Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Bus Driver
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks
Just wondering whats the max distance you've travelled in 1 day on your bike??
My max is 370 miles or there abouts, and that was pretty easy going without any panic..
Thing is I've had an idea for a one off trip, but i'm not sure its possible..

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Max I've done is only 520, could have done more but that's what it was from a to b:p many on here have done more including the longest day from John Ogroats to Lands End, 874 I think. So what's you plan?

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
1100 miles in one 24 hour stint, it's not too bad if your up for it, but another time, a 500 mile stint was a killer when tried.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
1100 miles in one 24 hour stint, it's not too bad if your up for it, but another time, a 500 mile stint was a killer when tried.
That's a 45 mph average. Not bad, assuming you had to stop a few times to take on new liquids and get rid of the 'recycled' ones. And some food as well I'd imagine. ;-)

My longest ones have been +/- 450 miles motorway to Berlin (on a rotten seat!), and +/- 280 all backroads from Harwich to Llyn Gwynant last year. Both were over before things got unpleasant.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
850+/-, strangely enough... never had a prob with the sore arse on the @ after that.

·
Registered
942 Posts
few years back was travelling round the states , was making my way from the grand canyon up to the sturgis rally in south dakota, in 3 days did nearly 2,400 that was 2 days of over 750 miles followed by a third day of about 850 miles, was riding my brothers ratty bmw k100,
couldnt even think about it these days,a hundred miles and my backside has had enough

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
hi folks
Just wondering whats the max distance you've travelled in 1 day on your bike??
My max is 370 miles or there abouts, and that was pretty easy going without any panic..
Thing is I've had an idea for a one off trip, but i'm not sure its possible..
The max i did in 1 day was from Caen in Northern France to Valencia in Spain. It would have been done over 2 days but thanks to the Pont Avon loosing all it's Hydraulics when it docked at Plymouth i then had to ride to Portsmouth to get the ferry into Caen losing a couple of hotel bookings i made which i don't normally do and giving me a lot longer ride made it around 850 miles if i remember correctly it was a long days riding at high speeds to make up lost ground 2 up in +40 degree heat i wouldn't do that again. I only did it then as i was heading down to visit family and had agree'd to meet them. I was fighting tiredness and dehydration most of the way

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
1204 miles in 20 hours. John O'Groats to Landsend and then up to Nottingham... I was knackered and to be honest it was boarderline dangerous at the end...

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
longest single hit I ever did was 724 km from here to my parents, so thats about 450miles. Wasn't on the tralp though but an XJ900.

longest single run on the tralp was from here (auxerre) to Perouges for lunch (I never turn down a free meal!) & back. it was 580 km (360 miles) but I'd had a good rest & feed in the middle. Otherwise 490km back from Phil in France's place the other year was about as much as I can take in a single sitting on the tralp. That's only 300miles.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Done 4-500 mile days in the past on a TA back in the late 80s.

My feeling now is it is not so much distance as time. 6-7hrs on mountain roads can be real fun but will leave you knackered! :) Same time on motorways will leave you bored and sore but with a big distance covered.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I've done 2 500 mile+ days on the Vara. First was Chamberey to Calais (then through tunnel to Dymchurch!) Last leg of trip to Sicicly. Two up with a very unhappy bunny on ther back. No way was I stopping so that she could tell me how wet she was! Second was Calais to Brientz in Switzerland, ready to do the Grimsel, Furka and Susten passes. Mentally shattered at the end of both, but physically OK

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Did the first long day ride Jog to LE and it shattered me. Done a couple of French blats now and the one to Pyrenees was the hardest near 700 miles if I remember, but the further south I rode in France and the temp increased leading to extra fatigue and was mostly motorway which does increase boredom

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
No records for max distance but there have been a couple in the 4-500 mile range. I did manage the first 290 miles home from the campsite at the Welsh national without stopping or putting a foot down. Only thing that scuppered me was a set of temp traffic lights about 30 miles from home. It was like a circus act me trying to delay my arrival at the lights but all to no avail.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
have done all the Tld,s
max for those was Jogle
but my absolute max was
Fauske to Bergen Norway
1280 miles in 23hrs arriving in Bergen just in time to join the end of the queue for the Ferry ......

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
TLD 2009 (on the @)
and about 500 up to altberg and back in one day....(Dero)

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
It was just shy of 700.... NEVER AGAIN!
We got lost in lower France. We now try to restrict any day to 300 max.
I know that makes it difficult to cover large distances, but "I'm on vacation!" :mrgreen:
When we retire, we are going to do Italy at a very most of 50 to 100 max per day.
I've ridden with Sean, I think he did 700 miles in that two hours ;) :mrgreen:

·
Hill Rider
3,086 Posts
South Wales to the Highlands on the @ this June = 540 and a bit miles . . . and that was after a weeks riding it south round the Lake district, North & West Wales

Steve T

:cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts