorcyclist so understans the practicalities of using maps on a bike.
My final challenge will be to prize the maps from her grasp.

Thanks to yourself, and everyone else for posting.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have one and it's a day old. Turned out to be A4 size so won't fit in my map pocket ! DOH ! If anyone is interested, I'll take a fiver for it. Les

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I have one and it's a day old. Turned out to be A4 size so won't fit in my map pocket ! DOH ! If anyone is interested, I'll take a fiver for it. Les
This size is perfect as you can open them up in the map pocket of your tank bag and leave them there, they are what i tend to use but could do with updating them now

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yep, that's the size I should have got. Daft mistake; mea culpa... Do you know if they do the Germany, Austria, Switzerland in the smaller size?
Cheers
Les

·
KTM 990 ADV
341 Posts
Hey up jason,
where would i get the 7x5 up to date version of the michelin german atlas.
Tez

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Try these people they are very good, if you cant see on the website ring them as they may not have them listed on the website service is really good and i tend to use them as they are 500yds from my works so i can order online and pick up at the store which save's waiting for the post or couriers. I've been in there warehouse and have never seen an area so vast just full of maps it's astronomical i had one issue whee i order a big travel atlas of France last year a michelin one and went to pick it up and they couldn't find it must have been soild out and they couldn't get me one with in a day or two so they gave me this huge map / atlas MAde by AA and they only charged me the Michelin price which was about £8 cheaper as they said it was their mistake. I was happy i had a map which would do what i needed it for

Michelin Maps & Guides - Maps of France, Spain, Italy and the rest of Europe - Dash 4 It

Also try
http://www.waterstones.com/watersto...tring=michelin+7x7+atlas&typeAheadFormSubmit=

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/Books&gq=michelin motoring atlas

Hope these help a bit

1 - 18 of 18 Posts